Europe vs US

Yes that would be a great way to do it if cruising in Europe. But as Americans our vacation time is typically significantly less than those from Europe. So with limited time (say two weeks) I’d rather be on ground in Europe and see much more and then just cruise the Caribbean if I wanted a cruise type vacation.

Now if time was no issue I’d certainly cruise in Europe mixed with some land based travel.

Just my preference and I understand there are many ways to do it and many different opinions.

I'm from the US as well and find combining a 9-14 night cruise along with a few days before or after (or both) a great way to see Europe. I'm not the type of person who has to see "everything" when visiting a foreign land or city. Being able to visit multiple countries over the span of a couple weeks is great. Totally different from a Caribbean cruise (which I love as well) as you tend to spend much less time on the ship and go to bed earlier.

I am at the very early stages of planning a trip to europe. It will probably be in 2-3 years. I was thinking about possibly doing a cruise while there. I have heard that the food is different. Any orher differences? Tia

Food on the ship will be mostly the same, but on land you'll find differences from country to country, and even within different parts of the same country. Lots of other little differences between the US and Euro countries....

-in some euro countries dinner is traditionally eaten much later than in the US

-credit/debit cards are not used as widely as in the US, particularly for small purchases

-some countries observe an afternoon siesta during which many shops will close, but then stay open later in the evening

-tipping is a whole different ballgame

-trains are very popular for getting around Europe

These are just a few of the little differences, but there are many and they often vary from country to country. Understand that there will be differences and embrace them, After all, this is why you're choosing to travel, right? to experience other places and cultures? My favorite thing to do is book a private tour guide for a half day. Not only do you get to see some highlights, but you get the undivided attention of a local who can explain lots of the little differences, and also give you tips and ideas for exploring on your own later! Private guides are obviously pricier, but well worth it in my opinion for an intro upon arrival.

Our first trip to Europe was a Med cruise. The itinerary included ports in Italy, Spain, Greece and Turkey. We had no desire to visit Turkey but couldn't find a ship and a itinerary that matched with a time we could sail. We didn't know what to expect and so we booked a private guide and driver. I cannot tell you how grateful we are that it included Turkey. I would love to be able to afford another cruise that included Turkey. This wouldn't have happened if we had not been on this cruise. It was amazing. All depends on your expectations and what you want out of the trip. We didn't want to have a land vacation and buy from the markets and cook the foods like the locals. Our guides took us to local markets to shop and buy items to bring home. That's what we were looking for. We didn't want to spend our time on the trains. We knew the places we wanted to visit were popular tourist attractions. Places we had only read about and seen photos of. One of my daughters got to see the David..something on her bucket list. My other daughter got to have lunch on the beach on the Amalfi Coast. My adult Grandson got to visit the historical sites and to see excavations as they were happening. I got to eat pasta in Rome, pizza in Naples, gelato and wine in every city everywhere, mussels by the sea, Sangria and paella in Barcelona, see the Trevi Fountain, Pompeii, the leaning tower of Pisa and so much more. If it's your first chance to see all these places, a cruise is the best choice. For us, we looked at it like a once in a lifetime trip that we might never get to repeat. Turned out, we repeated it with another Med cruise with a bit of a different itinerary that visited some of our favorites for a 2nd once in a lifetime trip. Plan your cruise to the Med. You won't regret it.

Our first trip to Europe was a Med cruise. The itinerary included ports in Italy, Spain, Greece and Turkey. We had no desire to visit Turkey but couldn't find a ship and a itinerary that matched with a time we could sail. We didn't know what to expect and so we booked a private guide and driver. I cannot tell you how grateful we are that it included Turkey. I would love to be able to afford another cruise that included Turkey. This wouldn't have happened if we had not been on this cruise. It was amazing. All depends on your expectations and what you want out of the trip. We didn't want to have a land vacation and buy from the markets and cook the foods like the locals. Our guides took us to local markets to shop and buy items to bring home. That's what we were looking for. We didn't want to spend our time on the trains. We knew the places we wanted to visit were popular tourist attractions. Places we had only read about and seen photos of. One of my daughters got to see the David..something on her bucket list. My other daughter got to have lunch on the beach on the Amalfi Coast. My adult Grandson got to visit the historical sites and to see excavations as they were happening. I got to eat pasta in Rome, pizza in Naples, gelato and wine in every city everywhere, mussels by the sea, Sangria and paella in Barcelona, see the Trevi Fountain, Pompeii, the leaning tower of Pisa and so much more. If it's your first chance to see all these places, a cruise is the best choice. For us, we looked at it like a once in a lifetime trip that we might never get to repeat. Turned out, we repeated it with another Med cruise with a bit of a different itinerary that visited some of our favorites for a 2nd once in a lifetime trip. Plan your cruise to the Med. You won't regret it.

Yes these are certainly great reasons a cruise has some very positive pros vs cons. You might go to places you otherwise wouldn’t go which could end up with an experience like yours.

And there are lots of European cruise ports that you can easily do on your own easily in a day. We are on the Symphony in October and one port is La Spezia, Italy and we plan to bus/ferry to Porto Venere or Cinque Terre. Valencia is another easy DIY port.....lots of options on a European cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would buy the 2000-2016 Rick Steves dvd and watch them.

Then decide on a region like the Mediterranean or Baltic or coastal Portugal and Spain.

I am doing Serenade out of Copenhagen on back to back to see 5 ports in Norway and then go out again towards Sweden and Russia and Tallin.

I also am doung next year a cruise from Barcelona that goes to Monaco, Rome, Florence, and Greek islands and ends up in Venice. That is on NCL Star.

So try to always do minimum of 12 days and can get the most variety of ports. Good luck and again research.

Also go on to YOU TUBE. Many ports and ships videos are posted any very good source.

The only thing European about a RCI cruise are the ports, other than that it’s a little slice of America at sea. Currency on ship in dollars but don’t even try to use these on land. Food is generic although you will find some items that you never see on land in Europe like Grits (whatever they are) and things like A1 steak sauce. Also the beers are very American.

The menu is in US English so some differences to English. The other big difference for us Europeans is the tipping culture. This is very un European and although all cruise companies involve gratuity it’s certainly very different on European lines.

If you want a more European experience then go on MSC, Fred Olsen or P&O.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WOW, did you eat in any local places? Or did you eat in McDonald's and TGI Fridays?

Didn't see any TGI Friday's! But McDonalds everywhere!

Oops, even the menu at McDonald's changes by country.

Yes, you can get similar foods to the US. But the food is NOT the same, unless you try to make it the same.

My next stay in a couple months, I googled restaurants near my hotel. I found a Chinese place, an Irish Pub, Mexican place, a Pasta house, greek place, a breakfast restaurant serving omelet's, a Japanese place, and sushi of course.

But I have yet to see haggis and black pudding on a US breakfast buffet. :D

The art of cooking food will always vary, but at the end of the day, most places have very similar items, cooked differently. I'm looking at a menu now, that has a steak, with an oriental flare, fries and veggies. Wild Boar shank, and cheese fondue. What you can get in most restaurants is very similar to what you can get in the USA.

I am also a fan of combining cruises with a land vacation either before or after the cruise. I think the cruise also simplifies the logistics in terms of covering lots of ground and the ease of seeing things via the ship's tours (at a cost however)

Although our limited experience with two European cruises, I agree it's not a "vacation" but more an adventure. We have done a Med and Baltic. Both times we came back and needed a vacation to rest. If you have never been and don't know when you will go again, then plan to be run ragged. If I was to go again and it was my first time, I would do Med and then a week someplace where I could day trip if I wanted.

Food on the ship will be mostly the same, but on land you'll find differences from country to country, and even within different parts of the same country. Lots of other little differences between the US and Euro countries....

-in some euro countries dinner is traditionally eaten much later than in the US

-credit/debit cards are not used as widely as in the US, particularly for small purchases

-some countries observe an afternoon siesta during which many shops will close, but then stay open later in the evening

-tipping is a whole different ballgame

-trains are very popular for getting around Europe

These are just a few of the little differences, but there are many and they often vary from country to country. Understand that there will be differences and embrace them, After all, this is why you're choosing to travel, right? to experience other places and cultures? My favorite thing to do is book a private tour guide for a half day. Not only do you get to see some highlights, but you get the undivided attention of a local who can explain lots of the little differences, and also give you tips and ideas for exploring on your own later! Private guides are obviously pricier, but well worth it in my opinion for an intro upon arrival.

I would say that what I highlighted in red is no longer the case, in Western Europe, at least.

People use cards for everything.

Now, in Eastern Europe, credit cards are less common. And typically not used for even moderate amounts, such as dinner. No problem using them, but the locals tend to not do so.

The art of cooking food will always vary, but at the end of the day, most places have very similar items, cooked differently. I'm looking at a menu now, that has a steak, with an oriental flare, fries and veggies. Wild Boar shank, and cheese fondue. What you can get in most restaurants is very similar to what you can get in the USA.

You did not look hard enough. There are TGIFridays around Europe. And they seem to be more popular than in the US these days.

As for similar foods, I find that even though the place is X, it is not the same as in the US.

But the 3 foods you can get anywhere are pizza, Chinese, and pub. But even these are different and US. Heck, these are not even the same around the US. Get someone from new York and Chicago together to discuss pizza and stand back. :)

But try pub food in a real UK/Irish pub, and it is not the same as US pub food.

And Mexican food in Europe is a joke. Set your expectations VERY low if you try it.

But, I prefer to eat a good bit of local cuisine. And that is very different from US food.

WOW, did you eat in any local places? Or did you eat in McDonald's and TGI Fridays?

Oops, even the menu at McDonald's changes by country.

Yes, you can get similar foods to the US. But the food is NOT the same, unless you try to make it the same.

But I have yet to see haggis and black pudding on a US breakfast buffet. :D

Had black pudding in Windjammer on Radiance last

Sept going to Hawaii!

Our first cruise in Europe, many years ago, was called European Capitals. It was on Holland America, the theme and food were based on the country you were traveling in. I don't know if they still do that or not, since we travel mostly on Royal now. A lot of things have changed and now Cruiselines are more alike than different. I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience the "old days".

The food IN Europe is different. I found the food to be so much more pure than here. I’ve enjoyed the food everywhere we’ve been in Europe except for Paris; the dairy was just too rich for me there. On the ship, the food is mainly what you would have here with the occasional themed item from the region you’re visiting. Some cruise lines source from the US only, while others will source some items locally when in Europe. We had the best grapes ever on Princess in the Med; they were straight from Italy. The executive chef was on that sailing, and he announced he’d be picking up tomatoes in Naples. Sure enough, we had amazing tomatoes the rest of the cruise. Even the fries were true pomme frites (I saw the bag at the grill); I had wondered why even they tasted better than the norm. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would say that what I highlighted in red is no longer the case, in Western Europe, at least.

People use cards for everything.

Now, in Eastern Europe, credit cards are less common. And typically not used for even moderate amounts, such as dinner. No problem using them, but the locals tend to not do so.

Cards are certainly accepted more widely in Europe now. But there are still more limitations than in the US. In Italy just this past October we found plenty of places that did not take Amex, and some that wouldn't take Mastercard, only Visa. And while Europeans themselves use cards plenty these days, in my observation they often still don't use them as much for small purchases as Americans. Stand in line at a Starbucks in the states and most people use a card, even for a small $3-4 coffee. But stand in line in a bar in Italy and watch people buying an espresso...most of the locals use cash.

We did a 12 day cruise out of Barcelona 18 months ago, great cruise on rccl brilliance , we spent a couple of days there before the cruise , great city , was really surprised at the low cost for eating and drinking compared to major cities in USA. Food on ship was nothing special , but really enjoyed food in Europe. Make sure you have a visa master card that does nor have a foreign transaction fee. We had great ports 5 stops in Italy also kotor and Croatia which were both amazing. As soon as you book cruise sign up for roll call on this site, we booked all our shore excursions with fellow passengers which is so much better than ships tours, all our tours were between 6 and 10 people, also much cheaper than ships tours. Also mentioned before is read or watch rick Steve’s shows on ports that you will visit.

I am at the very early stages of planning a trip to europe. It will probably be in 2-3 years. I was thinking about possibly doing a cruise while there. I have heard that the food is different. Any orher differences? Tia

Nah. Not much apart from the culture, the languages, the clothing, the transportation systems, the size of the cars (to the small side), the prices, the administration, the currency, and the age of buildings. Apart from that: Not much I can think of.

Cards are certainly accepted more widely in Europe now. But there are still more limitations than in the US. In Italy just this past October we found plenty of places that did not take Amex, and some that wouldn't take Mastercard, only Visa. And while Europeans themselves use cards plenty these days, in my observation they often still don't use them as much for small purchases as Americans. Stand in line at a Starbucks in the states and most people use a card, even for a small $3-4 coffee. But stand in line in a bar in Italy and watch people buying an espresso...most of the locals use cash.

Many of those are Starbucks are using a Starbucks card, due to the benefits.

I see a lot of people in Europe use cards for small things.

But yes, some cards are not taken in some places. In the Netherlands, most require chip and PIN cards. Chip and sign are not accepted.

Nah. Not much apart from the culture, the languages, the clothing, the transportation systems, the size of the cars (to the small side), the prices, the administration, the currency, and the age of buildings. Apart from that: Not much I can think of.

:'):'):')

Yeah, just a few things.

One time, I was in Budapest at a very nice Hungarian restaurant (guests of some Hungarians), when from across the room, I hear this obvious American lady screech, "But this isn't like they make it at HOME."

I wanted to walk over, slap her silly, and tell her, if you want it made like they do at home, STAY THE F*** HOME. I travel to have it the way they make it THERE.

And yes, as I have said, even the same cuisine or dishes are NOT the same as you get here in the US.

:'):')One time, I was in Budapest at a very nice Hungarian restaurant (guests of some Hungarians), when from across the room, I hear this obvious American lady screech, "But this isn't like they make it at HOME."

And there's something about US voices. I can't figure out what it is, but you can hear them over long distances. Even if they are not speaking loudly. They project very well.

Add to that the fact that a LOT of Europeans speak adequate English - and understand a lot more - it's very hard to hide your honest opinion if you are born and raised in the US.

It really depends on what country you are in but I can say for UK, Ireland and France you can use cards everywhere and usually you pay by contactless, so having a card with the contactless function is very handy. Even on London Underground you can enter by swiping your debit/credit card, so no need to ever buy tickets. I cannot recall the last time I signed for a transaction!

Not sure if contactless is used in N.America?

One thing worth noting is AMEX is not common so few places accept it. As for cash.. US dollars are NOT going to buy you anything in Europe! Make sure you have the correct currency for the country you are visiting. Most use Euros but countries like U.K., Czech Republic, Scandinavian countries (ex Finland), Croatia and a few others do not use Euro. Euro might be accepted but at a bad rate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And there's something about US voices. I can't figure out what it is, but you can hear them over long distances. Even if they are not speaking loudly. They project very well.

Add to that the fact that a LOT of Europeans speak adequate English - and understand a lot more - it's very hard to hide your honest opinion if you are born and raised in the US.

Stereotype much? I'm from the US and have had the pleasure of traveling to five of the seven continents . I find Americans and Europeans much more alike than different. East Asia and the Middle East are quite different. I am of Italian and Lebanese heritage, and I have experienced and love it all.