Cell Phone Question

I haven't received an answer on the other board I posted in. Trying again. My son is in Basic Training for the Air Force and he gets one phone call in week 4 (and one in week 6). I will be on the Independence of the Seas cruise to Haiti and Jamaica during his week 4. I can't find accurate information on receiving phone calls--other than suggestions for using text and email. Not an option, when I want to hear his voice! I only have a pay as you go plan on AT&T and they said I can't get an international plan.

I have ordered an international SIM card with a UK number that is good for 190 countries. So...for this cruise, should I tell my son to call the international number? Will that work on the ship?

Thanks!

Do you have WiFi calling enabled on your phone? That would probably be the easiest way to enable voice calling. You would have to buy the ship's internet package (VOOM) for those days you want to receive phone calls.

The problem with using voice over internet is that not only must your phone be switched over to using wireless instead of cell, but you also must be logged on. So you need to either buy a daily package for $20 and be logged in or buy one of the full cruise packages.

Make sure you check how your phone does this before you go. For my LG phone on Metro PCS I have to switch to airplane mode, set it to "wireless only" but not "wireless preferred", open the wireless page and select the Royal ship network, and then log in with the code they give me. Generally I am OK at that point unless I log on with a different device (you can use more than one device, but only one at a time). Each phone and plan works a bit differently.

Easiest way to check if your wireless is connected is to open an internet browser. And then you can always call your home phone to verify voice over internet is working.

Why don't you let him call someone who he knows will be available for his week 4 call, and call you during week 6 when you have returned from your cruise. You will see him at graduation which is week 7 I believe. Enjoy your cruise and your trip to Lackland...

Do you have WiFi calling enabled on your phone? That would probably be the easiest way to enable voice calling. You would have to buy the ship's internet package (VOOM) for those days you want to receive phone calls.

Unfortunately, wifi calling doesn't work with Pay as You Go plans...boo

Why don't you let him call someone who he knows will be available for his week 4 call, and call you during week 6 when you have returned from your cruise. You will see him at graduation which is week 7 I believe. Enjoy your cruise and your trip to Lackland...

He doesn't have a girlfriend--he could call a friend, but to be honest, it wouldn't be the same moral support, I don't think. And yes, there is the week 6 phone call, as well as letters! It just seems silly that AT&T won't let me sign up for their ship plan with my Pay as You Go account. I am really looking forward to Graduation--I hear that I will see a transformed son : )

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I think I have figured it out: By using Google Voice, through wifi, I can give my son that phone number to use and he should be able to call me over Wifi. Now, I will simply sign up for the ship's wifi plan. It "should" work, as long as the wifi is working. Now....to see if my summer clothes still fit! : ) Bon Voyage!

In December we cruised to to Caribbean , it was my best friends birthday and wanted send her a happy birthday message. Using WiFi in the area I sent her the message. When I got my cell bill, there was a $30 charge for that text. I had to turn off airplane mode and turn on cellular. From now on, they can wait until I get back to wish happy birthday. My husband used his phone and had a $14 charge. This has never happened before. Especially when I had Verizon. I looked into getting an international plan but that would have started at &40.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can he FaceTime? We have FT with the DS and DIL when the granddaughter came early and we were in the middle of the Caribbean. We have also used WiFi calling many times in port and at sea. We have ATT and do have the international and Mexico plan. But have found the WiFi calling, plus text, to be the cheapest while on the ship. Yes, you do have to be logged on and pay for the WiFi. But if you know what day to expect his call you can buy it just for the day.

Our DS has 20 years in the Army and I totally get it. His first deployment to Iraqi I bought a Sat phone for him. It was a $1 a minute. But those ten minute Sunday morning phone calls were priceless, even when I heard gun fire in the background.

In December we cruised to to Caribbean , it was my best friends birthday and wanted send her a happy birthday message. Using WiFi in the area I sent her the message. When I got my cell bill, there was a $30 charge for that text. I had to turn off airplane mode and turn on cellular. From now on, they can wait until I get back to wish happy birthday. My husband used his phone and had a $14 charge. This has never happened before. Especially when I had Verizon. I looked into getting an international plan but that would have started at &40.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you had to turn on cellular, that is not wi-fi calling and you will have to pay extra for cellular usage. You never want to turn cellular on if you are trying to make wifi calls. I am not sure about using texting over wifi.I do not think that can be done. I know you can send imessages between apple devices using wifi. Also you can send a text using email. You just need to know the carrier of the person you are texting. Then you put the phone number and the @domain for that provider. Below are some examples.

Carrier -- SMS gateway domain -- MMS gateway domain

Alltel -- [insert 10-digit number]@message.alltel.com -- [insert 10-digit number]@mms.alltelwireless.com

AT&T -- [insert 10-digit number]@txt.att.net -- insert 10-digit number]@mms.att.net

Boost Mobile -- [insert 10-digit number]@myboostmobile.com -- [insert 10-digit number]@myboostmobile.com

Cricket Wireless -- no sms -- [insert 10-digit number]@mms.cricketwireless.net

Project Fi -- no sms -- [insert 10-digit number]@msg.fi.google.com

Sprint -- [insert 10-digit number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com -- [insert 10-digit number]@pm.sprint.com

T-Mobile -- [insert 10-digit number]@tmomail.net -- [insert 10-digit number]@tmomail.net

U.S. Cellular -- [insert 10-digit number]@email.uscc.net -- [insert 10-digit number]@mms.uscc.net

Verizon -- [insert 10-digit number]@vtext.com -- [insert 10-digit number]@vzwpix.com

Virgin Mobile -- [insert 10-digit number]@vmobl.com -- [insert 10-digit number]@vmpix.com

Republic Wireless -- [insert 10-digital number]@text.republicwireless.com -- no mms

... I am not sure about using texting over wifi.I do not think that can be done.

I can send/receive both SMS and MMS text messages on my iPhone using WiFi calling on AT&T. This is not iMessage, I have that turned off.

Best of luck to your son. My nephew is at Lackland right now in basic (maybe they are in the same flight- he left on Feb. 13). My sister and brother in law are very excited for him and waiting for the week 4 call as well but they are booked on a cruise with us which is the weekend AFTER his scheduled graduation. They are praying he doesn't get recycled as that would put graduation and cruise the same week :(

I can send/receive both SMS and MMS text messages on my iPhone using WiFi calling on AT&T. This is not iMessage, I have that turned off.

Cool, good to know. I was not 100% sure about it. The times we have been out of the country we have only really needed to text with other iPhone users. I do know that you absolutely do not want your cellular turned.

ATT plan only covers port days at $10 per day if part of their network. I bought the RCCL wifi and I still got hit with $125 cell phone data fees. (ATT did fix that, though.)

OP has ATT prepaid service. Neither an international plan or cruise ship plan is an option as prepaid does not support international roaming.

Best of luck to your son. My nephew is at Lackland right now in basic (maybe they are in the same flight- he left on Feb. 13). My sister and brother in law are very excited for him and waiting for the week 4 call as well but they are booked on a cruise with us which is the weekend AFTER his scheduled graduation. They are praying he doesn't get recycled as that would put graduation and cruise the same week :(

Oh wow! My son left on Feb. 6, so one week off. And yes, I am also praying he doesn't get recycled--what a hassle to change plans--even more so, a cruise. Hope your nephew does well. So far, through my son's letters, seem like he is OK.

My son will be with us on your cruise, he completed basic at Lackland in September. I'm sure he'll be happy to share his experience if you want. We would also be able to share our experiences at graduation.

Oh wow! My son left on Feb. 6, so one week off. And yes, I am also praying he doesn't get recycled--what a hassle to change plans--even more so, a cruise. Hope your nephew does well. So far, through my son's letters, seem like he is OK.

No letters yet to my sister from her son. They are counting the days! I hope that you are able to get the phone call.