Please explain the difference.. Unlimited social media wifi or unlimted wifi ?

missemo12345

I wish NCL would just 100% get rid of the internet on the ships and invest that money elsewhere. Please spare me the "but I HAVE TO be online while I cruise BS", no you don't.

How do you know? I work in an elected position for my (small) local government. I am an office of one and must be reachable to respond to FOI requests and to sign off on death certificates so a family can bury/cremate their loved one, among many other things. Most tasks can be held until I am back home from vacation, but a select few cannot.

• Like 3

I read this and now I am truly confused. So, the SM web package is $15 per day.....but through AT&T I can get an international cruise package for $50 for a month. Why wouldn't I just get the AT&T package? NCL seems silly to charge so much.

Per the AT&T site that cruise package works "on land in Mexico, Canada, and on these select Caribbean islands at no additional charge". That won't get you any service while the ship is at sea where the NCL internet packages work at sea.

Respectfully, yes I do. Maybe you have the luxury of a business/career where you can completely disconnect for a period of time. Not all of us do.

Besides, if I like to spend some time relaxing on deck with my headphones on, drink in my hand, whilst enjoying whatever I'm currently watching on Netflix, I'll do so. It's my coin, and my vacation.

I wish NCL would just 100% get rid of the internet on the ships and invest that money elsewhere. Please spare me the "but I HAVE TO be online while I cruise BS", no you don't.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Re: the SM package. If my so and I use 2 different devices and have the one package......if I'm logged in on my phone and then he tries to login to his....will he be denied or will I be logged out so he can get on?

46 minutes ago, taram said:

... If my so and I use 2 different devices and have the one package......if I'm logged in on my phone and then he tries to login to his....will he be denied or will I be logged out so he can get on?

This is true whether you are on the social media, timed/MB data plan or unlimited plan, only one registered/activated device can be online at any given time - you can have multiple devices sharing the same billed account with the UID & log-in password that you create yourself.  

Each new device/user signing in will see a prompt/pop-up that another device is active/online, and give you the option to "boot" that offline so that yours will be "connected" instead.   So far so good, now the other person wanted to get back on -s/he can do the same - see the prompt/pop-up, and, then proceed to "boot" the active user/device online OFF.  Simple, sounds fun & easy.   

Edited by mking8288

51 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

If someone has a laptop with two wifi adaptors, can they use the second wifi adaptor to create a hotspot?

Can you do it at home?  Then yes. 

But,,,, sharing a slow, satellite connection will just make it double slow for the two devices connected. Like,,,,,, reeeeeaaaalllly slow. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, Hev1128 said:

I read this and now I am truly confused. So, the SM web package is $15 per day.....but through AT&T I can get an international cruise package for $50 for a month. Why wouldn't I just get the AT&T package? NCL seems silly to charge so much.

The AT&T package is for talk and text on your phone. Not for FB, IG, etc. From and to your phone only.

4 hours ago, outbackpaul said:

Can you just buy unlimited social daily or do you have to buy the package for the entire cruise?

You buy for the duration of the whole cruise, not for a specific day. But, you can start on day 2 on a 7 day or as late as day 4 on a 15 days cruise, if done onboard with a minor savings.

Here are some of the tip sheets/mini-guides available at the ship's iCafe, pick these up on embarkation day for the latest info and changes, if any, etc. 1961772442_Collage2018-11-0214_25_28.thumb.jpg.2ac48951a7c98007c714d550d329f59e.jpg

Collage 2018-11-02 14_29_06.jpg

Collage 2018-11-02 14_25_28.jpg

NCL BA-29 Oct 17 - WiFi_1.jpg

Collage 2018-11-02 14_27_25.jpg

Edited by mking8288

3 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

You buy for the duration of the whole cruise, not for a specific day. But, you can start on day 2 on a 7 day or as late as day 4 on a 15 days cruise, if done onboard with a minor savings.

Ok, yeah, I saw the pricing but was confused when it said "per day".  With 3 days in Bermuda... I really didn't need to pay for those 3 days.

Thanks

Question:  I want to get the social media package as this is more that sufficient for me.  I also want to check into my flight and upload my boarding passes to my phone on day 6 of a 7 day cruise.  Are there computers on board the breakaway that allows you to connect to an airline site to check in?  If not, could I upgrade my wifi package on day six for one day?

@AGard - yes, there are terminals for public use, free - you only "pay" for live "air time" when connected to satellites WiFi @ the iCafe Center, located off the starboard side of the ship in the atrium lobby.  

For the last sea day (maybe last 2 days before disembarkation) - a "special" is offered, both as a 15 minutes or 30 minutes plan, for those wishing to reconfirm & booking their return flights and onward travel/hotel arrangements.   The 30 minutes plan was, trying to recall the specific price, $30 (use those non-refundable OBC, if available ...) - but, caution advised - as WiFi would be sluggish & slowest on those final days when folks tried to log into their travel sites online to select seats & reconfirm flight details, etc.  

Option - have a trust-worthy family member or friend do this on your behalf and/or have one's own T/A do it.  For each PNR booked, had spend as much as 5 minutes just trying to log into the secured sites and wait, especialy if paper BP has to be printed -  rather frustrating.  It's better with a digital check-in can be done, faster & easier or wait until the ship is within range of cellular signals from land towers to retrieve the passes, as it's usually another 1 to 2 hours before one can actually early disembark.  

Thank you.  That is exactly what I’m going to do.  Get someone to check in and send me my boarding pass via email.  When we get to port, I’ll download the boarding pass from my email.  

6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

For the last sea day (maybe last 2 days before disembarkation) - a "special" is offered, both as a 15 minutes or 30 minutes plan, for those wishing to reconfirm & booking their return flights and onward travel/hotel arrangements.   The 30 minutes plan was, trying to recall the specific price, $30 (use those non-refundable OBC, if available ...)

Hmmm,,,, The pay-as-you-go by-the-minute costs $0.99 per minute. $30 for 30 minutes > $0.99/minute. No "special" there. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2018 at 6:23 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Family doesn’t care how much fun you are having... let them be. 🙂

Lol. You mean THAT’S why my family never had much to say when I texted them during my 2 weeks in Greece? 

• 1 month later...