Haven passengers, talk to me about your schedules

Mslmesq

I think I might be in the minority. While I agree the Haven can't be beat for breakfast and lunch, I found it kind of meh/hit or miss for dinner (at least the last 2 times I was on the Escape - but I was so in love with Food Republic and Tapas, that might've colored my decision lol)

Last week on the Breakaway, for dinner in the Haven restaurant, I asked if I could get the fish and chips from O'Sheehan's. The waitress had to check with the maitre 'd. He came over and said they could do it...but said it would take ten minutes. I think that was his way of discouraging me from asking for food from another venue on subsequent nights.

Another night my wife asks for creme brûlée for dessert. Same deal...check with the maitre 'd...he okays it...but says it'll take ten minutes. She loves creme brûlée...so it was worth the wait.

BTW, both times the wait was around eight minutes -- not bad at all.

Last week on the Breakaway, for dinner in the Haven restaurant, I asked if I could get the fish and chips from O'Sheehan's. The waitress had to check with the maitre 'd. He came over and said they could do it...but said it would take ten minutes. I think that was his way of discouraging me from asking for food from another venue on subsequent nights.

Another night my wife asks for creme brûlée for dessert. Same deal...check with the maitre 'd...he okays it...but says it'll take ten minutes. She loves creme brûlée...so it was worth the wait.

Interesting. I think if I was going to order food from another restaurant, I would have gone there. Think what would happen if that trend caught on and everyone in the Haven dining room started ordering food from other places. I know you can do that in your room.

Also we ate dinner in the Haven most every night except for the Specialty Dining rooms. The menu is the same but I would just order different entree's. I wanted to try them all! Did not have one that I was not pleased with.

I think I might be in the minority. While I agree the Haven can't be beat for breakfast and lunch, I found it kind of meh/hit or miss for dinner (at least the last 2 times I was on the Escape - but I was so in love with Food Republic and Tapas, that might've colored my decision lol)

We LOVED the lamb chops. Perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really don't understand this. They said that you should have to wait ten minutes for the food, right? What was the waiting time if you ordered from the Haven menu? My guess should be more that 10 minutes!

I must miss something here!

I really don't understand this. They said that you should have to wait ten minutes for the food, right? What was the waiting time if you ordered from the Haven menu? My guess should be more that 10 minutes!

I don't get it either. If you were to go to O'Sheehans I'd be happy with ordering something and it arriving in 8 minutes.

If you had to have someone cook it and bring it up that would easily take 8 minutes.

Remember, you order your courses all at once...at the beginning of the meal. My guess is they called O'Sheehan's and asked that a fish and chips be sent to the Haven kitchen (or sent someone from the Haven down to pick it up). The time between courses seemed normal...and the O'Sheehan fish and chips were served to me on a Haven plate and were hot.

As for my wife's creme brûlée, dessert is ordered AFTER the main course. They said to expect a ten minute wait. I timed it...it was eight minutes. About the same as any wait for dessert.

I don't get it either. If you were to go to O'Sheehans I'd be happy with ordering something and it arriving in 8 minutes.

If you had to have someone cook it and bring it up that would easily take 8 minutes.

As I just posted...remember that your appetizer, soup, salad and entree courses are all ordered at the beginning of the meal. I'd guess the appetizer, soup and salad took 30 to 40 minutes? So they had PLENTY of time to get a fish and chips entree from O'Sheehan's.

I don’t get why you go to the Haven dining room & order things that are not on the menu. Is that routine procedure?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe for the extra good service in the restaurant. Of maybe some dishes are from the Havenmenu and some from somewhere else.

I'm sure that it's routine for them.

Remember, you order your courses all at once...at the beginning of the meal. My guess is they called O'Sheehan's and asked that a fish and chips be sent to the Haven kitchen (or sent someone from the Haven down to pick it up). The time between courses seemed normal...and the O'Sheehan fish and chips were served to me on a Haven plate and were hot.

As for my wife's creme brûlée, dessert is ordered AFTER the main course. They said to expect a ten minute wait. I timed it...it was eight minutes. About the same as any wait for dessert.

Ok then I understand. No extra wait for food from other restaurants.

I don’t get why you go to the Haven dining room & order things that are not on the menu. Is that routine procedure? Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Haven dinner menu is nice enough...I just felt like something different. And I LOVE the O'Sheehan's fish and chips.

While I got the impression, from the maitre 'd, that they didn't LIKE to go to other restaurants for food...it's also true that the Haven has every menu for every restaurant. So it is a service they are supposed to offer to passengers.

Maybe for the extra good service in the restaurant. Of maybe some dishes are from the Havenmenu and some from somewhere else.

I'm sure that it's routine for them.

Yeah. Only restriction I've ever heard is that you can't order anything that is raw...think sushi from Wasabi's.

Speaking of Wasabe's...we ate lunch there three times. Great food and service. Be sure to try the Wasabi cocktail!

I am new to the Haven and very excited to be there. I have a question about reservations. Does everyone book their reservations online before the cruise? I'm wondering if my DH and I would be okay to wait until we get on board to decide each night where and when we want to eat. If we do this, do we stand any chance of getting in when and where we want? We typically like to eat around 6:00 pm. What do you all think? Should we book ahead or just wait and check out the menus each day?

Thanks,

Karen

I am new to the Haven and very excited to be there. I have a question about reservations. Does everyone book their reservations online before the cruise? I'm wondering if my DH and I would be okay to wait until we get on board to decide each night where and when we want to eat. If we do this, do we stand any chance of getting in when and where we want? We typically like to eat around 6:00 pm. What do you all think? Should we book ahead or just wait and check out the menus each day?

Your best bet is to book specialty dining reservations at the 100 day mark. If something changes, ask the Haven concierge if he can help. Non-Haven passengers can make reservations at the 90 day mark.

BTW, no reservations needed (or possible) for the Haven restaurant.

We just show up, see what the ship has scheduled for us—cocktail party with captain, behind scenes tour, etc, then decide what shows to see and where/when we want to eat. Then we just ask the Concierge Desk to book it all for us. It’s always worked for us.

Based on some reports they moved final payment to 120 days for Haven so your ability to book also moved out to 120 days.

They changed the final payment schedule on suites and Haven a couple of years ago but on our past two cruises and our upcoming TA, we were only able to start booking things one hundred days out, so just a ten-day head start.