St Martin

For those who have recently visited St Martin, what is the current state of rebuilding? On Allure May 13 with a stop in St Martin. Visited before and always enjoyed the day there. Any info is appreciated. One specific question - did the Belgium chocolate shop survive?;) Thanks

For those who have recently visited St Martin, what is the current state of rebuilding? On Allure May 13 with a stop in St Martin. Visited before and always enjoyed the day there. Any info is appreciated. One specific question - did the Belgium chocolate shop survive?;) Thanks

As of two weeks ago, Phillipsburg is in decent shape. You can see damage, but there's far more open than there is closed. Most of the restaurants & bars along the beach were open.

We talked to a few people, and it sounds like the French side is recovering slower. We go back in May, but since it's a Sunday, won't head over to Marigot since it will be more closed than open on that day.

And it sounds like all of the beaches suffered some sand loss- but it looked really nice in front of Phillipsburg.

As for the chocolate- the shop is only open in the port area, not in town.

One thing for cruiser to note- get off the ship and spend money someplace. Right now, way over 90% of the hotels are closed, so their only major source of income is from cruise ship passengers. And it's not helping that the airport terminal is still very closed (they are using tents for flights).

As of two weeks ago, Phillipsburg is in decent shape. You can see damage, but there's far more open than there is closed. Most of the restaurants & bars along the beach were open.

We talked to a few people, and it sounds like the French side is recovering slower. We go back in May, but since it's a Sunday, won't head over to Marigot since it will be more closed than open on that day.

And it sounds like all of the beaches suffered some sand loss- but it looked really nice in front of Phillipsburg.

As for the chocolate- the shop is only open in the port area, not in town.

One thing for cruiser to note- get off the ship and spend money someplace. Right now, way over 90% of the hotels are closed, so their only major source of income is from cruise ship passengers. And it's not helping that the airport terminal is still very closed (they are using tents for flights).

Chocolate???? Is there a well known chocolate shop in St. Maarten that we have never heard of and haven't discovered previously???? :D

We were there in early February and we're advised not to go to the French side. From what we heard the French insurers have been slow in getting help to people. We did the Eldorado sailing ship trip thru RCI and it was excellent. Went from the port area so didn't see anything else on land.

Chocolate???? Is there a well known chocolate shop in St. Maarten that we have never heard of and haven't discovered previously???? :D

Well known yes. Good? I guess that’s up to interpretation. I bought the hype and got a bunch of chocolate pieces when I was there, and 100% of them were disgusting. I don’t know if they gave me the wrong order, or if I’m just not a connoisseur of good chocolate, but I thought it was gross and a waste of my money. People seem to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked a boat tour with Capt. Bob in January. The island has a lot of rebuilding to do and as we went all around the island we could see that they're working hard. It's still a beautiful place and I recommend that you go and spend money on the island. They need us there to get more things up and running.

I highly recommend that tour - lots of snorkeling, sightseeing, and a plane landing all in one day. But the restaurant they used to stop at for lunch is still rebuilding, so lunch is sandwiches on board right now. There are places the tour used to go that were simply wiped out.

St. Maarten is still beautiful. It's just different now.

We were there in early on February 1st. The Dutch side is slowly coming along. A real shame. Many hotels & buildings are not open. I did not realize how extensive the damage was. Roofs & windows own off. At least the entire Island has electricity.

We initially had a beach tour with lunch to Orient Beach. This was cancelled as the damage was more extensive on the French side and repairs are even slower than the Dutch side. We instead went to Simpson Bay. Did not see any erosion and had a wonderful day there. There's a large resort there and could not tell if it was open or closed. Workmen were there and at the far end of the resort there was tarpaulin covering part of the roof.

The damage has affected tourism. From Simpson Bay we could see the airport on the Dutch side an hardly any planes were seen landing or departing.

The tour operator, mentioned that the primary problem, besides the financial resources, is the lack of available building supplies. Most of everything is imported, and as soon as a load comes in it goes quickly. Unemployment is around 80%. She estimated the entire rebuilding process at 3-4 years. She was optimistic.

We'll be there in early April on Allure and hoping to see further improvements.

Well known yes. Good? I guess that’s up to interpretation. I bought the hype and got a bunch of chocolate pieces when I was there, and 100% of them were disgusting. I don’t know if they gave me the wrong order, or if I’m just not a connoisseur of good chocolate, but I thought it was gross and a waste of my money. People seem to like it.

We buy our specific brand of chocolates at "Admiral" general store by the cruise dock. It's probably the only place in the Caribbean that sells Lindt chocolate with whole almonds. A single bar sells for $11 per. Cannot get them in the U.S. When we are there we load up and give them our kids as gifts rather the usual magnets.

We buy our specific brand of chocolates at "Admiral" general store by the cruise dock. It's probably the only place in the Caribbean that sells Lindt chocolate with whole almonds. A single bar sells for $11 per. Cannot get them in the U.S. When we are there we load up and give them our kids as gifts rather the usual magnets.

I’ll try that one next time I’m there.

We love st maarten and have spent many weeks there on vacation. There is a great Facebook page "sxm or bust" that updates the recovery and what is open. A great place to spend the day would be either Karakter's beach bar on simpson bay or Mullet Bay. I also love stopping at the yacht club in simpson bay for a drink or lunch and to watch the yachts come thru the drawbridge. Poor orient beach lost almost every structure. There maybe a couple businesses that have opened in makeshift structures. It's so sad. From what I hear on various pages the people so appreciate visitors coming to support them.

Its in an alley (pedestrians only) just north of the main street. Seem to remember an old car or sculpture out front. Usually the line is out the door.

http://www.thebelgianchocolatebox.com/

Thank you. I read that they will deliver to the ship....very nice. We'll visit the store then head over to the beach. Nice gift to take home to friends and family.