Enhanced Driver’s Licenses acceptable? Rookie cruiser from Michigan here...

El Gogo

simple question here.....our first cruise will be in June this year, Galveston to Mexico and back. Wife and I are from Michigan, and I just became a US citizen last December. Both of us now have Enhanced Driver’s Licenses. Question is: can we use that as our ID and not bring our birth certificates? My understanding is that our EDL’s work similarly to a US Passport Card.

Thanks in advance

Your birth certificate would not work to provide proof of US citizenship. If you just became a US citizen, you must have been born in another country. So you would have had to bring your naturalization papers. EM

Just out of interest, since you went through the (relatively expensive) process of getting naturalized, why not get a passport at the same time? That's what I did. Eventually any passport you have from your birth country will expire, and is usually more difficult to renew remotely. Or are you not intending to travel "back home" (or anywhere other than cruises) very much?

I will admit I travel internationally a lot for business and pleasure, so it was very automatic for me.

I do plan to get a US passport soon, but as of right now we are trying to save money for other things . But definitely will get a US Passport because I do plan to travel back to my birth country and others .

he became a U.S. citizen, not an American.

According to Webster's Dictionary the OP is most definitely American based on definition 3 (see below). If you accept that the OP is now a U.S. Citizen, then the OP is AMERICAN. What is your motivation for suggesting otherwise?

AMERICAN

noun Amer·i·can \ ə-ˈmer-ə-kən , -ˈmər- , -ˈme-rə- \

Definition of American

: an American Indian of North America or South America

: a native or inhabitant of North America or South America

: a native or inhabitant of the U.S. : a U.S. citizen