Europe vs US

One thing I forgot to mention and don't think anyone else has.... in some European countries it is considered rude for the waiter to bring your bill before you ask for it, whereas here in the states it's common for the waiter (or waitress) to either ask if you're ready for it, or to just leave it on the table when it appears that you are finished. If you wait for either in Europe, you may find yourself waiting a long time, all while silently seething about the "horrible service" because "no one will bring the bill." Just remember that if that happens they are actually being the opposite of rude, and waiting for YOU to specfically ask for the bill. So, when you're ready, ask for it and save yourself the aggravation of assuming the waiter is ignoring you. ;)

One thing I forgot to mention and don't think anyone else has.... in some European countries it is considered rude for the waiter to bring your bill before you ask for it, whereas here in the states it's common for the waiter (or waitress) to either ask if you're ready for it, or to just leave it on the table when it appears that you are finished. If you wait for either in Europe, you may find yourself waiting a long time, all while silently seething about the "horrible service" because "no one will bring the bill." Just remember that if that happens they are actually being the opposite of rude, and waiting for YOU to specfically ask for the bill. So, when you're ready, ask for it and save yourself the aggravation of assuming the waiter is ignoring you. ;)

The comment about the bill being presented is so true! I find this very uncomfortable when we're travelling in the US - it's as if they are telling you it's time to go rather than you as the paying customer telling that staff that you're ready to leave!

And yes, Amex is not readily accepted in Europe but MasterCard and Visa are.

And as for Neopolitan pizza??? There is nothing on earth tastes like this!!!

The comment about the bill being presented is so true! I find this very uncomfortable when we're travelling in the US - it's as if they are telling you it's time to go rather than you as the paying customer telling that staff that you're ready to leave!

And yes, Amex is not readily accepted in Europe but MasterCard and Visa are.

And as for Neopolitan pizza??? There is nothing on earth tastes like this!!!

Yes this is true. But one has to adapt to the local culture.

As an American I find it funny that we are criticized for being ethnocentric but so many visitors to America often take no steps to learn our culture or they just refuse to adapt to it. Specifically as a Floridian I see it constantly. South Americans, Europeans, Asians. Very few as a percentage adapt to our way when visiting. Perhaps they just don’t care. Hard to say.

As an American I find it funny that we are criticized for being ethnocentric but so many visitors to America often take no steps to learn our culture or they just refuse to adapt to it. Specifically as a Floridian I see it constantly. South Americans, Europeans, Asians. Very few as a percentage adapt to our way when visiting. Perhaps they just don’t care. Hard to say.

Do you have an example for this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been to Orlando 30 times since 1992 and love the US and totally adopt the culture.

There's tons about the US service culture which I love - the friendliness, the helpfulness, the willingness to adapt. The bill issue is the only one I have. And I even don't wince at the service charge! ;-)

Please don't take this as a criticism of a nation, it's just me as a European agreeing with a previous comment.

I'm sure that our "no re-fills" policy is just as annoying to you :-)

Not tipping, cutting in line, not treating woman with respect, not respecting personal bubble space. You see this all the time in tourist areas like Florida.

Hmm agree and disagree. As a Brit this is my take

No Tipping - yup I’m a terrible tipper. It’s the one and only bit of American culture I despise.. and sadly it’s heavy in the cruise industry.

Cutting the line - Us Brits hate this too

Not treating woman with respect - ok you have me on this one.. explain this one please.

Hmm agree and disagree. As a Brit this is my take

No Tipping - yup I’m a terrible tipper. It’s the one and only bit of American culture I despise.. and sadly it’s heavy in the cruise industry.

Cutting the line - Us Brits hate this too

Not treating woman with respect - ok you have me on this one.. explain this one please.

I’m not saying brits do all of these things. Just various cultures don’t adapt to ours and these were examples per your request.

I’m not gonna pick on any particular country but we all know several that cut lines, don’t tip, and treat women as third class citizens.

Since you mentioned it I’ll just say that tipping is the culture and system here and you just said you hate it so you don't follow our norm. Well that is you knowing and basically saying our way is better so I’m not doing it. So not only are you not tipping hard working people who rely on tips you are being ethnocentric in your view. That is fine. Many people are ethnocentric. I’m just pointing out Americans get an undeserved bad reputation for this when other countries do it constantly too.

Cheers.

Not tipping, cutting in line, not treating woman with respect, not respecting personal bubble space. You see this all the time in tourist areas like Florida.

Sounds like a normal day around here and there’s no tourists within 100 miles.