MSC WORLD Class Ships

capitalbarry

What do you all think ?As cruise lines continue to build larger and more innovative cruise ships, one cruise line is promising to make waves with an unprecedented number of new ships on order. However, it’s not just the number of cruise ships MSC Cruises has on order, it’s the ships that are turning heads.

worldclass-768x429.jpgSave

The 200,000 Gross Ton World Class Cruise Ships from MSC CruisesMSC Cruises has an order for four World class cruise ships that will carry nearly 7,000 passengers, more guests than any other cruise ship in the world. The 200,000 gross ton ships will be powered by LNG and have a new generation waste water treatment system. The ships will be built by STX France.

MSC Cruises’ World class cruise ships will each feature 2,760 staterooms and have a maximum occupancy of 6,850 passengers. The cruise ships will have a length of 1,083 ft. and beam of 154 ft.. The first World class cruise ship will go into service in 2022 with additional ships following in 2024, 2025, and 2026.

worldclass2-768x408.jpgSave

The aft part of the ships will be split similar to the Oasis class from Royal CaribbeanThe World Class’ futuristic “Y” shape structure will enable panoramic sea views and increase the proportion of balcony cabins. The ships’ G bow (vertically positioned at a 90 degree angle) has been designed to improve stability, hydrodynamics as well as to enhance guest comfort. Other guest-centric innovations include family-friendly villages, a panoramic aft, and a glass pool lounge.

Video of the World Class Cruise Ships from MSC Cruises:

Names, homeports, and itineraries for these groundbreaking new cruise ships will be announced in the future.

Photos of the World Class Cruise Ships from MSC Cruises

worldclass6.jpgSave

worldclass3-768x418.jpgSave

worldclass5-768x424.jpgSave

worldclass4-768x427.jpgSave

MSC Cruises is the number one cruise line in Europe, South America and South Africa, and sails year-round in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. The cruise line recently added a second cruise ship (MSC Seaside) in Miami.

Awesome...yet I wonder...where will these ships go?? Such a ship would overwhelm many of the current ports in the Caribbean and Med. I can only imagine 7,000 pax trying to disembark in Grand Cayman, etc. Let’s hope the ships will be so good that they become the destination.

Not impressed with another Meraviglia ship with a different skin! Seaside is proof that a ship can be over run by passenger numbers, these ships will be even worse.

RCI appear to have the right numbers with the Oasis class, a ship we have sailed on and looks and feels so much better this new breed of ship.

Too crowded for me, we are already reading about people setting their alarms at 0500 to get a chair close to the pool. While they are beautiful to look at they are getting less practical for the passengers that dole out the $$ to enjoy their cruises

Not impressed with another Meraviglia ship with a different skin! Seaside is proof that a ship can be over run by passenger numbers, these ships will be even worse.

RCI appear to have the right numbers with the Oasis class, a ship we have sailed on and looks and feels so much better this new breed of ship.

How is Seaside proof that a ship can be over run by passenger numbers? I just got off of the Seaside last week and cannot believe how empty it felt! It was probably one of the least crowded ships I have ever been on. Yes, the main pool area was crowded on sea days, but there were so many other places to find a chair including all along the promenade deck. I understand you may have a different perception, but in my opinion you are not even close to being accurate.

• Like 1

Try a Xmas cruise and the come back and tell me that there are not too many passengers for the size of the ship or that there are enough crew onboard!

We were on a spring break cruise and the ship was filled to capacity with many many children on board. I highly doubt the experience was that different. But, it seems like in the future you should avoid cruising during a holiday week on a mass market mega ship. Also, you'll be happy to hear that there are now plenty of crew onboard the Seaside.

• Like 1

Seaside has the same number of crew as they did at Xmas, kids were not an issue for us and never were at Xmas.

Passenger numbers for Seaside are higher than they should be, you nor anyone else will convince me otherwise, the same will be true of the ugly looking world class of ships.

At 154,000 tons Seaside is not a Mega ship.

Seaside has the same number of crew as they did at Xmas, kids were not an issue for us and never were at Xmas.

Passenger numbers for Seaside are higher than they should be, you nor anyone else will convince me otherwise, the same will be true of the ugly looking world class of ships.

At 154,000 tons Seaside is not a Mega ship.

I literally have no idea what you're even talking about. You say passenger numbers are higher than they should be based on what? Do you have a marine architecture or engineering degree? If you are so against MSC I really can't understand why you still even bother posting on this board. The Seaside is not overcrowded. For anyone booking in the future please rest assured the ship will be no more crowded than any other mainstream line mega ship. In fact, the NCL Breakaway class felt MUCH more crowded than the Seaside. As for the World Class ship it looks like a beautiful example of an engineering marvel.

I have every right to post on these boards just as you do, having already sailed six times with MSC with a Seventh a few weeks away I also have the right to criticise or praise MSC as I see fit to do so.

If as you claim Seaside is a mega ship explain why the dining rooms are smaller and hold less people as does the theatre, why are other main public areas such as the photo shop on the ship smaller than on the Fantasia class ?

Deck heights are lower on Seaside than other ships to accommodate the extra height of having 20 decks, cabins are narrower in order to get more of them In the ship with increased passenger numbers.

The world class design is almost as ugly as the current new build Aida ships.

I literally have no idea what you're even talking about. You say passenger numbers are higher than they should be based on what? Do you have a marine architecture or engineering degree? If you are so against MSC I really can't understand why you still even bother posting on this board. The Seaside is not overcrowded. For anyone booking in the future please rest assured the ship will be no more crowded than any other mainstream line mega ship. In fact, the NCL Breakaway class felt MUCH more crowded than the Seaside. As for the World Class ship it looks like a beautiful example of an engineering marvel.

Wait until Meraviglia gets to the USA, then you'll find out that these large MSC ships carry too many passengers for the space available.

Even in the Yacht Club there are too few sunbeds available for the number of YC guests, and the main open space , the shopping mall gets so crowded you can't physically move in it.

I know; been there, done that

Pete

I have every right to post on these boards just as you do, having already sailed six times with MSC with a Seventh a few weeks away I also have the right to criticise or praise MSC as I see fit to do so.

If as you claim Seaside is a mega ship explain why the dining rooms are smaller and hold less people as does the theatre, why are other main public areas such as the photo shop on the ship smaller than on the Fantasia class ?

Deck heights are lower on Seaside than other ships to accommodate the extra height of having 20 decks, cabins are narrower in order to get more of them In the ship with increased passenger numbers.

The world class design is almost as ugly as the current new build Aida ships.

If you were in the know about current trends in ship design, you would know that many cruise lines are moving toward smaller theaters with increased performances or in some cases one or two Broadway productions that are performed multiple times throughout a week long cruise. For example, Carnival's new Vista class ships has taken the main theater down from 3 decks to 2. The shows are now shorter and the number of shows has increased, just like MSC has done as well. NCL has also decreased the size of the theater significantly starting with the Breakaway class. These ships have a couple of headline shows that are performed multiple times a night for several consecutive nights. Lastly, RCCL has also decreased the size of their theaters significantly beginning with the Oasis class ships to do something very similar NCL has done. The cruise lines have realized that they can maximize space by creating a smaller venue with increased show capacity. I see nothing wrong with this as it makes sense to use each and every space on the ship as efficiently as possible.

NCL and Carnival have also decreased the size of their main dining rooms and increased the specialty restaurant venues. So, once again MSC is not doing anything out of the ordinary in this area either. I do think that MSC needs to re-think the French restaurant venue and re-brand it or market it better to attract more guests as it does take up a lot of real estate and certainly should be utilized.

Also, I am not sure if you understand the definition of a "mega ship", but a mega ship is generally a cruise ship carrying an excess of 3,000 passengers and at least 120,000 gross tonnes. Seaside of course exceeds both of these criteria.

As for deck heights of the Seaside, I have not noticed any differences from the Divina or any other cruise ship. If deck height is something that is negatively affecting your cruise, you may want to consider a land based vacation.

You are the first person that I have read that's not sailing in the YC that has claimed the ship is not overcrowded. I have not sailed yet but it's hard to believe with the numbers. At 154,000 GT, it is the same size as the RCCL Freedom class ships, which I have sailed 2 of them. The Seaside carries 600-700 more passengers and Royal doesn't have YC and Aurea eating up space. If you are not sailing with those experiences, I don't see how it is not overcrowded. The World Class ship looks like another example of MSC packing too many people for the size when compared to other similar ships.

Frederic ..." I see nothing wrong with this as it makes sense to use each and every space on the ship as efficiently as possible. "

So you would not argue against the use of the Deck 8 Buffet as a 3rd Dining room then ? as many others have done.

"As for deck heights of the Seaside, I have not noticed any differences from the Divina or any other cruise ship. If deck height is something that is negatively affecting your cruise, you may want to consider a land based vacation."

You are clearly one of the few people who has not noticed it, others as well as myself have mentioned it in their reviews and elsewhere on public sites. The ceiling height is lower than the other Five MSC ships we have sailed on including Divina and Presiosa.

Why should I consider a land based holiday just because you say so ?

Seaside is over crowded in terms of numbers of passengers to the size of the ship and again it appears you are the only one not to have noticed it!

As for not knowing about other ships one of my friends works at the shipyard where Seaside, Vista and a whole host of others have been built for Princess and Carnival, he also worked on Seaside and Vista as well as the current Costa ship so yes I do have information about the builds.

Just because a few of the other lines are making venues smaller does not mean it is the right way to go, a read of many of the reviews shows that.

TCNeal ... makes a valid point regarding passenger numbers and MSC are always packing in more people than they should, they are becoming the cruising industries equivalent of Irish airline Ryanair.

Frederic ..." I see nothing wrong with this as it makes sense to use each and every space on the ship as efficiently as possible. "

So you would not argue against the use of the Deck 8 Buffet as a 3rd Dining room then ? as many others have done.

"As for deck heights of the Seaside, I have not noticed any differences from the Divina or any other cruise ship. If deck height is something that is negatively affecting your cruise, you may want to consider a land based vacation."

You are clearly one of the few people who has not noticed it, others as well as myself have mentioned it in their reviews and elsewhere on public sites. The ceiling height is lower than the other Five MSC ships we have sailed on including Divina and Presiosa.

Why should I consider a land based holiday just because you say so ?

Seaside is over crowded in terms of numbers of passengers to the size of the ship and again it appears you are the only one not to have noticed it!

As for not knowing about other ships one of my friends works at the shipyard where Seaside, Vista and a whole host of others have been built for Princess and Carnival, he also worked on Seaside and Vista as well as the current Costa ship so yes I do have information about the builds.

Just because a few of the other lines are making venues smaller does not mean it is the right way to go, a read of many of the reviews shows that.

TCNeal ... makes a valid point regarding passenger numbers and MSC are always packing in more people than they should, they are becoming the cruising industries equivalent of Irish airline Ryanair.

If you think MSC and Ryanair or any other budget airline have anything in common (except maybe the reality of a good value) than you are sorely mistaken. Look around an MSC ship and you will notice that no expense has been spared with regards to design and quality of materials. MSC ships are some of the most beautiful ships in the world.

And it is important to notice what other lines are doing (and it is NOT just a few) because these lines are direct competitors of MSC. MSC is a business and businesses exist to generate a profit. Obviously, MSC does certain things differently than other lines which is good because it creates differences and varieties that we all enjoy when we cruise from one line to the other. However, MSC and other cruise lines are all using the same ship yards that build and design these ships. They have studied passenger flow and uses of space, for many years now and new industry trends are emerging that help cruise lines maximize their space which in turns allows them to generate more revenue.

I do think MSC can be more creative with another solution for the deck 8 buffet overflow. I have walked through at dinner time and think they did a very good job at making it look like a nice restaurant. However, as I said previously I do think they need to look at their French Bistro restaurant and perhaps chance the concept to allow for more dining in that area. I believe they can also offer some more complimentary food offerings in other places to help give guests more alternatives to the main dining room. They do have a buffet venue on deck 16 that they could easily turn into another venue in the evenings for dinner with perhaps a combination of waiter service and self service. So, it is not for lack of actual space but I think for now it is lack of a creative solution. NCL has come up with their solution and it works very well for them.

As for ceiling height, I must be reading different reviews as I have not yet encountered that complaint. Unless someone is abnormally tall, I am not sure how the height of a ceiling could have a negative effect on one's vacation. If you enjoy a high ceiling, the one in the atrium is about 5 decks high. Alternatively, step out on an open deck and the "ceiling" rises to almost 315,000 feet with a nice view of the stars.

No expense has been spared ?

You are having a laugh right ?

Then how come the so called Deck 9 side aft suites have the exact same poorly laid out cabin design with a lack of storage as the rest of the ship apart from the Aft Suites and YC cabins ?

They are ineffect a balcony cabin being sold as a suite because it has a longer balcony.

You clearly have an issue with anyone who has a different view of Seaside than you have.

Explain where I said that I have an issue with the ceiling height ? I was merely pointing out that the decks are lower in order to incorporate 20 decks, next you will be telling me that the ship is not shorter in length than the Fantasia class and that the Superstructure is not shorter in length due to the aft pool which also means smaller spaces.

No expense has been spared ?

You are having a laugh right ?

Then how come the so called Deck 9 side aft suites have the exact same poorly laid out cabin design with a lack of storage as the rest of the ship apart from the Aft Suites and YC cabins ?

They are ineffect a balcony cabin being sold as a suite because it has a longer balcony.

You clearly have an issue with anyone who has a different view of Seaside than you have.

Explain where I said that I have an issue with the ceiling height ? I was merely pointing out that the decks are lower in order to incorporate 20 decks, next you will be telling me that the ship is not shorter in length than the Fantasia class and that the Superstructure is not shorter in length due to the aft pool which also means smaller spaces.

I have no issues with those who have different viewpoints. I have mentioned several areas where I believe MSC can make improvements. But you make your viewpoints about crowds sound as if they are facts. I merely provided my own experiences so that others who read these boards can learn of an alternate viewpoint from someone like myself who has been on almost every major cruise line and the majority of the ship classes within each of them.

In any case, I wish you the best of times on your next cruise and if it is on the Seaside, I hope you can avoid hitting your head on the low ceilings! ;)