Problems with booking vatican tickets

quilter49

Is anyone else having a hard time reserving tickets for the Vatican. The reservation time is available, but errors out at the end. I have contacted my credit card and they are not seeing anything on their end. I have contacted the Vatican and did everything that they asked and still errors. Is anyone else having this issue. The credit card was fine booking the Colosseum.

A few years ago when I tried buying the Vatican tickets I had a problem and had to call them. My problem was them emailing me the confirmation and tickets. Seems like my Road Runner email account was blocking them. I gave them another email and all was fine (yahoo email).

This happens sometimes with credit card transactions via the internet, especially with Italy.

Sometimes it has worked for others to try a different browser (Chrome, Firefox) and/or try a different credit card.

I agree. Try a different credit card.

We purchased Vatican Scavi tour tickets a few months ago and when we we received the link for payment from the Vatican we also had issues making payment. Since it was a while ago, I think this is what we had to do from memory that is a little scetchy. I believe that imgot to the payment page it indicated we needed to use either Verified by Visa or MasterCard Secure Code which are both internet purchase security systems that require PIN code entry. I had to figure out which of my credit cards were part of this free system then figure out how to register them. It is the bank issuing the card that offers it. Once I did this everything worked through the Vatican internet purchase system. The registration can be done online once you see which banks offer this service. Look for registration instructions online at Verified by Visa or MasterCard Secure Code. There are ways there to see which banks offer the service.

This may not be the case for your purchase, but pay particular attention to the instructions once you get to the payment page to see if they state something there about using the aforementioned payment systems. There are also some other people's experiences via Google search.

Again, it was a few months ago but I think this is what i had to do to get it to work. I may have also had to try a couple of different browsers in addition to the secure system credit card services.

FYI - I also called my credit card companies before I realized all of this and they did not see any charges being attempted.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Is anyone else having a hard time reserving tickets for the Vatican. The reservation time is available, but errors out at the end. I have contacted my credit card and they are not seeing anything on their end. I have contacted the Vatican and did everything that they asked and still errors. Is anyone else having this issue. The credit card was fine booking the Colosseum.

I had the same issue this week and also called my bank. There was not an issue on their end. I was using a Visa and switched to a Master Card and it then worked fine.

Yes, this is a known issue. You must have the "Verified by Visa" security protocol set for your card. Call your credit card company, tell them you are trying to make an overseas purchase and want to set the "Verified by Visa" option on your account.

Just an FYI to all. It took 6 hours just today to get this done. Previously spent another 5 hours over the past week with the same unsuccessful outcome. The Princess VISA through Barclay was a problem. Spoke to 10 agents all together who could not get the issue resolved. Tried Internet Explorer and Chrome. Finally got my husband's Chase card to work with Firefox and a Chase rep on the phone. VISA corporate reported to me that Wells Fargo, Barclay, Bank of America, and Chase all have problems with Verified by VISA program. I wish everyone success when trying to buy Vatican tickets. My suggestion: Have patience. Be persistent and keep a bottle of wine handy.

I had the exact same problem this past week. After many frustrating hours, browser switches, changes in credit cards, I got an email back from the Vatican, which suggested a non-Chase credit card, and to have the bank of this Visa pre-approve an estimated amount to the Vatican, and then retry it. It finally worked. Even though this particular Visa does have the "security by Visa" feature, that wouldn't work either without the pre-authorization by the credit card company. Very frustrating, but eventually worked! Wish I had tried to the bottle of wine as well!

I have a Chase card too. Called them and mentioned the "verified by Visa" notation. She transferred me to that department. The man there said "I see you've tried this 3 times. I can approve it." I asked him to approve one only. Done, booked for May!

According to the first person I spoke with, the key words were the Verified by Visa and she knew what to do.