Early dining question

mark316

Does anyone know what is the latest time you can arrive at your table for a 6 o’clock seating? We have an excursion booked that is scheduled to end at 530. We know we can go to the anytime that evening if needed. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know what is the latest time you can arrive at your table for a 6 o’clock seating? We have an excursion booked that is scheduled to end at 530. We know we can go to the anytime that evening if needed. Thanks in advance.

If you have a set early dining time, you can’t show up at YTD....just go to the buffet or order room service

I think the magic number is 20 minutes late?! Not sure though. Keep in mind they won't serve anyone at the table until everyone is there. If we know we'll be gone one evening, we tell the waiters and other table mates the night before so they know not to wait on us.

6:05 is about the latest that will be acceptable. You will be back before then, I'm almost 100% sure. Sounds like a ship's excursion...and they will get you back in plenty of time.

If you are in traditional seating, then be on time.

That is the golden question! Last week on Splendor there was a table of 8 who for the 545 sitting showed up at 6:30-6:45...just breezed on in..you could tell the waiter was not thrilled...he talked to the hostess and on the third night she went over and chatted with them...did NOT help..not sure why they didn’t send the Maitre D over to chat with them. Hubbies theory was that they figured I’d they showed up almost an hour late they wouldn’t have to wait for their food. Rude rude rude!

I think the magic number is 20 minutes late?! Not sure though. Keep in mind they won't serve anyone at the table until everyone is there. If we know we'll be gone one evening, we tell the waiters and other table mates the night before so they know not to wait on us.

Not always true. I was 30 minutes late twice(shower after beach excursion, lost track of time) on the Triumph in February 2017. The other four people at the table were already eating their entrees when I got there.

On the Dream this January, the first people at the table were able to order their appetizers before the other people got there.

We also tell our waiters if we will miss dinner.

What they said, and truth be told, if it's not elegant night, I would go in dressed as I was from the excursion (unless you are in bathing suit). But no, if you are late for assigned dining, you do not automatically get to be YTD.

And, as every one said, tell your wait staff the night before. We sat once waiting for 30 minutes for a family that didn't show up at all. They came early the next night to tell us that they hated sitting at our table, (we had folks who wouldn't speak English) they could, they just wouldn't. so the other couple left and choose to eat at the buffet. It turns out the reason that we waited for them was they were trying out the buffet that night. Now DH and I choose YTD, and offer to sit with other folks if there is a wait.

Thanks everyone, I guess the best thing to do is ask our waiter the day before. Would rather not eat at the buffet.

What they said, and truth be told, if it's not elegant night, I would go in dressed as I was from the excursion (unless you are in bathing suit). But no, if you are late for assigned dining, you do not automatically get to be YTD.

And, as every one said, tell your wait staff the night before. We sat once waiting for 30 minutes for a family that didn't show up at all. They came early the next night to tell us that they hated sitting at our table, (we had folks who wouldn't speak English) they could, they just wouldn't. so the other couple left and choose to eat at the buffet. It turns out the reason that we waited for them was they were trying out the buffet that night. Now DH and I choose YTD, and offer to sit with other folks if there is a wait.

Your wait team will only tell you it is fine and hope the Maitre will intercept you. The wait staff know should they say anything other than"it is fine", guests will pull their tips.

So let me get this straight....you are on an all day excursion in the Bahamian sun, getting back on the ship at say 6:15. Your first thought isn’t “let me go shower and grab dinner on the Lido deck or order room service”. Is your first thought “let me hustle over to the MDR”? Covered in sweat, dressed in a tank top and flip flops and gym shorts, you would go to the MDR. WOW [emoji849]

A 5:30 excursion return is plenty of time to make a 6 pm dinner. Just don't plan on a shower or anything, just go as you are.

It seems very unlikely that an excursion coming back that late would arrive even later.

I am sure the other diners at your table would appreciate the sweet smell of your lack of hygiene. But hey, you just gotta be there for feed time, right? [emoji849]

Perhaps being 30 minutes late for your seating is acceptable if your table just consists of your family. But if you are dining with others, it’s rude to keep them waiting more than 5 minutes.

Perhaps being 30 minutes late for your seating is acceptable if your table just consists of your family. But if you are dining with others, it’s rude to keep them waiting more than 5 minutes.

30 minutes late is really going to throw off the wait staff. If you assume that it takes 1.5 hours to eat in MDR, you are not leaving your table til 8 pm. The next seating is 8:15 - that doesn't give your staff any time for turning over the table and prepping for the next seating. Anything beyond 15 minutes makes it difficult for the staff and those that eat after you.

I also agree that a shower before dinner is appropriate when you have been in the sun, covered in sunscreen, salt water and sweat. I know you don't wish to eat in the buffet, but if you cannot meet these requirements of basic hygiene and manners, it is what should happen.

The other options are 1) eat in a specialty restaurant - plan a 7 pm or later reservations, if it is available on your ship 2) switch to YTD now or if not possible to the MDR upon boarding and request to be moved to that dining room.

OK so I am not condoning coming late I say more than 10 min you just go to the Buffet. .

However, in response to everyone saying that the other diners will be held up, I have never experienced this.

Late dinners or no shows have never effected me at my tables. After a 10 min wait they waiters just start service. And if the late comers show they get hurried and rushed service.(Which of course is rude to the wait staff).

Also, on some cruises the first night on the ship many people don't show to the main dining room. They go to specialty or buffet. I doubt they all tell the maitre D.