Tub or Shower?

Your statement Really don't want to put my fanny in that tub when I am not sure of its cleanliness. Especially whirlpool tubs.

So what about toilets seat either in your cabin or on the ship or off the ship If germ crazy they are worse

American hotels have been removing tubs for at least a decade, the concept of a public tub is just gross. New hotels are built with deluxe showers, tubs are a rarity. Cruise lines are removing tubs when they refurbish. New cruise lines, including Viking Ocean, are fitted with high end showers only, except for their top suites.

Homeowners have been yanking out jetted tubs for fifteen or twenty years, as they are a big nuisance to fill and clean. Whirl Away is the recommended cleaning product. Jetted tubs were replaced with soaking tubs. Now soaking tubs are being removed in favor of luxury showers.

Your statement Really don't want to put my fanny in that tub when I am not sure of its cleanliness. Especially whirlpool tubs.

So what about toilets seat either in your cabin or on the ship or off the ship If germ crazy they are worse

I have to use the toilet, but I don't have to use a tub.

A tub to enjoy a hot bath (ahhhh) followed by a shower.

I can’t see the concern, considering how long tubs have been around for. And I have stronger than average sense of caution regarding sanitation in general.

I do give the tub a rinse with shower before using it. Pools are another matter since they aren’t drained before use.

A tub is a major draw!

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
Emoji issue!!!!!

I'm not a germaphobe at all, but I won't use public pools or hot tubs if they allow little kids in them. Even swim diapers have been shown to leak. We vetoed several gyms at home because of this.

I'm not big into baths, so I generally don't use the tubs, though not for cleanliness reasons.

How I would love to soak in a nice hot bath---be it at home, in a hotel, or on a cruise. But I am no longer able to get down and (especially) back up again.

The hot tubs are too dangerous for me because of my heart, but I used to use them, and would again if the cardiologist said it was all right.

I love to use the hydrotherapy pools on the ships that have them, and the swimming pools, too.

Maybe I'm reckless, but I trust in my immune system to deal with the germs of life. Like the old saying goes---Ya gotta eat a pound of dirt before ya die!

I love you attitude, I too would love to use the tubs but don’t for the same reasons as yours. We do use the pools and hot tubs on the ships with no problems. I don’t think I’ve eaten my pound of dirt yet or ocean critters I can’t see while ocean swimming [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good idea. And it's small!

The drawer/shelf liner Vict0riann mentioned.... she uses as a tub mat...another poster said rubber shelf liner works in his RV shower.

Don't know if stewards have tub mats to lend.

Packing cubes I hear are very good but haven't tried them yet. Will have to get some!

Some of the ships have proper rubber mats for the tub if you're going to shower. The newer showers seem to be non-slip, but hotels can be risky. The mat I take with me is I think, Rubbermaid and comes in a roll for lining drawers. It looks like this:

a9498fe040fa19e931db687b2e1dac63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the ships have proper rubber mats for the tub if you're going to shower. The newer showers seem to be non-slip, but hotels can be risky. The mat I take with me is I think, Rubbermaid and comes in a roll for lining drawers. It looks like this:

a9498fe040fa19e931db687b2e1dac63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much...I know EXACTLY what it is now....have used it in drawers many times in the past....:)

Thanks very much...I know EXACTLY what it is now....have used it in drawers many times in the past....:)

I should have said, you do still have to be a bit careful - the stuff tends to float if the shower is running, and can move around more easily than a proper shower mat. Once you are standing on it it seems secure, but will float up again when you move your feet around!

Good idea. And it's small!

The drawer/shelf liner Vict0riann mentioned.... she uses as a tub mat...another poster said rubber shelf liner works in his RV shower.

Don't know if stewards have tub mats to lend.

Packing cubes I hear are very good but haven't tried them yet. Will have to get some!

Giant size zip locks work great for ladies und ies and such. Sok all placed flat in the zip lokc can be put into a drawer as is a d n no losing one sock if hey are all in the zip lock.

Good idea. And it's small! The drawer/shelf liner Vict0riann mentioned.... she uses as a tub mat...another poster said rubber shelf liner works in his RV shower. Don't know if stewards have tub mats to lend. Packing cubes I hear are very good but haven't tried them yet. Will have to get some!
Giatr wsize zip locks worfk great for ladies unies and suh. Socks all placed flat in the zip loc can be put into a drwser as is, right out of thrt suitcase. f a nd no losing one sock if they are all in the zip lock.

Good idea. And it's small! The drawer/shelf liner Vict0riann mentioned.... she uses as a tub mat...another poster said rubber shelf liner works in his RV shower. Don't know if stewards have tub mats to lend. Packing cubes I hear are very good but haven't tried them yet. Will have to get some!
Large size zip locks work great for ladies un dies and such. Socks all placed flat in the zip lock can be put into a drawser as is, a nd no losing one sock f it hey are all in the zip lock.

I should have said, you do still have to be a bit careful - the stuff tends to float if the shower is running, and can move around more easily than a proper shower mat. Once you are standing on it it seems secure, but will float up again when you move your feet around!

Okay thanks for the tip!

A few years ago my late husband & I were in a cabin with a whirlpool tub, and he decided he wanted a whirlpool bath. Filled up the tub about 1/2 way, turned on the jets and lots of dark brown water squirted out & a couple of plugs of ????. We called the front desk immediately; they sent a maintenance person who worked on it for several hours. By that time he wasn't interested any more. Needless to say we never tried a bath again in any tubs other than our own. (Sorry about the descriptions,)

I used to be a bit of a germophobe, but I have changed. I love tubs. I love hot baths! Especially on vacation. (I worked as a hotel maid one summer a long time ago, but I've gotten over it. Ha.)

I also love pools that are fresh water. Not so much the salt water on HAL.

My kids have worked as lifeguards and been on swim teams. For three summers running, we were at the local pool for three hours a day. We did get ill one summer with cryptosporidiosis when it was rampant in public pools in our area that year. And I blame that on having a four-year-old because he got it first, and even though I washed, washed, washed my hands and bleached the bathroom and wiped all the knobs, I got it too. (My other two boys did not.)

But we live dangerously now. On RCI on our last cruise, we spent a fair amount of time in their hot tubs and pools. But salt water makes me itch, plus it's a cold cruise for us so I doubt I'll be using either of those on our upcoming Volendam cruise. But if my stateroom hasn't been renovated (which I don't believe it has), I will be taking bubble baths. Calgon, take me away!

~Robin

I used to be a bit of a germophobe, but I have changed. I love tubs. I love hot baths! Especially on vacation. (I worked as a hotel maid one summer a long time ago, but I've gotten over it. Ha.)

I also love pools that are fresh water. Not so much the salt water on HAL.

My kids have worked as lifeguards and been on swim teams. For three summers running, we were at the local pool for three hours a day. We did get ill one summer with cryptosporidiosis when it was rampant in public pools in our area that year. And I blame that on having a four-year-old because he got it first, and even though I washed, washed, washed my hands and bleached the bathroom and wiped all the knobs, I got it too. (My other two boys did not.)

But we live dangerously now. On RCI on our last cruise, we spent a fair amount of time in their hot tubs and pools. But salt water makes me itch, plus it's a cold cruise for us so I doubt I'll be using either of those on our upcoming Volendam cruise. But if my stateroom hasn't been renovated (which I don't believe it has), I will be taking bubble baths. Calgon, take me away!

~Robin

Volendam has a retracrtale roof over Lido pool hat they open and close per the weather. Don't rule out the chance that you may be able to swim. :)

If they are continuing to do that, it would be good news! Thanks!

Definitely they do. I've seen the mats on every cruise since before I care to say (Ok, the 1980's). They are usually under the sink area or on top of the tub.

My vote - BATH. Big time. We actually changed cabins from a shower only (which I thought would be nicer shower wise) to bath. DH looked at me a few months ago and said "I know you like your baths".

They do bleach and clean them. The bathtubs are safe IMO. And I do use them on a regular basis :)

Definitely they do. I've seen the mats on every cruise since before I care to say (Ok, the 1980's). They are usually under the sink area or on top of the tub.

My vote - BATH. Big time. We actually changed cabins from a shower only (which I thought would be nicer shower wise) to bath. DH looked at me a few months ago and said "I know you like your baths".

They do bleach and clean them. The bathtubs are safe IMO. And I do use them on a regular basis :)

That is great to know Jacqui/Kazu......I know some folks prefer them, and I am glad to know from your experience that they are clean to use. I have never been a bath person. Only a shower person. If I were to take a bath, it would be at home. I just don't find them very comfortable, but maybe I have never had the privilege of a really luxurious bath! Have only soaked in a tub for a medical reason, or taken one when no shower was available. Have always questioned the cleanliness of the tubs in hotels/ships. I will take yours and other experienced cruisers' opinions as a good indication that HAL's bathtubs are okay.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

A few years ago my late husband & I were in a cabin with a whirlpool tub, and he decided he wanted a whirlpool bath. Filled up the tub about 1/2 way, turned on the jets and lots of dark brown water squirted out & a couple of plugs of ????. We called the front desk immediately; they sent a maintenance person who worked on it for several hours. By that time he wasn't interested any more. Needless to say we never tried a bath again in any tubs other than our own. (Sorry about the descriptions,)

Yes, I have had an experience similar to this many many years ago in a hotel. Kind of cured me for a LONNNNGGGG time. Been wary ever since.

However, Kazu and several others say they have good experiences on HAL, which is good to hear for bath lovers.

Well, I always book insides on S Class and R Class ships because I'm only 5' tall. The older ships have the European-style tubs with very high sides. It's only the insides that have the showers....OK, some of NSs and now some of the forward OVs too. Anyway, I'm really afraid of taking a tumble while getting into or out of those tubs, particularly if the sea is rough. But that's just me.

I have personally sen and s melled the scent of bleach That steward runs through the tube jets on turn around day. afer seing it the firs time ,Ii now pay atten tion when I return to the cabin if we have been out and I take a 'sniff to be sure I smell bleacheach. I have never NOT since I realized the routine of turnaround day. HAL keeps those tubs CLean.

I have personally sen and s melled the scent of bleach That steward runs through the tube jets on turn around day. afer seing it the firs time ,Ii now pay atten tion when I return to the cabin if we have been out and I take a 'sniff to be sure I smell bleacheach. I have never NOT since I realized the routine of turnaround day. HAL keeps those tubs CLean.

This is VERY good to know for HAL cruisers that love tub baths.