Taking A Cruise During Hurricane Season

We cruise all times of the year and have often cruised during the summer/fall hurricane season. We’ve only had two issues in the past 30 years of cruising.

A few years ago, our summer eastern Caribbean cruise became a Western Caribbean cruise.

Last year we were on the Oasis (September ) last year when Irma hit. Our cruise could not return to Port Canaveral and we were delayed three days in returning. The seven night trip that was to follow ours was shortened to a four night cruise.

It really is somewhat rare that a cruise is canceled or shortened. It is only an issue when the storm is approaching the actual embarkation or debarkation port. Otherwise, the ships will change itinerary and avoid the storm.

No need to stress.

Enjoy

M

We also were detoured to a western itinerary on Freedom a few years back and were also on the Oasis last year when Irma hit.

Everyone seemed to love the 3 extra days on board. Not me, I just wanted to get back to Florida and see what damage my house suffered. No more cruising for me during the hurricane season.

To piggyback on InternetWhiz's post, I was one of the ones that was supposed to sail on the LOS on August 27th. I'll not go into the communication failure between RCCL and those of us that where scheduled to sail on her that day instead I'll concentrate on what was offered.

The cruise was not officially cancelled until the afternoon of the 27th since the LOS was having to head to Miami due to the port of Galveston was closed to all traffic. Too late for a lot of people who had already flown into Houston and ended up being stuck in hotels if they were lucky to find one and some that did ended up getting flood damage, no electricity, no way of getting food, just no way out, it was pretty horrible.

Even before the had officially canceled the cruise I was on the phone with RCCL (thanks to InternetWhiz and others that were posting from the ship letting us know what was going on before RCCL said anything) to reschedule the cruise. I was able to reschedule to the October 15th sailing to do this I had to pay for the October cruise in full then had to wait for RCCL to refund the money for the August cruise which took a few days. I received everything back, cruise fare, excursions, beverage package. The only thing I did not get back was the $119.00 for the travel insurance through RCCL. Once the cruise was officially canceled (not even 30 minuets after I hung up the phone) they offered a 25% discount on a future cruise which I was able to apply to the October cruise as well. The 25% was refunded to me in a couple of weeks.

JIm.

Usually, summer is not a time I personally entertain a cruise, I usually prefer the winter escape cruises. Due to schedule reasons with a friend, we are considering a cruise in the end of August out of Port Canaveral on a Western Caribbean cruise. I know weather is obviously not predictable, but how bad does it have to be for a cruise to be cancelled due to a impending hurricane. If a cruise gets cancelled due to weather, do you receive a refund?

It is silly to cruise during hurricane season.......

You rarely see a cruise cancelled (last year being the exception). Most times you get a notice a day or two before your cruise that “plans have changed”. Last year, our Bermuda cruise on the Anthem became a New England and Canada cruise. Had to quickly switch beach-ware for coats and cold weather gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take out insurance!

And what are you going to claim? “It’s raining and I don’t want to go on my cruise.” Don’t expect anything from an insurance company unless you buy cancel for any reason policy and can prove that your cruise line, airline, hotel refused to refund your fare.

Thanks for the input everyone. Is Port Canaveral safer from weather being more north than lets say Port Everglades or is that completely irrelevant?

It's sort of irrelevant and can vary from storm to storm. I've got my third cruise booked for this season, let me relate my experience so far.

Oct of 16, we booked a 4 day of Port Canaveral. The worst of the storms hit in Sept, We had a great cruise, water was a little clouds in some places, and we were in Nassua about 3 weeks after Matthew and it was interesting seeing them clean up.

In Sept of 17, two hurricanes caused damage we are still feeling. I was again booked on Majesty. Several Majesty cruises were canceled out of Port Canveral as there was a mandatory evacuation (if I remember correct) Many of the people of the canceled cruises were refunded or rebooked. Our cruise was Majesty's first after the storm and our cruise was shortened by 1 day to a 3 day, but we managed to have a good time and spent the 1 day refunded to us for excursions.

After I get back from Jewel, I'll be watching summer storms again this year.

Jim, I had forgotten they waited that late to cancel. Did the insurance cover any of your lodging or other expenses incurred from early travel? If so, that’s why insurance wasn’t refunded.

Hi Karen,

Since I live in San Antonio I did not have any other expenses. I had a hotel booked for Saturday night but I cancelled it within the cancellation window for the hotel which was by 4 pm the day before.

I really didn't look into it since at the time I figured the reason it was not refunded was that the insurance was non-refundable.

Fingers are crossed as you can see in my sig I've booked for the same week this year. I mean what are the odds a hurricane will hit the same port the same week two years in a row. :eek:

Jim.

I've always sailed in October or early November. Have no desire to go a cruise when it is hot--I live in it already. Last year I think Enchantment was the first ship to visit Key West after the hurricane. Just eeked by when the hurricane hit Bermuda. Just a chance I take not to suffocate with hot weather.

Hi Karen,

Since I live in San Antonio I did not have any other expenses. I had a hotel booked for Saturday night but I cancelled it within the cancellation window for the hotel which was by 4 pm the day before.

I really didn't look into it since at the time I figured the reason it was not refunded was that the insurance was non-refundable.

Fingers are crossed as you can see in my sig I've booked for the same week this year. I mean what are the odds a hurricane will hit the same port the same week two years in a row. :eek:

Jim.

We sailed August 21, 2016 and it was just fine.

“Don’t sail during hurricane season”

“Don’t sail during the winter”

What’s left??? 2 months during the late spring?

Hmm, per weather.gov “Primary severe weather season across the United States is considered to be in the spring (March-May)”, so that’s a bad time to travel, too.

There’s always reasons to go and reasons not to go, including weather.

We cruise all times of the year and have often cruised during the summer/fall hurricane season. We’ve only had two issues in the past 30 years of cruising.

A few years ago, our summer eastern Caribbean cruise became a Western Caribbean cruise.

Last year we were on the Oasis (September ) last year when Irma hit. Our cruise could not return to Port Canaveral and we were delayed three days in returning. The seven night trip that was to follow ours was shortened to a four night cruise.

It really is somewhat rare that a cruise is canceled or shortened. It is only an issue when the storm is approaching the actual embarkation or debarkation port. Otherwise, the ships will change itinerary and avoid the storm.

No need to stress.

Enjoy

M

I was on the cruise following yours. We were given half of our cruise fare (minus taxes and port fees) back in cash on the cruise from guest services and a future cruise credit for the other half of the fare. So we basically got a four night cruise for the cost of taxes and port fees and the ship was less than half full. We are using the cruise credit for this Sept.

My friend was supposed to be on the cruise with us, but she had to cancel for a future cruise credit. The problem with that was they wouldn't let her use it toward her deposit, so for her cruise this Sept she had to pay the $500 deposit and she is still left with $600 of her future cruise credit.

I'm 50/50 on reroutes. Cruise to Canada went to Bermuda people actually complained they didn't have shorts.

Cruise from NYC to Bermuda went to Boston and back to NYC wouldn't let us off the boat in Boston until they got some waver for carrying American Citizens between two US ports without a foreign port of call.