Decor in Dawn Venetian Dining Room

elruth

Just returned from a cruise on the Dawn. We have been on this ship a few times in the past and WOW, whoever decided to change the decor in the Venetian was really out to lunch. Everything is painted white and the brass lady who is at the front of the restaurant has a white painted toga on instead of the brass one she used to have. The WORST was what they did to the paintings. Now they put weird things in the paintings example...across the face of a lady in the painting a huge white blob of paint and a huge red blob of paint over the man's face. Others had a random stripe across the painting as if to obliterate a face. Very strange and odd. What were they thinking??

We were on the Dawn in January and we couldn't figure it out either. Why a nice picture has a blob of red paint splattered over it ???? The waiters really couldn't explain it so I guess there is a hidden meaning in there some ware.

We also found the new artwork quite odd and somewhat unappealing.

Overall, we like most of the changes they made when she was in drydock 2 years ago but as far as we're concerned the artwork ruins the new look of the Venetian.

We also preferred Perly Kings over the wine bar but overall, the changes were a nice improvement to the ship.

Our cruise in May will be our 11th sailing on the Dawn, so we have seen her since she was new, and through all her renovations, large and small. All are interesting and most make sense, but the Redo of the paintings in the Venetian are RIDICULOUS! Make absolutely no sense,....wish I had a clue what they were thinking...Picassoish!? Agh...for awful! They should either have left them alone....or replace them, IMHO!;p

• 10 months later...

I found it hilarious!!! Considering the vibe and decor of the rest of the ship, it looks like NCL is flipping the bird at having a "traditionally decorated" dining room. It reminded me of that scene in Tim Burton's Batman film (with Michael Keaton) where the Joker arrives at the museum and paints over works of art in flashy color while some nut music (by Prince!!) blared in the background.

It was like "this is what some people like but it's not quite what we're really about". AT least that was my perception. Anyway... I just went there for the food.