Viking Star- How is she holding up?

TruJeffie

Hi,

Has anyone been on the Viking Star lately? I know she was the first ship built back in 2014. Showing any wear and tear? Did they ever upgrade the Wi-Fi? Probably going to be on this ship next year with the Mediterranean & Italian Sojourn.

Jeffrey

We were on the Viking Star January 2018, Barcelona to Civitivecchia. The ship was lovely. Everything looked clean and new to me. The Wifi was pretty good, there were some times that it didn't work, but most of the time it was good.

We were just on the Star for two weeks, and the ship seemed to be in great condition to me. It was our first VO cruise, so can't compare to how it may have been a couple of years ago. Everything seemed practically new and spotlessly clean to me. The Wifi was generally good, though very slow just a few times.

Our only disappointment with the ship itself was how easily you could hear the television from the adjoining cabin.

I wonder if it was your neighbor playing it loud. We didn't hear a peep on either side of us.

I think they had the volume at a reasonable level. We were onboard for two segments (14 days) and had different neighbors on each segment, and heard their TV on both segments. I guess we lucked out. ;)

Perhaps if VO mounted these TV's on an arm (rather than directly on the wall) it might not be so noticeable. This would make it easier to view the TV from sofa as well! FWIW, we were in a PV on Deck 4.

I wonder if it was your neighbor playing it loud. We didn't hear a peep on either side of us.

JiminyC_fan, do you remember I said exactly the same about TV in the next cabin during my live from Star? ;) I was the only one...lol We thought they had hearing problem.

Going back to Star this June :)

Perhaps if VO mounted these TV's on an arm (rather than directly on the wall) it might not be so noticeable. This would make it easier to view the TV from sofa as well! FWIW, we were in a PV on Deck 4.

Uh-oh. That’s where we’ll be. (On Viking Sky.)

If the soundproofing is that bad, I really hope we get neighbors who keep their TV watching down to a minimum.

I remember a thread somewhere in which the poster said they reported a loud TV to Viking, and Viking gave headsets to their neighbors (who did indeed have the TV cranked up due to hearing issues).

No problem on Ocean. We did have a big problem on river where someone below us had their TV cranked up max volume 24/7. It took several visits over several days from the ship crew to get it cranked down. NOT typical.

JiminyC_fan, do you remember I said exactly the same about TV in the next cabin during my live from Star? ;) I was the only one...lol We thought they had hearing problem.

Going back to Star this June :)

I forgot about your experience! I really need to book again.

are there any minor design detail changes between sky and her sister ships?

We are on the Sun now and previously on the Sea and Star . I can not see any real changes that the normal person can pickup . Maybe a few shelves have been added but nothing big. I kind of wish that they would do a menu change in Manfredi’s but nothing that would make me change lines .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the dv and v cabins there is a set of 4 drawers in the closet that are new to the sun. You can now adjust the heated floor yourself. On the Sky and newer ship’s, the gym is larger.

A Viking employee said that there were about 100 small changes that most passengers would be unaware of the change.