Gratuities are

It is fairly easy to call others liars when you don’t have to back it up with facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The facts are clearly stated. You just don't like to here the truth.

You cannot argue with ignorant and self-absorbed and boorish behavior as I'm seeing here. Why bother!!

nice answer when you know you can't win because the facts back up the other side.

I hate tipping culture as it is. I am basically "forced" to pay someone's wages because their employer does not. It's even worse when we're subsidizing their pay for those who choose not to tip. It should not be expected pay. It should be for over the top service.

I respect the hard work these employees put in, I really do. With that said, I feel service is often overrated and forced. I don't need someone to clean my room everyday. I really don't need someone to tell someone else what I want for dinner or to bring me water. How much am I paying per cruise for these things? This is well over $100 on my upcoming cruise for something I would rather do myself.

I keep the standard gratuities in. I also did tip the waiter last time. If what I've said here sounds like it contradicts, it doesn't. The waiter had a great personality and worked hard. I respect hard work. I don't need the service though. I'm advocating more for an opt out of the service vs not paying someone.

It would be wonderful if the employees were paid enough that tipping was not necessary. But they aren't. I just pay the tips and then we tip extra in cash to anyone who goes above and beyond. We also fill out those feedback cards as much as possible to give kudos to people. If you want things to change you are going to have to change legislature and the structure of the corporation that owns these ships. Shorting the workers their tips to prove a point does nothing to change anything. It's armchair activism at its worst because you are literally harming the workers who you are claiming to be a champion of higher wages for by stiffing them the one thing that helps their situation, Money.

I tip extra because good or bad service can change your experience.

Carnival example:

Went to the atrium bar. Had a fast, amazing bartender who was joking around with us even though it was busy before dinner. Great attitude, we left laughing. We tipped him extra based on his attitude alone and that he took a second to make sure we were having a good time.

Alchemy Bar- I waited 25 minutes and left without a drink. I was waiting and the bartender looked over and said she’d be with me next. She finished the drinks she was making and then a “regular” came up so she made her drink. Then, a couple sat down and she made their drink. Then she went out and waited on a table that sat 15 minutes after me. Every time she passed me she said I was next. Then she would wait on someone else. I gave up and had a sub par martini at the piano bar. Those other people may have been there earlier in the cruise but it was ridiculous. She likely had no idea that I tip extra and maybe I would have been served if she did know. I left cranky. Don’t say I’m next then wait on 6-8 other people. I get they were repeat customers, but new customers deserve a little attention too.

I’m a bartender so I recognize what it good service vs what is not. And I also recognize when it’s busy or just steady and what may stress a person out.

Edited by Tank's Mom

The facts are clearly stated. You just don't like to here the truth.

hear*

That is all.

nice answer when you know you can't win because the facts back up the other side.

Expat Cruise, are you involved in politics at all? Asking for a friend.

In all seriousness, did you read your post before submitting it?

Edited by kemc0211

Does anyone have any actual proof other than hearsay that the gratuities do not go entirely to the ships staff?

Regarding people ignorantly stating that gratuities should not be split up by behind the scenes staff - this is common practice in countries with gratuities. Waiters use a portion of their gratuities for bus boys, back of house, cleaners, bar backs, service bar tenders, etc... Just because you are not aware of this does not make what the cruise lines do inappropriate.

Until I have proof that there is a pandemic of companies keeping gratuities I am going to assume that the sensationalism is propaganda of people who feel too cheap to provide a gratuity.

Hide behind the commentary that cruise lines should pay the staff more and include gratuities in the fairs, or other arguments - all you are doing by taking your gratuity away is preventing money from getting to the staff.

You can vocally lobby for a change, abstain from cruising, but you can not take your gratuities back and claim that the staff is not being hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone have any actual proof other than hearsay that the gratuities do not go entirely to the ships staff?

Regarding people ignorantly stating that gratuities should not be split up by behind the scenes staff - this is common practice in countries with gratuities. Waiters use a portion of their gratuities for bus boys, back of house, cleaners, bar backs, service bar tenders, etc... Just because you are not aware of this does not make what the cruise lines do inappropriate.

Until I have proof that there is a pandemic of companies keeping gratuities I am going to assume that the sensationalism is propaganda of people who feel too cheap to provide a gratuity.

Hide behind the commentary that cruise lines should pay the staff more and include gratuities in the fairs, or other arguments - all you are doing by taking your gratuity away is preventing money from getting to the staff.

You can vocally lobby for a change, abstain from cruising, but you can not take your gratuities back and claim that the staff is not being hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can we make this a “sticky” on all future tipping threads?

Gratuities are paid as part of our cruise fare, either before we cruise or billed later. WHY must we feel the need to add MORE gratuities?

Is it because Carnival has cut back so much that these guys are cleaning far more cabins than they legitimately can manage and we feel the need to give them extra because they have done all of that and still met our needs?

:evilsmile:Or, is it because what used to be a 3-man team in the dining room is now a 2-man team, handling MORE TABLES?

If we are ALREADY being charged gratuities, then WHY? :o

I always prepay my gratuities....I am a solo traveler....so to me, the gratuities that i pay i feel is enough....I dont go to any particular bar every day....nor do i go to the MDR for dinner every night...I vary my dinners to the specialty restaurant ...the buffet...the deli....Guys Burgers, and the Blue Iguana....So the $91.00 that i prepay for the gratutiy for the week i feel is sufficient....I know other people tip above and beyond...and that is good....to each their own....

The days of giving additional gratuities by us seem to be long gone....our cabin steward on our most recent cruise rarely cleaned the cabin, the dining team was painfully slow, the food not nearly as delicious, etc. If I didn't feel empathy for the over-worked individuals who toil on six-month contracts to send income back home to families, I'd remove the daily tips. But I don't do that. They plan on it.

I do pre pay and do tip extra to steward, wait staff etc. Each to their own. Remove the tip if you dont feel its deserved no one forces you to pay, it is an option. All I will say is that the crew on board the 4 Carnival cruises I have enjoyed, worked such long hours, were so polite, nothing was too much trouble, and made my cruise an amazing experience. They made me feel truly welcome. For that alone I felt the tip was well deserved. I tipped more for a single meal for our party at a recent Disney hotel.....which was a buffet, and we barely saw the waitress. No one is forcing us to do any of this.