Would cafe's advertise free wifi if buying coffee?

Sallyandtex

We will be going to Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway.

I have looked on the forums regarding free wifi to send a quick messenger to family whilst away.

Some suggest library or cafes.

Just wondering if there would be a sign up saying "free wifi" with coffee/food? Or is this the norm in Alsaka cafe's to have wifi?

Also a question for any Canadians, we are doing a Rockies tour, would there be free wifi in the tourist areas and cafes?

I have looked on the forums regarding free wifi to send a quick messenger to family whilst away.

Just wondering if there would be a sign up saying "free wifi" with coffee/food? Or is this the norm in Alsaka cafe's to have wifi?

Also a question for any Canadians, we are doing a Rockies tour, would there be free wifi in the tourist areas and cafes?

I use my cell phone (ATT) as a hotspot while in ports. To find free wifi, ask any crew member or follow them when they leave the ship since that is their first stop.

Here is a link to free wifi spots in Alaska:

http://www.wififreespot.com/alk.php

Some have signs, some don’t. Ask first. Bars are a lot more prevalent in Alaska than cafes and almost every bar will have WiFi for the price of a coke or beer. I usually don’t bother with WiFi in ports as I just use my cellphone. Skagway has terrible cell service and no good WiFi. Don’t waste your time going to the library there. If you have to use WiFi in Skagway go to the crew WiFi place and pay for it.

I use my cell phone (ATT) as a hotspot while in ports. To find free wifi, ask any crew member or follow them when they leave the ship since that is their first stop.

Here is a link to free wifi spots in Alaska:

http://www.wififreespot.com/alk.php

I'm not the most tech savvy person. What do you mean when you say you use your phone as a hot spot? What are the benefits? Ia it something that makes it cheaper to keep in touch? Thanks for any info.

I'm not the most tech savvy person. What do you mean when you say you use your phone as a hot spot? What are the benefits? Ia it something that makes it cheaper to keep in touch? Thanks for any info.

You're a Canadian Daisyloo - so unless your cell plan includes coverage (and data!) in the US, the info is no good to you!

A Hot Spot is just a local hub - a 'shared connection' if you will. You can connect multiple devices using cables, bluetooth, WiFi, directly or via a portable router - and as long as one of them has an outside connection enable the others to share it. e.g. if you are traveling as a family, you could buy one 'US Roaming' package and let the whole family share that - but NB the data caps!!!

Thanks Martincath for the quick reply.

My cell provider has a plan where for $5.00 per day (only on the actual number of days I use it) I can use my plan in the US just the way I do at home, (data, text, calling). If I don't connect on a certain day there is no charge. So, I think I will look for free wifi if possible and if I can't find it, I will pay the $5.00 to use my plan. We did this is in Florida last year and it worked well. But maybe your idea of a hotspot will enable my son who will be with us to connect too.

OP - are you an American? I hate to point out the obvious but Alaska is part of the U.S. which means it is considered part of your home service area. If you are using a cell phone plan from the states, usage will be include in your regular plan when you are in Alaska. Again, I hate to point out the obvious but many people just don't realize this.

Who is you service provider? If it's Verizon, they have an international plan that costs only $2/day while in Canada. The fee is charged only on the days that you use it.

Skagway’s pubic library is in the heart of the city ... and the last we visited, they had free wifi and dry comfy spaces.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The WiFi is terrible at the library in Skagway unless it’s changed since last year. It is literally unusable. If you have to get on WiFi in Skagway, go to the crew WiFi place near the docks and pay for it.

T-Mobile provides unlimited calling and data in all of North America, so US or Canada (or Mexico, but this since question is about Alaska/BC/Yukon ...), it's all good (except, I guess, Skagway, where service is not good).

Before using "free wifi" in any cruise port or vacation/resort area, google and watch the NBC Today Show Rossen Reports on wifi hacking in these areas. That "free" wifi could be one of the most expensive things you ever don't purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

T-Mobile provides unlimited calling and data in all of North America, so US or Canada (or Mexico, but this since question is about Alaska/BC/Yukon ...), it's all good (except, I guess, Skagway, where service is not good).

Could i get a t-mobile sim to suit my Australian mobile at Vancouver airport? Is there a summary of bandwidth frequency needed for US and Canada mobile reception somewhere?