Is there a messaging app on Liberty of the Seas

deek05

Is there a messaging app for messaging others on Liberty of the Seas? If so, cost? We previously sailed on Disney and you were able to use their app free of charge. They also provided cordless phones for calling/texting. Any thing similar?

Is there a messaging app for messaging others on Liberty of the Seas? If so, cost? We previously sailed on Disney and you were able to use their app free of charge. They also provided cordless phones for calling/texting. Any thing similar?

Currently no messaging app for Liberty, and no ETA for when one might be available.

I was wondering about walkie talkies? Might that work? anyone try them?? Are they allowed?

We used the "Whatsup" app 2 years ago. I guess we had bought the wifi. The app was very slow and so was internet. This time I am not buying wifi.

just want to get a way from it.. but might need to find the family and I don't want to be wandering around to then find out they are in the pool dancing! ;p;p;p;)

Mary R

Houston, TX

I was wondering about walkie talkies? Might that work? anyone try them?? Are they allowed? ...

They are allowed on the ship when in international waters, but regulations vary country to country with regard to using them on shore. We have not had good luck with walkie talkies onboard. Once we are separated by a few decks, communication was poor to impossible.

We used the "Whatsup" app 2 years ago. I guess we had bought the wifi. The app was very slow and so was internet. This time I am not buying wifi.

Be adivsed that with the introduction of VOOM, some ship's WiFi has gotten much better in the last two years, especially on Liberty since last summer's upgrade to O3B supported internet.

Do guests use phones in the halls to call their room to keep in touch with their family? Or apps on the phones- you must buy wifi?

Guests can use the phones in near the elevator lobbies to call staterooms.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have an international calling plan can you text home ? or text each other without using Wifi/Zoom?

wondering if you need to be in a certain port to do that?

And do you have to have the Zoom/ wifi to text each other on the ship? Seems so limited by today's standards.

If you have an international calling plan can you text home ? or text each other without using Wifi/Zoom?

And do you have to have the Zoom/ wifi to text each other on the ship? Seems so limited by today's standards.

This may vary by carrier, so it's best to confirm with your carrier, but I don't believe that an international calling plan will allow you to text while at sea.

This may vary by carrier, so it's best to confirm with your carrier, but I don't believe that an international calling plan will allow you to text while at sea.

I do not know of any international plan from any carrier that includes usage on the cruise ship. Some carriers offer cruise ship plans but most only offer pay per use rates. As for needing voom/wifi to text each other, you can not "text" as in sending SMS or MMS messages over voom unless your carrier supports wifi calling. SMS and MMS messages can only be sent over a cellular carrier's network unless you are using a third party app such as WhatsApp that will do that for you. You can use alternate messaging systems such as iMessage or Facebook messenger over wifi but SMS/MMS is cellular networks only. Onboard the ship, that means either wifi calling or cellular at sea. As for messaging in general, you need some sort of network connection to send and receive any messages, be that wifi or cellular. There are apps that can communicate phone to phone over bluetooth but bottom line, your phone needs some sort of connection to send or receive messages.

• 1 year later...