Montreal to Boston, Summer 2018

jlnprt

Dh and I were seriously considering a Baltic cruise this summer. We looked at the itineraries and decided that next summer would be better for the Baltics as our schedule will be more flexible then. So .... now we are considering the Montreal to Boston/Boston to Montreal 7 day cruise on either the Veendam or Maasdam. Any major advantages/disadvantages to starting in Montreal rather than Boston. What about advantages/disadvantages of the ships? Thanks so much for your help!

We sailed from Montreal and real enjoyed the sailaway from there, but I don't think one is more advantageous than the other. We opted to fly roundtrip into Boston and did a one way rental car to Montreal as it was much cheaper that way. Both cities are worth exploring pre or post cruise.

In my opinion, the one big advantage of sailing from Boston to Montreal is that you sail into Montreal and get to see sunrise through Habitat 67 on the last morning. It is one of my favorite sights on that itinerary.

That said, if you have time before the cruise, I would always vote for sailing from Montreal and spending a day or two before the cruise in Montreal. If you aren't planning any time before or after the cruise for exploring the city, I'd really look at which port has the more convenient flights. I always fly up at least a day early, but coming home we fly out the day the cruise ends, though we do not book flights before noon and often later than 2:00 pm.

I've taken this cruise on the Maasdam both ways - starting in Boston one year and starting in Montreal another year. Both are great! I didn't really notice any differences in the cruise itself. It just depends which way you can find cheaper airfare :) I did really enjoy exploring Montreal, so either way you take the cruise, be sure to spend a day or two in Montreal before or after!

I love the Maasdam and her sister ships... compared to the newer ships, they're quite small (1300 passengers) so the experience feels more intimate. If you're a fan of smaller ships, you'll love it! In fact, the smaller ships work best for this itinerary because there is a bridge near either Quebec City or Montreal (can't remember which) that is quite low, and the Maasdam barely clears it! Since the itinerary has you in port much of the time, I didn't feel like the ship was boring or lacked amenities of a larger ship at all. Maybe if you were taking a transatlantic or something you would get stir crazy, but this itinerary has you in port nearly every day. There are a lot of cozy places to read or watch the scenery of the St. Lawrence River go by!

Edited by athome_atsea

We are on the Veendam in 6 weeks from Montreal to Boston. We are only a few hours away from the Port of Montreal, so are driving there, leaving our car at the airport, cabbing it to the port ($40 flat fee) and flying back to Montreal from Boston, which was $60USD per person. We're tickled that we can finally drive to a port like all you Floridians!

We are on the Veendam in 6 weeks from Montreal to Boston. We are only a few hours away from the Port of Montreal, so are driving there, leaving our car at the airport, cabbing it to the port ($40 flat fee) and flying back to Montreal from Boston, which was $60USD per person. We're tickled that we can finally drive to a port like all you Floridians!

Two years ago we parked at the port in Montreal planning to get the weekly rate which is much cheaper, for our 14 day return cruise. Much to our delight there was NO Parking Fee. We were given a window tag and when we were ready to drive out the barrier was open and we were waved thru'. This had to have been simple good fortune.

Google weekly rates for 2018.

For a Montreal to Fort Lauderdale last year we took a Greyhound bus which cost LESS than the taxi fare to the bus station. We flew home of course.

Ruth

We can also drive easily to Montreal. Planning on taking advantage of last minute sales this year to hop on this cruise. That's a great price for airfare though. Would you mind sharing what airline you are using from Boston to Montreal?

We've done several Canada cruises on Veendam, Maasdam, and one on Zuiderdam. Except for a Boston-Boston round trip, we've always started in Canada, ending in Boston or NYC. I like to have the easier connection at the end of a cruise rather than at the beginning.

If you can add the time, definitely stay a few days in Montreal and/or Boston. Both are great cities with lots to see. If you haven't done a Canada cruise before, check out the port of call boards. Lots of very helpful posters there.

One thing to consider when coming from Montreal to Boston - Bar Harbor ME - you must clear immigration first and it is a tender port. Going the other way - you have Halifax to clear immigration - but it is not a tender port.

My excursion at Acadia Natl Park missed one feature - because we were not early enough through immigration to make the park's cut-off time. If an early excursion at Acadia is important to you - you might want to take Boston to Montreal. Just something else to consider.

I'm doing Montreal to Boston this summer and I did Quebec City to Boston to FLL on a repo in 2016. I liked coming back to the US.

We sailed from Boston last summer on the Maasdam. The ships are the same size, but the Veendam added more cabins on the Verandah deck. However the public spaces are the same except the aft pool. I like the Maasdam because of its more generous pubic space to number of passengers ratio.

We stayed a few days in Boston then boarded the Maasdam and stayed several days in Montreal..Both cities are fabulous. Disembarkation is a breeze. We were welcomed to Canada, weren't asked for passports and off we went with our luggage!

I so appreciate all of the advice. This board is so helpful! We are definitely planning to spend a couple of days pre-cruise, but we've been to Boston a few times, so sounds like Montreal might be a good starting point! We're on the East Coast, so my preliminary airfare check turns up some reasonable fares.

One thing to consider when coming from Montreal to Boston - Bar Harbor ME - you must clear immigration first and it is a tender port. Going the other way - you have Halifax to clear immigration - but it is not a tender port.

My excursion at Acadia Natl Park missed one feature - because we were not early enough through immigration to make the park's cut-off time. If an early excursion at Acadia is important to you - you might want to take Boston to Montreal. Just something else to consider.

I'm doing Montreal to Boston this summer and I did Quebec City to Boston to FLL on a repo in 2016. I liked coming back to the US.

I was impressed at how well immigration was handled at Bar Harbor. We've made it through quickly every time.

We will be on the Veendam Sept 22nd out of Montreal to Boston. Best for us is to drive to Albany and take the Amtrak Adirondack to Montreal. Stay overnight and upon arrival in Boston take Amtrak Lake Shore Limited that afternoon back to Albany.

We will be on the Veendam Sept 22nd out of Montreal to Boston. Best for us is to drive to Albany and take the Amtrak Adirondack to Montreal. Stay overnight and upon arrival in Boston take Amtrak Lake Shore Limited that afternoon back to Albany.

Sounds like my trip, except I start and end in Florida.

We can also drive easily to Montreal. Planning on taking advantage of last minute sales this year to hop on this cruise. That's a great price for airfare though. Would you mind sharing what airline you are using from Boston to Montreal?

Air Canada. $99 CAD or $62 USD There are about 4-6 direct flights from Boston to Montreal each day on Air Canada.

We got a great rate with 3/4 passenger free (our teens sail with us). There are only oceanview and inside quads on the Veendam, so we're in an oceanview. As you know, the port charges are so expensive in Canada so that was almost half of the fare.

Hope that you chose the Maasdam. The Rear pool on the Veendam. Its more like a pool to wet your feet. The Maasdam has its original outdoor which is much better for young people as long as "older young people". ie teens.

Hope that you chose the Maasdam. The Rear pool on the Veendam. Its more like a pool to wet your feet. The Maasdam has its original outdoor which is much better for young people as long as "older young people". ie teens.

No it's the Veendam. The timing of it was perfect for us to get away. Yes, the Veendam aft area is peculiar. It might be nice though on a sunny day to dunk your feet in. Early May the water in a pool would be mightly chilly out on an open deck I would think. We haven't sailed on the Veendam since our first cruise in 2000. It was some kind of Canadian themed cruise because we quickly realized Don Harron and Catherine McKinnon were in the cabin next door!

In July 2016, the “birdbath” was gone from the Veendam. Four hot tubs on a platform replaced it. MS Rotterdam still has the wading pool, but not Veendam.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums