Cruises of Scandinavia without Russia?

As the political climate worsens, any chance the major cruise lines will offer cruises that include Stockholm and Copenhagen without Russia?

Until the political issues calm down Russia is a no go for us, but we’d really like to see Copenhagen, Stockholm, Finland, Tallin, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They go to all those ports, you could just not disembark in the russian ports maybe?

If you are not allowed to disembark as a ship, you are not allowed to enter the waters of the country. Even if you stay on the ship once within the territorial waters of the country you are under the control of the country. For example if you are wanted for a crime within the country stay on the ship would not protect you.

If you are not allowed to disembark as a ship, you are not allowed to enter the waters of the country. Even if you stay on the ship once within the territorial waters of the country you are under the control of the country. For example if you are wanted for a crime within the country stay on the ship would not protect you.

The OP seemed to be saying they didn’t *want* to visit Russia in the current climate, not that they’d not be allowed. So my suggestion was to not disembark, since the cruises now currently go to all the other ports mentioned

We docked in Sochi right after Russia annexed the Crimea. With tensions so high, we were the only passenger vessel at the port. Not at any time did we feel threatened or uncomfortable. In fact, the Russians seemed pleased to have visitors and the port authorities were (for Russians) friendly. When several people in our group ended up stuck behind a locked door in the port area, the guards burst into laughter and rushed to let them out. St. Petersburg is amazing: don't miss it!!

Until the political issues calm down Russia is a no go for us, but we’d really like to see Copenhagen, Stockholm, Finland, Tallin, etc.

Exactly why is it a no go? Yes a few consulates have closed and diplomats sent home, but I wouldn't think that as a means to not go. If you not go to a country on political or moral grounds, there wouldn't be many countries left to visit. I doubt there would be an increased safety risk for the average tourist.

Most cruises include St. Petersburg as a destination, but an alternative is you can DIY and purchase ferry trips (eg. Stockholm to Helsinki, Helsinki to Tallinn, Tallinn to Stockholm).

I’d like to see SPB too. However, for me that won’t happen in the current political climate for work related reasons. I just hate to take out the rest of Scandinavia too since transportation, food and lodging are so expensive in Scandinavia. A cruise would decrease the cost significantly.

I’d like to see SPB too. However, for me that won’t happen in the current political climate for work related reasons. I just hate to take out the rest of Scandinavia too since transportation, food and lodging are so expensive in Scandinavia. A cruise would decrease the cost significantly.

Would just shelve it until you’re comfortable then- there isn’t much reason to go on that sort of itinerary and not see St Petersburg- it’s by far the highlight of that sort of itinerary. Even if you did stay on board the ship the stop in Russia is usually 2 nights and 3 days of the itinerary so that wouldn’t make any sense.

As others have mentioned ferries might be an option but you won’t capture the cost savings of avoiding a hotel like you would on a cruise. There are few if any trips that don’t call on SPB but cover the other Baltic cities.

What’s happening now is completely political posturing- there isn’t any threat to your safety or security. SPB is a lovely city full of nice people. Cruise lines tend to be very conservative when it comes to these things- if for any reason they thought there was danger to their passengers, crew, or vessels they would cancel these trips. Not one has.

We felt completely safe in 2014 during the last political crisis. I can understand if you’d prefer not to visit Russia, but please bear in mind this cruise is usually very port intensive with few sea days. There are cruises that only stop in St. Petersburg for one day - staying on the ship for one day might be something to consider, given how much there is to see in the other cities. Everyone was quite happy but tired, and skipping one day would still make this a lovely experience given how special stockholm, Tallinn and Copenhagen are.