Princess Alaska pricing

vedettes1

Looking at Alaska from Seattle for June/July, there is a choice between Ruby and Emerald. The ports are identical but Ruby goes to Glacier Bay while Emerald goes to Tracy Arm. For balcony Ruby is about 40% more expensive. Is there that much of a premium for going to Glacier Bay? Any thoughts from an experienced Alaska cruiser would be appreciated.

Wow, that's a lot! OK, Glacier Bay requires a special license to get in and they only allow a limited number of ships in each season. It is also the big name "must see." That said, our first Alaska cruise did Tracy Arm and we were not disappointed.

I can't tell you the right thing to do. We have booked Glacier Bay on the Golden this summer; I was pleased with the pricing we got.

If you only get one Alaska cruise then Glacier Bay is pretty much a "must do" item. There is also an issue with some of the cruises that go to Tracy Arm instead as they sometimes don't make it to the glacier due to ice. Glacier Bay is always visited on the cruises that offer that option. We've done Glacier Bay twice and would likely (depending on the time of year) opt for Tracy Arm the next time we do Alaska. (Yes, we will almost certainly return.)

I can't really tell you which route to take. My only advice for Alaska with Princess would be "any ship but Island Princess" unless there is no other option that will fit for you. It sounds as if this isn't an issue in your particular case so you at least don't have that to worry about.

Looking at Alaska from Seattle for June/July, there is a choice between Ruby and Emerald. The ports are identical but Ruby goes to Glacier Bay while Emerald goes to Tracy Arm. For balcony Ruby is about 40% more expensive. Is there that much of a premium for going to Glacier Bay? Any thoughts from an experienced Alaska cruiser would be appreciated.

It is not that there is that much extra cost to Princess. It is a matter of demand vs supply. As others pointed out, Glacier Bay is the choice if you will only be in Alaska one time. Thus the demand.

I have taken three cruises that were supposed to visit Tracy Arm. One went part way up (not far enough to see a glacier) and the other two simply skipped it altogether. My cruises did not substitute Endicott arm, but I have heard that some do. I loved all my trips to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I wouldn't take another Alaskan cruise that only included Tracy Arm for Glacier viewing .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have taken three cruises that were supposed to visit Tracy Arm. One went part way up (not far enough to see a glacier) and the other two simply skipped it altogether. My cruises did not substitute Endicott arm, but I have heard that some do. I loved all my trips to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I wouldn't take another Alaskan cruise that only included Tracy Arm for Glacier viewing .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I completely agree. I have been on cruises that did not substitute Endicott Arm. Tracy Arm is frequently missed in Alaska. Glacier Bay is amazing and pretty much a sure thing. If you only go once, go with Glacier Bay.

I have not been to Glacier Bay. I went to Tracy Arm last July. It was spectacular; however, we were the first cruise ship that actually went into Tracy Arm and we went around July 12. The icebergs in Tracy Arm prevented ships from entering the fijord. I don't believe you have that issue with Glacier Bay.

bald eagle sitting on iceberg in Tracy Arm

enhance

Edited by AF-1
added picture

I have not been to Glacier Bay. I went to Tracy Arm last July. It was spectacular; however, we were the first cruise ship that actually went into Tracy Arm and we went around July 12. The icebergs in Tracy Arm prevented ships from entering the fijord. I don't believe you have that issue with Glacier Bay.

bald eagle sitting on iceberg in Tracy Arm

enhance

It is beautiful but icebergs are everywhere

enhance

I would always choose a cruise with Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm. We've been to Tracy Arm three times total. First trip was wonderful; the other two were duds where we didn't get anywhere near the glacier. Glacier Bay, on the other hand, has been wonderful every time we've been there.

I don't know, 40% is a huge difference. I think you have to do what's right for your family and your budget. If it 's a once in a lifetime trip and you have the money, then go for Glacier Bay. If budget is a big concern, then maybe you opt for Tracy Arm. You do take a chance of not being able to enter Tracy Arm Fjord, or you could see this:

403882865_SouthSawyerGlacier2.jpg.38e2bc2c4c47f22cc1ac0ec4664b759b.jpg

Can you play with dates to see if another week is cheaper? Or work with a TA who may have group space (which maybe cheaper) and who also may discount the cruise 10%.

With GB, you will get closer than what CentralCaliCruiser posted of her pic to Tracy Arm.

I don't know, 40% is a huge difference. I think you have to do what's right for your family and your budget. If it 's a once in a lifetime trip and you have the money, then go for Glacier Bay. If budget is a big concern, then maybe you opt for Tracy Arm. You do take a chance of not being able to enter Tracy Arm Fjord, or you could see this:

we got pretty close to the glacier in Tracy Arm

enhance