Water Purchase or?

keychee

Bottled water is one of the biggest wastes of money there is. I can't believe people who buy it for $1-2+ a bottle at various places, paying huge markups on something that is so cheap from the tap.

With that said, I do usually get it on the boat. Few non-grocery stores will sell you 12 bottles for that cheap. With the extreme heat, it's good to have and to bring to the ports. Although, this time, my room does not have a fridge. That is probably going to change my mind.

Really?? $4.50 for 12 bottles is a LOT more than $2.99 for 40 bottles that I pay on a regular basis on shore. That's five times the price.

Do your math. At 40 bottles for $2,99 equals 13,4 cents/bottle. 13.4 times 12 equals a 12 pack cost of $1.61 so Carnival is more expensive but not even 3 times more.

Do remember if you decide to wait until onboard to purchase your water, you have to remain in the room until it is delivered. They will not just drop it off inside your room, someone has to be there to sign for it.

If you have gotten Cheers, one of the tricks we were taught onboard was to order a 1L of bottle in the MDR when you are done with your meal for your excursions the next day. Bottled water is free with the Cheers program.

Do remember if you decide to wait until onboard to purchase your water, you have to remain in the room until it is delivered. They will not just drop it off inside your room, someone has to be there to sign for it.

If you have gotten Cheers, one of the tricks we were taught onboard was to order a 1L of bottle in the MDR when you are done with your meal for your excursions the next day. Bottled water is free with the Cheers program.

I find it easier to order online in advance than wait to use room service. Calling room service, 15% gratuity, tip, and from what you say, waiting for delivery - they are all small things, but can be avoided by spending the $4.50 from your computer before you leave home.

I find it easier to order online in advance than wait to use room service. Calling room service, 15% gratuity, tip, and from what you say, waiting for delivery - they are all small things, but can be avoided by spending the $4.50 from your computer before you leave home.

Check the next time you order online... I swear I have seen something recently where Carnival has begun charging a 15% gratuity for online orders delivered to the room.

Do your math. At 40 bottles for $2,99 equals 13,4 cents/bottle. 13.4 times 12 equals a 12 pack cost of $1.61 so Carnival is more expensive but not even 3 times more.

I think your math is a bit off. 40 bottles @ $2.99 is $0.075/bottle. Multiply that times 12 equals $0.90. Multiply that times 5 and that is $4.50. So it is 5 times the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check the next time you order online... I swear I have seen something recently where Carnival has begun charging a 15% gratuity for online orders delivered to the room.

I think water is excluded from the charge. We ordered for our last cruise it was just the $4.50 but people who ordered other items did have the gratuity/service charge.

I think your math is a bit off. 40 bottles @ $2.99 is $0.075/bottle. Multiply that times 12 equals $0.90. Multiply that times 5 and that is $4.50. So it is 5 times the price.

Yes, you can purchase for 1/5 of the cost that you would pay Carnival, BUT YOU CAN'T CARRY IT ON, so your value in doing so is ZERO.

No doubt that bottled water is expensive compared to going to Sam's or Costco to order through the ship. However, it is very convenient for going ashore and you don't have to order 40 of them like you would if you were to buy at the warehouse stores.

Really?? $4.50 for 12 bottles is a LOT more than $2.99 for 40 bottles that I pay on a regular basis on shore. That's five times the price.

OK, it's more than Costco or Walmart. But it's still not much money. $4.50 will probably be the smallest expenditure you'll make the whole cruise.

Thanks everyone. I don’t know that the bottles will fit in the fridge so we may use the ice bucket to keep them chilled if we find that we prefer it that way.

If you mean the 16.9oz bottles in the 12 pack I got maybe 7 or 8 bottles in the mini fridge. It took all night for them to get cold but they did get cold on both my cruises (Conquest and Valor). I can't remember if I put the liter bottle we got in the fridge.

I think water is excluded from the charge. We ordered for our last cruise it was just the $4.50 but people who ordered other items did have the gratuity/service charge.

You think correctly - I ordered 2 12-packs the other day for our cruise next month and it was just 9 bucks total.

I just bought bottle water to have delivered to the cabins. The water is perfectly fine to drink but please note that you may swell up from drinking it. I didn't know this and my ankles swelled up bad so I kept drinking more and more water at dinner because I thought I needed it.....not knowing there is a lot of sodium in the water. Some people this does not effect them.......but it did me. Lesson learned.

Thank you Jess this was very helpful. My cardiologist doesn’t want me to consume that much sodium if possible.

I'm floored at the 1st world complaints about the price of bottled water on Carnival. :rolleyes:

Twelve 16.9 oz bottles for $4.50 is half the price of one mixed drink. If $0.37 per bottle is so outrageous to you - when most public venues charge between $2 and $4 for the same size bottle - perhaps cruising is not the best vacation choice for you. Just sayin .....