Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I was really astonished by how nice Gunnar was to his model -- it made me not-hate him. He's usually so arrogant and obnoxious that it took me completely by surprise when he acted like a really nice person.

Venn, on the other hand...that was almost as bad as season 3 when Jeffrey made Angela's mother cry. Did anyone else think Tim's comments to the designer leaving about his good character were an indirect criticism of Venn?

I was really astonished by how nice Gunnar was to his model -- it made me not-hate him. He's usually so arrogant and obnoxious that it took me completely by surprise when he acted like a really nice person.

Venn, on the other hand...that was almost as bad as season 3 when Jeffrey made Angela's mother cry. Did anyone else think Tim's comments to the designer leaving about his good character were an indirect criticism of Venn?

I noticed that, and remember thinking that he's never done that before when saying goodbye.....I didn't think about it at the time but it would make sense that it was directed at Venn. Although Tim is usually pretty direct so it would surprise me for him to be that subtle. Remember season 8, when he told the designers on Gretchen's team that he couldn't believe they let her railroad them into.....what the heck was it she did that got him so upset? I can recall him being really upset over what happened but can't remember the details.

Wasn't that something, Gunnar being so nice and approachable. Maybe they edited the mean part a few episodes prior...or the opposite, maybe they edited him to be nicer?

Ven was a big surprise to me. The first 2 shows I really thought he would be the standout, now not so sure. He was nowhere near as bad as Jeffrey, though. Jeffrey was downright mean because he didn't like his competitor, so he took it out on her mother. He also didn't like designing for plus size. Why he made it through that competition I'll never know, his dress was worse than a sack dress, not nearly as complimentary as Ven's dress. And that's stretching the thought on fashion.

I'm on the cusp of plus size (I don't look at the size tag, I can wear a size 12 all the way to 2X, depending on the clothing designer). Michael Kors is a great designer for plus sizes, he really understands a woman's body. One of the few designers who doesn't make the armholes large enough for the whole side of your bra to show if the piece is sleeveless. So, seeing that the average woman is a size 14 in America, it would serve people up and coming to get to know "plus" sized women and petite women and...realistic women who are slender. Very few women are 6 ft tall that weigh less than 120 lbs. Michael Kors and his team are smart, they make clothing and accessories for everyone.

My sister is a sewer, has taken many classes in fit and tailoring. She says that clothing manufacturers are lazy about sizing. Patterns go up in measurement incrementally with size. Which makes sense until you get to the armholes or sleeve length. I've seen many plus sized women with a jacket or shirt that fits them, but the sleeves are way too long. It makes the look sloppy and oversized, just because we weigh a few more pounds doesn't mean we have gorilla arm! I've taken apart the side seam and shoulder seam on quite a few tops to reduce the armhole, so my bra isn't hanging out.

Ven and the other designers would do themselves a huge favor by learning this and working with real people. There is a huge market out there for larger bodies, not all of us, even if we can fit into some size 12/14 pants are built with small frame bodies to accommodate slim fitting tops. For the fashion show runway...yes, for the real world...no. They need to be up to the challenge for both.

I loved the winning dress this week, finally something with style and an edge to it.

I'm not a Jeffrey apologist by any means, but I still think he had (and has) more talent than most of the contestants over the past couple of seasons. I'm sure his comments were edited for maximum drama. I doubt they were any worse than Venn's in terms of content. Jeffrey just tends to deliver things in a more "in your face" way. But in the end, their viewpoints are equally distasteful to me. :cool:

Also, I think Jeffrey's model was more plus-size than the one Venn had:

Jeffrey's "real" model: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/174/darlenekeslarrunway0vy4.png/sr=1

Venn's "real" model: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-10/rate-the-runway/episode-6#id=10

Venn's top is just baaaad.

I'm really liking Dmitri's designs. Christopher didn't get much love, but I thought his dress was well done for the person he had too.

I'm on the cusp of plus size (I don't look at the size tag, I can wear a size 12 all the way to 2X, depending on the clothing designer). Michael Kors is a great designer for plus sizes, he really understands a woman's body. One of the few designers who doesn't make the armholes large enough for the whole side of your bra to show if the piece is sleeveless. So, seeing that the average woman is a size 14 in America, it would serve people up and coming to get to know "plus" sized women and petite women and...realistic women who are slender. Very few women are 6 ft tall that weigh less than 120 lbs. Michael Kors and his team are smart, they make clothing and accessories for everyone.

My sister is a sewer, has taken many classes in fit and tailoring. She says that clothing manufacturers are lazy about sizing. Patterns go up in measurement incrementally with size. Which makes sense until you get to the armholes or sleeve length. I've seen many plus sized women with a jacket or shirt that fits them, but the sleeves are way too long. It makes the look sloppy and oversized, just because we weigh a few more pounds doesn't mean we have gorilla arm! I've taken apart the side seam and shoulder seam on quite a few tops to reduce the armhole, so my bra isn't hanging out.

Ven and the other designers would do themselves a huge favor by learning this and working with real people. There is a huge market out there for larger bodies, not all of us, even if we can fit into some size 12/14 pants are built with small frame bodies to accommodate slim fitting tops. For the fashion show runway...yes, for the real world...no. They need to be up to the challenge for both.

I loved the winning dress this week, finally something with style and an edge to it.

I am so glad you mentioned this... like you, I range from a size 12 (blouses and jackets) to about 2x (Zumba pants) as well. I have very large hips, in the 44-45 range but my bust-line is barely 40. My waist is comparatively small, about 30 inches. The hardest thing for me to fit into is a sheath dress, for the reason you say. If it fits in the hips, it is big around the bra area on the sides. It is too bad because I like sheath-and-jacket suits... they are great for summer so that I can drive from work without the jacket and not be too hot.

Pants, especially now with the low waist being in style, are almost impossible to find. Sure, as Stacy and Clinton always say, I can take things to a tailor and I have a good one here, but that can be time consuming and expensive. Plus, in spite of being average height at 5'5", my legs are short... about a 28" inseam, so I sometimes have to buy petite!

Thanks for the tip about MK.... I've never tried on his clothes. I am supposed to head down to the Albany area tomorrow to meet a friend, maybe we can go to the outlet stores in Lee, MA where they have an MK shop.

Edited by vjmatty
Bad spelling errors!

I remember both my daughter and I being astounded that Jeffrey never got kicked off the show. Then, when he won I think she tossed a throw pillow at the TV. She no longer watches the show, I am hopelessly addicted. At least I don't watch many of the others, like housewives or big brothers or survivors or teen moms, etc... and especially not Honey Boo Boo, I do draw the line somewhere :p

I don't care which one had the most "plus" sized model, they were both real people who didn't deserve to be treated the way they were treated. Jeffreys rudeness was just more personal than Vens.

Edited by Happy ks
sp

I agree with everyone's comments about the make-over show. Elena and Gunnar were quite nice to their clients -- which probably shows they actually work with clients. I bet Ven hasn't. He mentioned winning all those awards in college but I don't recall him talking about doing anything else.

Nevertheless, his attitude was unforgivable. A couple of the other ladies were similar in size and their designers didn't bitch and moan. And that top was HORRIBLE. That shine? Those sleeves? It all just bunched her up instead of making her sleek. He was my early favorite. No longer.

I truly think they are "hiding" Dmitry. He's solid every time. And agree about Christopher's outfit not getting enough love. It could be due to her whipping off that jacket so fast. I was hoping to see the dress with jacket on "rate the runway," but no luck.

As a plus size myself, I am always irritated by PR designers griping about dressing women other than models. Ggggrrrrrr. When you look at plus clothes, it's obvious most designers in that arena hate what they do. The last things I want are ruffles and sequins, thank you very much.

I believe there is a HUGE opportunity in the plus market. As it is, I patronize over-priced boutiques who sell what I call "forgiving clothes" that usually just come in 3 or 4 sizes to cover everyone. No ruffles or sequins there. Just plus size price tags. ha ha

I'm not a Jeffrey apologist by any means, but I still think he had (and has) more talent than most of the contestants over the past couple of seasons. I'm sure his comments were edited for maximum drama. I doubt they were any worse than Venn's in terms of content. Jeffrey just tends to deliver things in a more "in your face" way. But in the end, their viewpoints are equally distasteful to me. :cool:

Also, I think Jeffrey's model was more plus-size than the one Venn had:

Jeffrey's "real" model: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/174/darlenekeslarrunway0vy4.png/sr=1

Venn's "real" model: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-10/rate-the-runway/episode-6#id=10

Venn's top is just bad

I'm really liking Dmitri's designs. Christopher didn't get much love, but I thought his dress was well done for the person he had too.

I agree about the armholes! Also what's up with the necklines that are so wide they fall off your shoulders? I've also noticed the very long sleeves and just end up rolling them up. There's no reason for this if they use the correct grading rules (the amount a garment should grow between sizes) There comes a point where arms and shoulders are just NOT going to grow even if you are a size 4X. Just laziness in my opinion, on the part of the manufacturer. I've worked in the garment center all my life and none of the companies I worked for would stand for this, nor would their customers!

Christopher always manages a pretty garment, I think he's in this to the end. Ven really disappointed me. He didn't even try to make her feel/look good. I was glad he wasn't eliminated but I wouldn't have been upset if he was. Gunnar was very likeable this episode and showed a very caring attitude.

I love this show!

First, a link to the Lord & Taylor collection in case, like me, you wanted more visuals:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/CMS/PRDress_Dress.cfm

I was happy to see dresses from Nick and Gordana in the collection. I still lust after Nick's gown inspired by water in the gutter (!) and always felt like this show did not do Gordana justice. I did not like Chris March's gown on the manikin (he is another fave of mine) but liked it a bit better on the model. Not wild about those sleeves, though.

Well, now they have made up for the two runaway designers. One retread (now gone again -- aren't they always?) and one "no loser" episode.

I still think they must be hiding Dmitry. He should have won!!!!!!! IMHO.

Thanks for posting the L&T link. I really love Mondo's dress. Anyone else think Uli's dress was so completely different from her typical "look" when she was on the show?

I had mixed feelings about the "favorite" dresses during judging this week. I agree they might be hiding one or two folks for now.....

Christopher's winning gown is very pretty, I really think one of the prettiest in the entire L & T collection. But by having that huge cutaway in the back it's impossible to wear a bra with it. I'll pass. Wouldn't it be nice if they had to send their models down the runway wearing appropriate undergarments? If the undergarments show - back to the drawing board.

It was one of the better weeks, but I think if anyone should go it should have been Alicia more than Gunnar.

I still think we need more edge to the designs. This just isn't like seasons of the past. Elena is the only one who goes a little avant garde, but I'm not crazy for her designs with the huge shoulders. This week, she did oversized butt instead.

Edited by Happy ks
my computer is changing words for me

I agree...along with Melissa and either Fabio or Dmirty.

I agree! Its funny, at the very beginning of the season we all had Venn on our lists-seems like hes lost favor with the audience after that "plus size" fiasco. Ahhhh Venn a size 14 is not a plus size they are the national average size!

I agree! Its funny, at the very beginning of the season we all had Venn on our lists-seems like hes lost favor with the audience after that "plus size" fiasco. Ahhhh Venn a size 14 is not a plus size they are the national average size!

haha...I know, he did his self no favors during that challenge. Actually, I haven't really cared for his styles from the beginning (matter of personal taste only) but, he does tailor well.

I think Christopher is going to make it to the end. maybe not win it all but definitely be at fashion week.

They seem a lot closer than usual in ability. I am leaning towards Dmitry. Can't recall him doing anything wrong. Don't discount Sonjia. Her meltdown this week was because she is so particular. I hold hope for Ven, but he needs to show some versatility. I don't care for Alicia's style, but she does have a POV that I believe there is a market for.

How come the judges didn't talk about the side boobage with Melissa's dress? I thought that was rather eye-popping.:eek:

Yes, agreed with who should of gone home...thought she should of gone home last week. She seemed like such a sweet person though...guess that doesnt make for good drama.

The top 3 I also agreed were the clear winners. Didn't think ven & group did that bad of a job. I would wear Melissas jacket.

For the first time hated Dmitry outfit.

Was surprised to see in one of those blurbs they put in the corner as you are watching that elana is the top fan favorite? Her attitude makes her one of my least favorite. I think she may go home next.

I think the only problem with Venns group was the fabric choice fopr the tops. They should have (and could afford) a really lux fabric like maybe cashmere for the tops. I LIKED his 2nd skirt I thought it went well with the rest of their collection. Loved Gunnars dresses, glad he was saved last week. Im tired of Elana but I guess she brings the only drama so they will keep her. HATED her coat, it did look cheap. Again Christopher did a great job as well.

I think the only problem with Venns group was the fabric choice fopr the tops. They should have (and could afford) a really lux fabric like maybe cashmere for the tops. I LIKED his 2nd skirt I thought it went well with the rest of their collection. Loved Gunnars dresses, glad he was saved last week. Im tired of Elana but I guess she brings the only drama so they will keep her. HATED her coat, it did look cheap. Again Christopher did a great job as well.

Yep, you are right....their fabric choice wasn't the best.