Split Walking Tour

Mura

This isn't actually NEW but newer passengers may not have seen this post.

I have booked a 3 hour walking tour in Split with a highly recommended agent per Trip Advisor. (The recommended guide was not available months ago because he was already leading a multi-day tour, but he will provide us with a replacement guide. And I supposed we can hope that the multi-day group cancels but I'm not counting on it!)

Right now we are 6 people but we have room for 1-2 more couples if there is interest. Prices are shown at the end of this message.

I should add that DH and I were in Split in the summer of 1977 and unofficially joined on to an English tour, but were quickly booted off! We didn't realize we were joining a private tour but the English attracted us! The guide who kicked us off recommended that we to "up there" to book our own tour, which we did, and it was wonderful. That tour was pretty much in central Split as I recall ... as I say, it was a while ago.

This tour description is:

The tour starts in front of the south wall of Diocletian’s Palace where you’ll see the full view of its scale and hear how and why the palace was built. You’ll explore the untouched basements, make your way to the central Peristyle square and visit what was originally Diocletian’s mausoleum and is nowadays the second oldest building structure in the world still used as a cathedral. Over 1,700 years old!

You’ll then continue to the north entrance known as the Golden Gate and leave the palace area and explore the medieval part known as the Old Town, walking the maze of cobbled streets & squares seeing the architectural era which features buildings from the Romanesque, Renaissance, Gothic and Succession period. The Synagogue is located in the center and you'll go inside and hear all about it's history dating back from the year 1510.

The tour finishes on the seaside promenade known as the Riva, giving you a great bearing of what you have covered so you can continue to explore on your own, do some shopping and indulge in the local cuisine.

Prices:

up to 4 people - 120 euros

up to 6 people - 150 euros

up to 8 people - 200 euros

up to 10 people - 250 euros

There are the optional 6 euro admissions per person into the substructures of Diocletian's Palace & 4 euros per person into the cathedral. There's no admission into the Synagogue although a donation is appreciated.

If you are interested in this tour, please email me either at

mura at speakeasy dot net

or

mkievman at nyc dot rr dot com.

Mura

I do know that, Lou ... and I thought that I had!! Obviously I'll have to correct that situation ...

And I just so advised someone yesterday who's on our cruise but posted a tour here ...

Oh well. Thanks for the head's up.

Mura

P.S. This is a very strange situation ... my post IS at the roll call, as is your comment, Lou! How weird is that?

Last fall, We walked into Center Split, by the old temple and found incredible tours being offered for half to a third of Mura’s posted rates. Town center is perhaps 400 meters from where the ship docks. Split is one locale where huge premiums are paid to internet advertisers.

Not saying Mura’s tour guides won’t do a good job, just for Split their is a huge premium for having someone hold your hand from the second you step off the ship. There are also multiple excursion companies waiting for you on the dock, with much lower prices, if you do like the hand holding.