Shopping in Barcelona

Will be in Barcelona in September, suggestions on where you can find quality products like ladies shoes and handbags at a reasonable price would be appreciated. I'm sure there are stores out there that only locals/insiders know about with items that are of great value for the money. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

If you want more or less guaranteed quality, then I recommend El Corte Ingles as already mentioned. They tend to have known brands and sometimes have sales but otherwise the prices aren't lower than anywhere else in Europe.

There are lots of small shops in the Gothic quarter but I find the quality is hit or miss. Some are quite good -- real artisans. Others are very cheaply made (and sometimes not made by the owner or even in Spain....)

Ahhh, you're looking in the wrong destination... not many "only local/insiders know" stores I am afraid. This is a densely populated city, lots of citizens -as many as 4.6 million in the whole metro area-, also a top destination for business and for pleasure... there's nothing that keeps under the radar for too long if it's really good value for money.

If anything, ABSOLUTELY stay away from the street sellers... all of their product are cheap knock-offs from China. Note that not only you're going to be taken for a ride but you're also contributing to an illegal activity... which is persecuted and both, seller and buyer, can be fined.

As per Corte Ingles, while I am sure the advice is well-intended, I don't think you'll find there what you're looking for... El Corte Ingles is a mere traditional department store -and a bit outmoded these days I must say.

Since I don't know what do you mean by "value for money", I can't help you out suggesting this or that shop. In this city you can find leather shoes and handbags from 20-30€ to several thousand, depending on your preferences and "requirements". Yet, stores like Mari Paz, Bosanova, Tascón, Casas... (many of these are chains) are very popular. For more "demanding" shoppers, https://www.dolcecity.com/barcelona/2013/10/las-5-mejores-zapaterias-de-mujer-de-barcelona.asp and for more independent stores, check out: https://www.shopikon.com/barcelona/shopping-guide

I can't speak to the "value", but El Corte Ingles is a department store with a huge selection of items. Playa Catalunya.

I second this advice. Bought things there in 1991 and still have them. Great quality.

For hand made espadrilles, try La Manual Alpargatera. Go before 1:30pm or after 4:30pm. They are open until 8:00pm every night. I have not yet been there but have heard about them from other people and they are mentioned in Rick Steves Barcelona book. I'll be going there this fall. Check out their website. I believe they're in/near Barrio Gotic.

I can't speak to the "value", but El Corte Ingles is a department store with a huge selection of items. Playa Catalunya.

The El Corte Ingles on the top of Las Ramblas was permanently closed when we were there on Monday. Windows were all papered up.

The El Corte Ingles on the top of Las Ramblas was permanently closed when we were there on Monday. Windows were all papered up.

No!!!!

Say it isn’t so. Was looking forward to shopping there in October.

Will be in Barcelona in September, suggestions on where you can find quality products like ladies shoes and handbags at a reasonable price would be appreciated. I'm sure there are stores out there that only locals/insiders know about with items that are of great value for the money. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

I agree with shops and stores near Gothic Quarter and Las Ramblas. Very important to remember since we do not live in the EU we are Duty Free so make sure you take you passport with you and ask for you duty free form. On the form it should say what company is processing it’s usually Global Blue and they have a few offices and even if you pay with your CC they will give you back cash. NOTE: you are only allowed $500 cash back per day per person so keep track of you tax return. You will have to get the duty free form stamped at you last place of departure once you leave the EU even if its another country. Then once stamped there are mail slots where you deposit them. Sounds more complicated than it really is.

I took advantage and purchased my LV bag and was $1000 cheaper than here in US. I also purchased shoes and more shoes all were really nice soft leather and love them all, plus they were all duty free. Hope this helps send me email if anyone needs more info: titicaa8396@yahoo.com

Liz

Sent from my iPad using Forums

El Corte Inglés is NOT closed. Their flagship in Barcelona continues to be where it has always been, an ugly bunker-like grey building in Plaça Catalunya: http://cdn-image.travelandleisure.com/sites/default/files/styles/1600x1000/public/1446824636/el-corte-ingles-placa-catalunya-bc1115.jpg?itok=61w5t2UM Furthermore, they have 10 other shops in the city: https://www.google.com/search?q=el+corte+ingles+barcelona&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=41390101,2149522,1813&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwiVnavm8d7ZAhUHORQKHaXbC9cQjGoIVQ&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d44645.75598024414!2d2.14520335!3d41.3955531!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i367!2i358!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4

It might happen that they "move" one of the smaller stores from time to time, but the company is up an running, as it has been for the past 80 years.

Oh great to hear it hasn't closed, was so disappointed when I read it had closed thinking it had gone the way of a lot of department stores in Canada. In goggling the store I've come across some brands that I want to go and take a look at.

Thanks for all of your shopping suggestions and keep them coming, we are allocation half a day for shopping so need to come up with an optimal plan.

For hand made espadrilles, try La Manual Alpargatera. Go before 1:30pm or after 4:30pm. They are open until 8:00pm every night. I have not yet been there but have heard about them from other people and they are mentioned in Rick Steves Barcelona book. I'll be going there this fall. Check out their website. I believe they're in/near Barrio Gotic.

Awesome place......very busy. Got all the gals in my family espadrilles. Even my baby nieces. Darling children’s shoes. Was there May 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

... actually, espadrilles were the common footwear for centuries for people living in the Mediterranean regions (Catalonia, France, Spain, Italy, Greece...) so it's not "a thing", it's merely revamping the roots, LOL!