Gangway deck

casandbliz

The state of the tide can make a difference. The ship goes up and down with the tide...

SO true! There have been times when the degree of the slope of the gangway changes dramatically between disembarking in a port and re-boarding the ship.

For docks it can vary considerably. Have seen everything from deck 7 to deck 5. Have also seen it change from arrival to departure as the tides change. Most often deck 5. Some ports have cruise terminals with the same kinds of automated ramps like you encounter at home ports. Those are usually deck 7.

For tenders deck 4.

For docks it can vary considerably. Have seen everything from deck 7 to deck 5. Have also seen it change from arrival to departure as the tides change. Most often deck 5. Some ports have cruise terminals with the same kinds of automated ramps like you encounter at home ports. Those are usually deck 7.

For tenders deck 4.

I thought when using tenders it is really deck 3. When boarding tenders you are led down steps from deck 4 to 3. When returning to the ship you walk up a set of stairs to deck 4 where you then can get an elevator.

I thought when using tenders it is really deck 3. When boarding tenders you are led down steps from deck 4 to 3. When returning to the ship you walk up a set of stairs to deck 4 where you then can get an elevator.

THANK YOU Caribill, this is something I did not know. As I use a Rollator for mobility, I was already concerned about safely using a tender. If there are steps to negotiate, that makes it unsafe for me. So check tender ports, realise conditions may change, and plan a peaceful day aboard. Sounds nice!:D

Depends upon how you want to look at it, to go reach the tender you have to go down to deck 4, then after exiting the public area you take a stairs down to the tender ramp, which might be technical on the same level as deck 3, but cannot be reached by the public areas except at deck four.

By the same reasoning one might look at the pier exit as being the bottom of the ramp (pier level) instead of the level at which you leave the public space.

THANK YOU Caribill, this is something I did not know. As I use a Rollator for mobility, I was already concerned about safely using a tender. If there are steps to negotiate, that makes it unsafe for me. So check tender ports, realise conditions may change, and plan a peaceful day aboard. Sounds nice!:D

For those who really need it, the staff may have an elevator available to get from deck 4 down to the tender area. Just ask.