An insanely detailed Seaside Yacht Club Review!

Dr. Cocktail

FABULOUS review (both of you). These are the types of reviews that I find valuable. All the glory “sunshine” type reviews are nice to read and all, but often they sound like MSc marketing. There have actually been a few recent reviews that sound like MSc employees. It’s the reviews which focus on both sides of the experience are what I appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We believe with high certainty that the smell at the pool in YC was because of where we were lounging; right in front (glassed off but open on top) from the heavy wood doors that lead to the inside YC stairway 'where the issue really was. IMO, in addition to people coming and going, they (MSC) opened all of the doors to 'vent the stairway and we happened to be lounging the closest to the door. How it got in the stairway inside the YC in the first place, we have no idea (but also, nothing compared to the boarding Atrium walk by experience; that really was very bad).

As a side note, the grill at the YC pool has been putting such great product that the YC restaurant for lunch is noticeably less attended than what we experienced on Divina.

Oddly, after having enough sun for first day at sea, and in the YC lounge near the port side on widow couch and table having a coffee, a touch of the smell. We moved to Starboard. ;)

Your comments on my comments actually made me laugh out loud!

Very jealous of your back-to-back but I hope that you continue to have a great time.

The "smell" wasn't a deal-breaker for us as there was so many other positives. But .... if you're not in the Yacht Club with all of the perqs ........

FABULOUS review (both of you). These are the types of reviews that I find valuable. All the glory “sunshine” type reviews are nice to read and all, but often they sound like MSc marketing. There have actually been a few recent reviews that sound like MSc employees. It’s the reviews which focus on both sides of the experience are what I appreciate.

Thanks!

Thanks also for understanding where I'm coming from ... I had a great time on Seaside but there are definitely some (sometimes potentially severe) problems.

I think that people have to realize that being "critical" doesn't mean being negative ... to quote Webster, being critical means: "consisting of or involving criticism".

Concerning Seaside...I'm a bit of a freak about planning...can anyone offer suggestions on which deck is better for YC? Currently booked on 16, starboard. There's a cabin left on 18, port.

16 starboard is close to Top Sail. We are booked in 16012.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks!

Thanks also for understanding where I'm coming from ... I had a great time on Seaside but there are definitely some (sometimes potentially severe) problems.

I think that people have to realize that being "critical" doesn't mean being negative ... to quote Webster, being critical means: "consisting of or involving criticism".

Absolutely!! The way some reviewers have been treated in this forum is appalling (Jimzim for one). I write critical reviews also, but have never had a negative cruise. Welcome back to reality, I hope you settle in nicely without too much shock :).

Whats wrong with a positive review??? Why would a cruiser lie about their experience?? Everyone views a cruise differently and has different experiences.... Some people are not overly picky or critical and go with the flow. Some cruises can vary week to week. I have no problem with critical or positive comments....what I do have problem with is someone making a underhanded comment (notice I did not say accusation) that some of the positive reviews sound like MSC Marketing and/or employees. I have yet to read one positive review which did not include several areas which could use improvement based on the feedback.

PS- about the smell - it’s now March and it doesn’t appear that the “smells” are any better than the first few voyages. I’m saddened to read that MSC has been unable to get this under control, especially since the letter to travel agents assuring a fix went out over a month ago.

I hope everyone can at least now agree that this isn’t the normal smells one encounters on a ship. Time to stop making excuses for MSC. What has been described in this thread is unacceptable. I can overlook a lot given MSc is a value based cruiseline, but I will not book seaside until I have reasonable assurance the septic/fecal/garbage (or whatever you want to call it) has been competently eliminated.

Whats wrong with a positive review??? Why would a cruiser lie about their experience?? Everyone views a cruise differently and has different experiences.... Some people are not overly picky or critical and go with the flow. Some cruises can vary week to week. I have no problem with critical or positive comments....what I do have problem with is someone making a underhanded comment (notice I did not say accusation) that some of the positive reviews sound like MSC Marketing and/or employees. I have yet to read one positive review which did not include several areas which could use improvement based on the feedback.

We clearly aren’t reading the same reviews. On this subject I hope we can simply agree to disagree :).

So nice to hear from you!!!!

Actually, I have two booked... the first was one of three! Sorry ... not on board in November.....

I read some of Mark's comments on other threads ... it's interesting that you didn't encounter any smell issues. In the foreseeable future, each sailing will have its own surprises!

That's a shame that you won't be there in November; we would have liked to catch up with you guys again. We haven't been on the Seaside yet - maybe a different Mark or maybe he was talking about the Panama Canal Cruise we did on the Island Princess.

We have the Meraviglia booked for a Baltic and then the TA from Copenhagen to NYC in Sept 2019. We are definitely taking advantage of our discounts from the Hurricane Irma cruise. (y)

Lori

Thanks for the reviews. We are in the YC next December. Maybe they'll have the smells gone by then, but still looking forward to it. Was in the YC on the Divina a couple of years ago, and loved it, and the whole cruise. In fact, I've been playing with switching from the Seaside back to the Divina for an 11 day, but no YC, just a Fantastica balcony. The Divina shows were fantastic, and they had bands everywhere.

PS- about the smell - it’s now March and it doesn’t appear that the “smells” are any better than the first few voyages. I’m saddened to read that MSC has been unable to get this under control, especially since the letter to travel agents assuring a fix went out over a month ago.

I hope everyone can at least now agree that this isn’t the normal smells one encounters on a ship. Time to stop making excuses for MSC. What has been described in this thread is unacceptable. I can overlook a lot given MSc is a value based cruiseline, but I will not book seaside until I have reasonable assurance the septic/fecal/garbage (or whatever you want to call it) has been competently eliminated.

We were on the same cruise and yes the worst smell is by the jungle pool and on the last day we could smell it a little in the YC pool.

That's a shame that you won't be there in November; we would have liked to catch up with you guys again. We haven't been on the Seaside yet - maybe a different Mark or maybe he was talking about the Panama Canal Cruise we did on the Island Princess.

We have the Meraviglia booked for a Baltic and then the TA from Copenhagen to NYC in Sept 2019. We are definitely taking advantage of our discounts from the Hurricane Irma cruise. (y)

Lori

OMG ... I had you confused with the other nice couple that we met from Minneapolis ... another Mark!

I have now reset .....you will enjoy your cruise, poo-poo smells notwithstanding!

Dr cocktail and formula- i hope you don’t mind but I quoted you in a thread about the sewage smell. Im always shocked when i read people quoting me without my knowledge. No disrespect intended- I was just trying to make a point.

Ps- Thanks again to both of you for sharing your experiences!!

While we never watch TV, for those who do it is mounted in an awkward position for either the sitting area or the bed. It would be better to have it on a moveable mount. As it is now, the mounting apparatus made a lot of noise during the night with the ship moving as much as it did.

Thank you so much for the great review!

My husband will hate this if he can not watch TV from the bed. Is it possible??

Dr cocktail and formula- i hope you don’t mind but I quoted you in a thread about the sewage smell. Im always shocked when i read people quoting me without my knowledge. No disrespect intended- I was just trying to make a point.

Ps- Thanks again to both of you for sharing your experiences!!

Thanks for asking ... as long as my meaning is not twisted, I stand by my opinions!

"Over the course of the week, the odour would ebb and flow there and in the atrium, our friend’s inside Yacht Club Suite and most glaringly, at Roy’s."

Dr. Cocktail... Were your friends able to enjoy their cabin? We are staying in an inside YC cabin in April and it will be awful to sleep in a smelly cabin. I really appreciate your thorough review, thank you for taking the time to write it.

Thank you so much for the great review!

My husband will hate this if he can not watch TV from the bed. Is it possible??

My husband and myself also wonder... can one watch TV from the bed?

"Over the course of the week, the odour would ebb and flow there and in the atrium, our friend’s inside Yacht Club Suite and most glaringly, at Roy’s."

Dr. Cocktail... Were your friends able to enjoy their cabin? We are staying in an inside YC cabin in April and it will be awful to sleep in a smelly cabin. I really appreciate your thorough review, thank you for taking the time to write it.

If I remember correctly, they only smelled it one day in the morning. By the afternoon or late evening, the smell was gone.

Again, sorry - I just don't watch TV in a room.