Brunch in MDR?

dixi_lynn

It's been a few years since I've sailed with Celebrity. One of our favorite events was the elegant brunch served on a sea day in the MDR. Complete with live music and ice sculptures. Do they still do that?

They were great fun but it put a lot of stress on the galley and MDR staff. There were also hygiene issues which I think is the reason that Celebrity gives for dumping them.

Perhaps the real reason they were discontinued is that it was a costly meal (for Celebrity). The brunches offered a huge selection of food, needed most of the dining staff (and galley staff) to make it work, and wasted an awful lot of food. Since the arrival of LLP as the CEO, Celebrity has been all about a "death from a thousand cuts (backs)." And yes, any large buffet does involve some major logistical problems when it comes to maintaining the proper health standards....but it certainly can be done.

Hank

We experienced it before they stopped it. It was Ok. We thought it a strange mix of breakfast items and some lunch items ( I know it’s Brunch). Plus the flow around the stations wasn’t as good as the buffet. Didnt really think it was worth skipping breakfast and lunch for.

However, when they got rid of it they then started having an upgraded lunch in the buffet on the day they would have had the brunch. Ice sculptures, whole salmon, shrimp, roast meats. Way more than a normal lunch but they don’t advertise it. We just came across it so have looked out for it since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We experienced it before they stopped it. It was Ok. We thought it a strange mix of breakfast items and some lunch items ( I know it’s Brunch). Plus the flow around the stations wasn’t as good as the buffet. Didnt really think it was worth skipping breakfast and lunch for.

However, when they got rid of it they then started having an upgraded lunch in the buffet on the day they would have had the brunch. Ice sculptures, whole salmon, shrimp, roast meats. Way more than a normal lunch but they don’t advertise it. We just came across it so have looked out for it since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if we lucked out on our Silhouette cruise in January. But they didn't even have this. We have seen it before on our previous cruises, but not this one. Instead just a themed station at most lunches. Such as Greek, fish and chips etc

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

There were a few reasons they stopped the brunch.. complaints from regular dining room diners who say it was infringing on their space...

time and staff.

The last one we attended was a disaster . Instead of waiting for tables to clear and be reset folks were piling in and sitting at used spots ( at table with other diners who were eating) and then demanding it be cleaned. Staff were flustered. Diners were complaining. Lots of diners eat and stay to chat which does not free up tables for those waiting.