John Bull-Bob++...etc Info pleasePat.

I have ALOT of questions.

I am in the US. This is my first QM2 TA eb Cruise.

We will be going in June.

I am planning on using National Express coach to get into London. I was going to order my tickets on line.

What time should I order them for?

We aer staying around the V and A museum.

Where do we get off the bus? The Victoria coach station?

With the maps I have been using it could be a few blocks or a few miles.

I can’t type for long because of surgery. So this is

To be continued.

Hi, Salty,

I'm guessing this is arrival sunday 24th June?

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Unusually, QM2 is scheduled to berth at Mayflower Cruise Terminal - a little easier than her usual berth deep in the docks, but with luggage still a short taxi ride to Southampton coach station.

Standard assisted disembarkation is likely to be from about 7.30am., I suggest you book the 9.50am coach (bus) - if you're keen to get away early you could book the 8.50am, but disembarkation is normally staggered & if you're allocated a late slot you'll need to ask for an earlier slot (not usually a problem)

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Book the coach to Victoria coach station, there are no stops en-route in central London.

The V&A is about 1.5 miles from Vic coach station.

(But aren't you going to drop your luggage off first?)

Plenty of taxis in central London, or there's a direct metro/underground (we call it "the tube") line from Victoria rail station to South Kensington tube station - a 5minute walk from the V&A, which is amongst other museums incl Nat History & Science (V&A is the most varied & most interesting)

Tube map at https://tfl.gov.uk/tfl/syndication/widgets/tubemap/default-search.html

It's diagrammatic - great for navigating your way thro the system but not for above-ground because it's not accurate or to scale. Don't bother to print-off, they're widely available free, or on tourist maps, and displayed everywhere in tube stations

Here's a useful website for logistics & such in London

https://www.londontoolkit.com/

Well worth browsing its pages.

JB :)

With the maps I have been using it could be a few blocks or a few miles.

And we are none the wiser. “Around the V&A” could mean all sorts of things, especially if it is hotel marketing [emoji6]

Taking the tube to South Kensington may be the way to get to the museums, but may not be best for your hotel (and you haven’t mentioned mobility and luggage).

Either way, a cab from the coach station will not be too far (but maybe more expensive than you might hope!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oooops, mis-read that. :rolleyes:

Yes, with luggage take a cab from coach station to hotel.

Even if the hotel is right next-door to South Ken tube station.

I'm guessing this is arrival sunday 24th June?

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live...Ship_Schedule/

Unusually, QM2 is scheduled to berth at Mayflower Cruise Terminal - a little easier than her usual berth deep in the docks, but with luggage still a short taxi ride to Southampton coach station.

QM2 is in Ocean Terminal on 24th June and it's the QE in Mayflower. But on looking at the OP's profile, I think she is travelling from the US on 10th June and landing in UK on 17th June. The QM2 is in the QEII terminal on 17th June.

:)

So - to confirm. You will get off the coach at Victoria Coach Station and you are best advised to take a taxi (there are plenty around there) to your hotel which may or may not actually be near the V&A. (My favourite museum also).

QM2 is in Ocean Terminal on 24th June and it's the QE in Mayflower. But on looking at the OP's profile, I think she is travelling from the US on 10th June and landing in UK on 17th June. The QM2 is in the QEII terminal on 17th June.

:)

Ooops again.

One post followed by two apologies - it's just not my day. :o

Yes, whichever date it's her usual 38/39 berth (QE11 Terminal), deep in the docks.

Definitely take a taxi from the terminal - the chances of making it on foot without getting flattened by a truck or a train are quite slim :D

I just looked at the ship schedule and it doesn't show the Azamara Pursuit for 13 Aug, or return on 28 Aug. I assume it's just not up to date.

There's always a few that get added late, & some don't even make it onto the list.

But the Lutine bell hasn't rung for Azamara Pursuit, so I reckon she'll be there ;)

Hello I’m back. Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that I will arrive on the 17th and am staying a half block from the Vand A museum.

I have been to London a few times and always done the same things. Now I feel like venturing out.

We always go to Portabello Rd. and will this time. But I was thinking about St Albans. On a Wednesday. Any thoughts about this? Also a visit to Kew gardens. And I will be going by bus.

I don’t understand the bus system and different zones.

(I have either walk, taken a taxi, or my daughters took care of things.)

Thank-you for the information.

My next post will be asking about horse racing.

Pat.

Kew Gardens is well worth a day if horticulture is your thing. I am not convinced that St Albans is anything special though. London has many markets each with their own ambience. https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/shopping/market/londons-top-markets

How about going down river to Greenwich with Greenwich Market, Greenwich Park and the Royal Observatory, The Cutty Sark and the Old Royal Naval College. http://www.visitgreenwich.org.uk/

Transport For London (TFL) has a website where you can plan bus journeys https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/

I am not convinced that St Albans is anything special though.

A bit harsh. The Cathedral is interesting and the Roman museum pretty good, although I suspect some folk think there are more remains than actually exist (the theatre and the mosaic).

It’s an easy trip out of London, which may be an attraction in itself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last trip, we did Uber to Kew and spent a good part of the day exploring the gardens, treetops, rode the tram, had lunch at the cafe and bought a lot of gift memories. In the afternoon, we walked to the river path and took the Dunkirk [river boat] to Westminster Pier. Great walk from there, stopping a a pub or two.....then Uber back to Paddington area for dinner.

For our upcoming trip, we'll stay near Paddington, overcome jet lag, take in a Museum or two and then do the ultimate tourist thing - Original London bus. The day before our cruise, we'll take coach from Victoria to Southampton where well spend one night before boarding the Royal Princess.

Darcy

• 2 months later...

John Bull, Bob++ and everyone else.

Thank-you for your help. Greenwich it is, and I think we

Will go by river. I have done a lot of reading, and have suggested things to my husband. And it seems that the only thing he wants to see is the changing of the guard.

Which he did about 40 years ago.

But with your suggestions I know that we will have a fantastic time.

Thanks for all the help.

Pat.

In that case, things to do in Greenwich (as I used to live there). The Cutty Sark is a must do. The only surviving tea clipper in the world. Brilliantly restored since she caught fire a few years ago. The National Maritime Museum if you are interested in when Britain ruled the waves (sadly, no longer the case!). Then a good walk up the hill through Greenwich Park to the Royal Observatory where the the Greenwich Meridian was established and you can fight all the Japanese tourists to try and get a picture of yourself with one leg in the East and one in the West. Loads of other info at https://www.rmg.co.uk/plan-your-visit/tickets-prices

Simon

From South Kensington, it's a short direct tube ride to Westminster for The Palace of Westminster (Big Ben still shrouded on scaffolding) and a landing stage for water taxis and tour boats to Greenwich.

In that case, things to do in Greenwich ...
Also, pop into Greenwich market if you want to have a look at arty crafty things and the like. And another curiosity is the Greenwich foot tunnel, by which you can walk across the river - underneath it.

Also, pop into Greenwich market if you want to have a look at arty crafty things and the like. And another curiosity is the Greenwich foot tunnel, by which you can walk across the river - underneath it.

One of our favourites - a lovely market which actually sells decent things.