Converting money to euros before cruise

MaC410

AAA will convert USD to euros and does not charge fees as long as you are converting more than either $200 or $300 (can't recall, but I think it's $200). They have to order them and it takes a few days.

But their exchange rate isn't great. Have to remember there is two parts to the equation.

Credit Unions don’t do currency exchange, only a bank..

Just an FYI - in Canada they do; whenever we travel to Europe, we call our Credit Union - which is a full service bank - a few weeks ahead and order our Euros. There isn't a fee because DH is a senior, so all we pay is the day's exchange on the day we receive them.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm still pretty confused about the money thing too but from everything I've read, if you use your credit card for a cash advance the interest starts accruing immediately. It's like taking out a loan. But your credit card may not have a foreign transaction and if your debit card does... It's kind of like juggling.

Personally what I think I may do, haven't really decided yet, is use my CC and them immediately go make the payment. My cc has no transaction fee but my debit card does.

A general rule I follow is to notify all credit card companies and banks where I have cards that I expect to use away from home and let them know my plans so I don't get a rude surprise while in a far away city.

When I talk with them I also ask for the exchange rates used for foreign transactions and ATM utilization.

Question clarified would be when in a port using a ATM, would debit card or credit card be best. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Most credit cards charge a % fee for cash withdrawn. PLUS, they charge interest on a cash withdrawal from the instant you withdraw the money. So you could have almost 2 months of interest by the time the bill actually is due.

I use one for work travel, but that is because that is the policy.

For personal travel, I with draw with a debit card.