carnival - Alaska

casperbks

Whenever you can go is the best time! LOL! There are drawbacks to each month, some have more rain, some are more cold, etc... And Alaska weather is every changing. My parents went in May and were sitting in their bathing suits on the top deck while cruising. We went in July and only had 1 day, while in port in Skagway, in the afternoon, where it was warm enough for me to put on capri pants. It's going to be much busier in the June-August months as well.

It varies year to year. We did Alaska in 2007 & 2008. Both end of June. First year it was T-shirt and short weather. The second was 40F and wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The weather in Alaska is unpredictable but anytime is a great time for a cruise if you are prepared. We enjoyed the first week of June. It was mostly cool and rainy but we saw dozens of whales. On the last full I got a little sunburn while spending the day at the pool.

There is no "best". :) Instead I suggest, you figure out what YOU want out of your trip, touring you want to include. That could dictate your timing. Every cruise will offer you something great, so don't get caught up with the claims of best. I have traveled in every time frame and every month. I absolutely has wonderful trips on all of them.

Weather as mentioned is unpredictable- you really need to pack for a wide range. Layers and mix and match work well, don't bother over packing, but don't underestimate it either- never fails, people, as the cruise goes on, you'll notice with "Alaska" hats, jackets etc. :) purchased in the ports.

The weather potential does fall off in Sept with more chance of cold and rain. Other negative in my opinion is the lack of daylight. Overall- with my preferences, I spend a lot of time out on open decks, wildlife and scenery searching.