Please help me choose stateroom! Veendam 364 or 548!

ann1bell

I have studied many posts about inside cabins on the Veendam and other ships in her class.

I see that 548 on Main Deck is a sideways cabin. It has great space but also some noise from the crew, esp in the mornings. The bathroom light shines into the cabin when turned on in the middle of the night. This would be solved by using a flashlight. The other minor issue is the fact that opening the door must be done when anyone near the door is appropriately dressed. Many people really like this cabin.

I am also looking at 364 located on the Lower Prom Deck aft of the atrium. It seems to be under the Hudson room. It is not as large as 548 but may be quieter.

Anyone have an opinion for me? Thanks some much.

Edited by ann1bell
usage

I have studied many posts about inside cabins on the Veendam and other ships in her class.

I see that 548 on Main Deck is a sideways cabin. It has great space but also some noise from the crew, esp in the mornings. The bathroom light shines into the cabin when turned on in the middle of the night. This would be solved by using a flashlight. The other minor issue is the fact that opening the door must be done when anyone near the door is appropriately dressed. Many people really like this cabin.

I am also looking at 364 located on the Lower Prom Deck aft of the atrium. It seems to be under the Hudson room. It is not as large as 548 but may be quieter.

Anyone have an opinion for me? Thanks some much.

Sounds like you have done your homework (y).

You've probably already looked at the pics on halfacts (dot) com. While 548 would cause me some concern being next to the laundry, the comments are very favourable for this cabin.

548 is definitely larger.

If you like space I would go for 548. If you are a light sleeper or bothered by noise, I'd sacrifice the space and go for the smaller cabin 364.

Hopefully our 'inside' expert, Ruth C sees this thread and weighs in.

I'd follow her sage advice if she does. ;)

Six o' one; half a dozen o' the other---if 364 truly is under the Hudson Room.

I have been in 549 (same style, just on starboard) on two different ships, and never heard any noise from crew, or anything much else, for that matter. There were a few people holding a conversation in the passageway one afternoon when I was trying to nap, but that can happen anyplace.

Cabin 548 is right there at the stairway/elevator bank, so there is no back-tracking when you want to get somewhere. It is also very handy to getting up to Lower Promenade.

Personally, I like the additional space of 548, and the fact that the closets are separate from each other. Two people can each be at their own closet at the same time.

Whichever one you choose, enjoy! You really can't make a mistake on either one.

My brother had 548 on one of the Veendam's sister ships. He liked the size and location, but the only strange thing he noted was that when they opened or closed the sliding roof over the Lido, he could hear a squealing noise in the cabin. He wasn't in the cabin too frequently for it to bother him, but he did notice the quirk.

My brother had 548 on one of the Veendam's sister ships. He liked the size and location, but the only strange thing he noted was that when they opened or closed the sliding roof over the Lido, he could hear a squealing noise in the cabin. He wasn't in the cabin too frequently for it to bother him, but he did notice the quirk.

Thanks, Ellieanne. I hope for no squealing noises!

For the record, I have been in the 'sister' cabin 549 on two different ships, and never heard the Lido roof being opened/closed.

So, it may have been an oddity when the brother heard it.

We just got off the Veendam today we’re we’re assigned room 655 toward the back elevator. The room and the hall had a horrible chemical smell. I had a headache and my husband who has respiratory problems and using oxygen felt ill the whole two days we were in the room. They finally moved us to room 524 towards the front of the ship, which was much better. 549 May be far enough away from the smell but I wouldn’t take the chance, get a room further away. The whole back of the ship on the Main deck smelled during our whole cruise. They were only able to move a few people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

549 May be far enough away from the smell but I wouldn’t take the chance, get a room further away. The whole back of the ship on the Main deck smelled during our whole cruise.

Cabin 549 is forward of the forward elevators. It is nowhere near the aft of the ship.

Our family spent 14 days on the Veendam during a Panama Canal Christmas cruise last year. There were three people in our cabin. My DW and adult daughter. The room is more spacious, but it does have its issues. You've already mentioned the bathroom issue with the door opening directly into the room. Since I was the only male with two females, there was no way for the ladies to get dressed without me leaving the room. The laundry is across the hall and was always busy. For us, on a longer cruise, it was very convenient. Sometimes you would run into a fellow passenger reading a book in the hallway waiting for their clothes to dry. There was noise in the morning from the staff in the room behind the headboard. Because it is a sideways room, you could hear people walking down the hall. There is a dead wasted space in the corner next to the bathroom, opposite the entry door. This is where we put a pop up hamper. If you bring a 24 inch extendable closet rod, you can use the space to hang long dresses. We would book the room again if it is available.