Gratuity on drink package and specialty dining package

Dennis11003

Wife and I both retired in 2016 and are going on our first cruise (bucket list item). We are on the NCL Epic from Cape Canaveral to the Bahamas on March 3rd.

We received the unlimited drink package and specialty dining package as a bonus from NCL at no charge. Do we have to pay gratuities on these two items since we technically did not purchase? I know we have to pay the daily gratuity charge which comes out to $108 for the two of us for the cruise!

Really looking forward to our first, of hopefully, many more cruises.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Wife and I both retired in 2016 and are going on our first cruise (bucket list item). We are on the NCL Epic from Cape Canaveral to the Bahamas on March 3rd.

We received the unlimited drink package and specialty dining package as a bonus from NCL at no charge. Do we have to pay gratuities on these two items since we technically did not purchase? I know we have to pay the daily gratuity charge which comes out to $108 for the two of us for the cruise!

Really looking forward to our first, of hopefully, many more cruises.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

The package is free but you still have to pay the 20% gratuities on the value of each package. It is billed on your final payment invoice.

You may want to search some boards that talk about the drink packages to see how to really get your money's worth. Also giving the bartender an extra $1 here or there can ensure even better service. Here's something I copied recently that everyone on another post loved. Yes it refers to Carnival but may help on NCL too.

Just got back from theCarnival Splendor for the 8 day Southern Caribbean itinerary. Loved the shipand the crew, nothing but nice things to say about the experience.

Thought I would share a few notes on how my wifeand I felt we got the most out of Cheers while on board.

A) The Steakhouse has a nice rose champagne byHeidsieck that is $20 per glass and very nice. We each had 3 glasses withdinner on embarkation day and this alone made that day a big value.

B) Roca Patron Silver: $15 per shot at the poolbar. Incredibly smooth, goes down like water.(Also goes great stirred into aMargarita after 5 minutes ) Don't forget to pace yourself !

C) Order your favorite frozen beverage, wait 5,and ask for an additional shot of your favorite ultra premium liquor on theside to stir in since they frozen drinks can taste pretty weak.

D) Asking for Pellegrino at the beginning of ourMDR meals and request the large bottle of still water with dessert to bringback to the room or off with you in port.

E) Hitting the coffee bar before breakfast aswell as after dessert/before night activities to get some pep.

F) We noticed that once we started tipping $1per drink (in addition to the auto gratuity ofc) we started (1) receivingincreasingly generous pours by the bartenders as the trip progressed and (2)being given priority when bars were busy with MDR waits /busy comedy clubnights, etc.

my tip for the cheers package and drinking wine is this. mywife discovered on our last cruise on the pride that david's steak house has afull service bar. we have eaten many times at the steak house and knew therewas a bar but never thought of going there to order a drink. we were watching amovie on the lido deck and she wanted wine but did not feel like going to thebars on the 2nd and 3rd deck to get some. i suggested going to the bar at thesteak house and see if you can order wine there since they have a betterselection anyway. she did and the bartender was more than happy to serve her.and said he is usually very bored because no one goes to the bar he only makesdrinks for the waitresses to deliver to the tables. he said that he was open anhour after the steak house hours say they close. she went back probably 4 moretimes that night and ordered wine then left with it. i would imagine all thesteak houses have a bar that you can order from even if you are not eating atthe restaurant.

You would think that paying an automatic 20 percent gratuity should be more than sufficient to get good bar service.

Roz

The 20% service charge on the "free" (sic) beverage or dining packages from NCL is not a gratuity and does not go into the bar or dining tipping pools. It is solely a cost recovery fee to offset the reduced on board spend. Has been posted on the NCL board that officers on board the ships have admitted as much during their Q&A session held most cruises.

I've never sailed Norwegian, so please excuse my stupidity. Since the service charge doesn't cover service, are you expected to come up with another 15-20 percent in tips or tip with cash?

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app