Wonderful Copenhagen 2018 edition.

A few years ago, post cruise, we spent one night at a hotel that is very close to the CPH airport (I think from the hotel, there is a covered walkaway that that we walked about 5 minutes from the hotel to the airport).  I can't remember the name of that hotel, anyone knows the name? 

Besides that hotel, any suggestions for an average priced hotel that is very close to the CPH airport?  Best if hotel also offers free shuttle.  We plan to stay 1 night on April 29, 2019 (after the end of our Regal Princess cruise).

Thank you for any suggestion!!

16 hours ago, Ga Hiker said:

I will be in Copenhagen for one night next May. I'm will be by myself this trip and need a suggestion for a budget hotel close to the train station and Tivoli. I plan to use public transportation for the most part. Thanks 

Cabinn City, Wakeup (2 locations nearby but the one at Bernstoffsvej is the one closest to the downtown area) and Steel House is the 3 I would look at. 

Just notice that the rooms at Cabinn are very small. 

11 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

A few years ago, post cruise, we spent one night at a hotel that is very close to the CPH airport (I think from the hotel, there is a covered walkaway that that we walked about 5 minutes from the hotel to the airport).  I can't remember the name of that hotel, anyone knows the name? 

Besides that hotel, any suggestions for an average priced hotel that is very close to the CPH airport?  Best if hotel also offers free shuttle.  We plan to stay 1 night on April 29, 2019 (after the end of our Regal Princess cruise).

Thank you for any suggestion!!

It was a Hilton hotel before bit is now a Clarion hotel. 

Quality Hotel Airport Dan is located one stop away with the metro. 

But else Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers and AC Hotel Bella Sky has a Shuttle. 

8 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Merry Christmas to every one. 

I am sorry that I have not posted as much here lately but I am not a fan of the new layout, but I'm guessing its just a matter of getting used to it. 🙂

Merry Christmas to you!   I'm not a huge fan either, but you'll eventually get used to it.  (There are still some very annoying glitches and missing functionality...sigh....)  Thanks again for all your hard work on this thread!

2 hours ago, runnerswife said:

Has anyone ever stayed at First Hotel Twentyseven in Copenhagen?   Appreciate any comments.

Mary

Also, has anyone ever taken a 6:00 am flight from Copenhagen?  Already booked it because we got

an unbelievable price for business class........  Mary

1 hour ago, runnerswife said:

Also, has anyone ever taken a 6:00 am flight from Copenhagen?  Already booked it because we got

an unbelievable price for business class........  Mary

I have quite often taken a 6:00 am flight out of CPH - my advise is to stay at the Airport Clarion hotel - just walking distance.

On 12/24/2018 at 4:34 AM, Danish viking said:

Cabinn City, Wakeup (2 locations nearby but the one at Bernstoffsvej is the one closest to the downtown area) and Steel House is the 3 I would look at. 

Just notice that the rooms at Cabinn are very small. 

We are booked for one night pre-cruise at the Wakeup Bernstorffsgade in May.  Price was right, and it looks to be a good location. Is that the one you refer to in your post?  We think it just opened this fall.  Is that correct?  Any reviews from those that have stayed there would be appreciated. Would also appreciate detailed directions for public transportation from airport to hotel, and also from hotel to cruise port.  

We stayed at Cabinn City Hotel precruise last May for a night. We took the train from the airport, (bought a day pass from the airport), it was just a short walk from the train station to the hotel through the mall. Indeed, the room was quite small, but we were only there to sleep for the night, and the washroom was really tight, but it worked for us, so we didn’t mind. There was a kettle for coffee and tea in the room. The hotel was super busy that week due to the soccer championships and it took a long time to check in because of the big groups that came in for the games (you need to take a number to check in). Their breakfast buffet was great with a good selection of both hot and cold, the pictures on their website are all accurate. Food tasted good, customer service was professional and friendly. We took the train again going to the port, but got off along the way (pardon me the name of the stop/exit escapes me, to take the Bus 24 or 25 that brought us to terminal 1 for Norwegian Cruise ship. Danish Viking gave all the pertinent details and instructions then for transportation from the airport to the port from Cabinn City Hotel so you could refer to previous posts. 

7 hours ago, Karber said:

We are booked for one night pre-cruise at the Wakeup Bernstorffsgade in May.  Price was right, and it looks to be a good location. Is that the one you refer to in your post?  We think it just opened this fall.  Is that correct?  Any reviews from those that have stayed there would be appreciated. Would also appreciate detailed directions for public transportation from airport to hotel, and also from hotel to cruise port.  

I have stayed at the Wakeup Hotel Borgegade and I thought it was great.  The location near Nyhavn was convenient to many attractions; the room was clean, comfortable and quiet (we paid extra for a room in an upper floor); and the breakfast buffet (also an extra charge) was well worth the cost.  

The Wakeup Hotel Bernstorffsgade is also in a good location and I imagine it will be of similar quality as the Borgegade location.  You should like it. 

20 hours ago, Karber said:

Yes it opened in early november. 

According to TripAdvisor they have a 3,5 rating, the same as the hotel on Carsten Niebuhrs gade. 

The hotel on Borgergade gets 4 or 4,1 so that one is a little bit better. 

The reviews seems to be okay, there is a few bad but it seems like they just had a bad experience. 

2 hours ago, Danish viking said:
22 hours ago, Karber said:

Yes it opened in early november. 

According to TripAdvisor they have a 3,5 rating, the same as the hotel on Carsten Niebuhrs gade. 

The hotel on Borgergade gets 4 or 4,1 so that one is a little bit better. 

The reviews seems to be okay, there is a few bad but it seems like they just had a bad experience. 

Thanks for the replies, GradUT and Danish Viking! Just checked, and prices for May have really gone up since we booked at the Wakeup Bernstorffsgade. Can this hotel be reached by Metro system or is it best to take the train?

We are booked on Regal  Princess July 15.  Will arrive at the Airport at 23:55 on the 14th. there are 5 adults in our party.

Should we book a hotel close to the airport or close to the cruise terminal?  Is there transportation at that time of Night? would a taxi/van be the best way to go?   Thank you

13 hours ago, costie12 said:

We are booked on Regal  Princess July 15.  Will arrive at the Airport at 23:55 on the 14th. there are 5 adults in our party.

Should we book a hotel close to the airport or close to the cruise terminal?  Is there transportation at that time of Night? would a taxi/van be the best way to go?   Thank you

If it were me, I'd absolutely find a hotel near the airport.  Although service isn't as frequent, public transport runs 24/7, so you could catch a train to a place like the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers, which is only two stops from the airport.  The next day, you can take a train/bus combo down to the cruise terminal.

17 hours ago, Karber said:

Thanks for the replies, GradUT and Danish Viking! Just checked, and prices for May have really gone up since we booked at the Wakeup Bernstorffsgade. Can this hotel be reached by Metro system or is it best to take the train?

If you're coming from the airport, there's no direct route to the Wakeup Bernstorffsgade,  It is close to a bus stop, so you could always connect from a train or the metro.

Edited by FredZiffle

I will just chime in 🙂

The Wakeup hotel on Bernstoffsgade is located 5 minutes on foot from the central station so there is a direct route from the airport, just take the Øresund train towards Nivå or Helsingør and get off at the central station.

Edited by Danish viking

On 12/30/2018 at 11:52 AM, Danish viking said:

I will just chime in 🙂

The Wakeup hotel on Bernstoffsgade is located 5 minutes on foot from the central station so there is a direct route from the airport, just take the Øresund train towards Nivå or Helsingør and get off at the central station.

Thank you for the information.

5 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Happy new year, as I post this there is 20 minutes to go and the 90 years birthday is next on the telly. 

Same procedure as last year 🙂

I look forward to Wonderful Copenhagen 2019, both here on CC and in reality. I will have 5 days in the city before my cruise, and I am very much looking forward to it, as well as to all the help and advice that will be available.

Happy New Year!

5 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I look forward to Wonderful Copenhagen 2019, both here on CC and in reality. I will have 5 days in the city before my cruise, and I am very much looking forward to it, as well as to all the help and advice that will be available.

Happy New Year!

With 5 days in town I suggest that you will see something out of town as well. 

A one day trip to the castles in Northern Zealand in Hillerød (Frederiksborg) and Helsingør (Kronborg aka Hamlets castle). 

This can be done by public train and is doable as I have been doing it with some one from this forum because they asked if I wanted to be a guide for a day 🙂

We ended up having dinner in Tivoli after the trip, but anything works. 

Its not something I usually do as it has only happened once in my 10-15 years or so on this forum.  🙂

Another trip I would suggest is to visit the Viking ship museum in Roskilde, perhaps with the Ragnerock rock museum (founded by Roskilde Festival) and the Roskilde Cathedral. 

Another out of town trip could be the open air museum in Sorgenfri just north of Copenhagen, this has old buildings from 300-400 years ago and people dressing up as they where from that time. 

This one can be combined with a horse carriage ride to to Bakken that is the oldest amusement in the world. 

The horse carriage ride starts in Klampenborg but its easy to get to there from Sorgenfri. 

All this does that a Copenhagen Card is worth the price as its cover transportation and entrance to most of the place mentioned if not all. 

It will of course be to busy to do all 3 trips but 1 or 2 of them is doable in 5 days 

If you are interested i can provide some more info like transport and link to the various websites. 

3 hours ago, Danish viking said:

With 5 days in town I suggest that you will see something out of town as well. 

A one day trip to the castles in Northern Zealand in Hillerød (Frederiksborg) and Helsingør (Kronborg aka Hamlets castle). 

This can be done by public train and is doable as I have been doing it with some one from this forum because they asked if I wanted to be a guide for a day 🙂

We ended up having dinner in Tivoli after the trip, but anything works. 

Its not something I usually do as it has only happened once in my 10-15 years or so on this forum.  🙂

Another trip I would suggest is to visit the Viking ship museum in Roskilde, perhaps with the Ragnerock rock museum (founded by Roskilde Festival) and the Roskilde Cathedral. 

Another out of town trip could be the open air museum in Sorgenfri just north of Copenhagen, this has old buildings from 300-400 years ago and people dressing up as they where from that time. 

This one can be combined with a horse carriage ride to to Bakken that is the oldest amusement in the world. 

The horse carriage ride starts in Klampenborg but its easy to get to there from Sorgenfri. 

All this does that a Copenhagen Card is worth the price as its cover transportation and entrance to most of the place mentioned if not all. 

It will of course be to busy to do all 3 trips but 1 or 2 of them is doable in 5 days 

If you are interested i can provide some more info like transport and link to the various websites. 

The 2 that I had on my list are the trip to Frederiksborg and Kronborg, and the trip to Roskilde. I will definitely get the Copenhagen card, because a lot of the things that I want to do have charges. Thanks for your help. I may have more questions closer to the time.

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

The 2 that I had on my list are the trip to Frederiksborg and Kronborg, and the trip to Roskilde. I will definitely get the Copenhagen card, because a lot of the things that I want to do have charges. Thanks for your help. I may have more questions closer to the time.

In August, we spent three days in Copenhagen before a cruise.  We used one of them to take the "Grand Day Trip Around Copenhagen" tour with Hamlet Tours, which took us to Roskilde Cathedral, the Viking Ship Museum, Frederiksborg Palace, and  Kronborg Castle.  It was a jam-packed full day, perhaps trying to cram too much in, but I'm glad we went, given the time we had.   Here are my thoughts on those places:

I fell in love with Frederiksborg Palace.  It is just stunning, sort of like a Danish Versailles.  It is huge and fascinating, practically an art gallery in every room, and I would have liked to have been able to spend at least half a day there.  (We didn't even have a chance to walk out to the gardens.)

Kronborg Castle: I thought this was overrated in that I did not find the inside that interesting.  Fine to see the impressive exterior and say you've been to "Hamlet's Castle," but I would not have spent the amount of time that was allocated to this castle on this particular tour (given the other sites we were visiting).  [If you wind up going on your own and can combine this with a visit to Fredericksborg on the same day, allotting more time to the latter, I think that would be an interesting day.]

Roskilde Cathedral -- interesting, but a complete madhouse when we were there.

Viking Ship Museum -- extremely interesting.

Here are some photos of Fredericksborg Palace:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

• Like 1