Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Just watched the runway show -- best yet, by a long shot -- in my opinion. I liked everybody's outfit -- well, maybe not Justin's, and Dom's was my least favorite :(

Unfortunately, for Miranda, I think Alexander's plaid pants, and the top, too, beat out hers, even though she chose the fabric first...

And I think Alexandria made even those colossally ugly gladiator shoes look good.

I would say that the idea of being inspired by shoes was a winner! No surprise there, of course. ;)

I was trying to explain to DH why women love shoes so much..... I said because they always look good no matter how much weight you've put on or what body shape you are! He still doesn't get it :rolleyes:

I really hated Dom's look also..... I thought it was too literal and matchy, and I tend to be guilty of being too matchy myself! I think she should have picked one color, maybe the turquoise or the red, and gone with that. As a Zumba instructor I have experience in "dressing like Skittles" so maybe I'm not being fair. ;)

I didn't like any of the outfits tonight. Helen's (the winner) must have looked far better on the runway than it did on TV. Justin's and Ken's were semi OK. Only.

Most interesting thing to me: When Miranda came in to the group after being auf'd NO ONE came to her. She crawled across legs to go to Kate. What's up with that?

I thought it was strange that all three top looks were black....and I agree that Helen's wasn't all that, though I did like Ken and Alexandra's looks.

To me the winning outfit this week was a short version (in black) of what Gwyneth Paltro wore to the Oscars 2 years ago (in white and long). It had the same type of cape with those cup holder shoulders.

JMO but that is what I thought of when the black outfit walked down the runway.

gwyneth-paltrow-is-jewish-f-96097_zps40a9e962.jpg

To me the winning outfit this week was a short version (in black) of what Gwyneth Paltro wore to the Oscars 2 years ago (in white and long). It had the same type of cape with those cup holder shoulders.

JMO but that is what I thought of when the black outfit walked down the runway.

gwyneth-paltrow-is-jewish-f-96097_zps40a9e962.jpg

Yep, we all know there's nothing new under the sun -- sometimes the judges point that out (and criticize) and sometimes not...

I presume you mean this gown? Oscars 2012. It is lovely, isn't it?

Gwyneth-Paltrow-oscar-2012-lgn.jpg

Yep, we all know there's nothing new under the sun -- sometimes the judges point that out (and criticize) and sometimes not...

I presume you mean this gown? Oscars 2012. It is lovely, isn't it?

Gwyneth-Paltrow-oscar-2012-lgn.jpg

Yes that is the one - I don't know why my pictured disappeared.

According to this article, tomorrow is the Project Runway Show at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. I hope the pictures are posted (like last time) although I'm not sure any of this season's designers have a "look" that I could identify.

I think I could probably pick out a collection from Helen and possibly from Braden or Kate.

.....if there are any "poopy pants" we will know it's Alexandria. ;)

According to this article, tomorrow is the Project Runway Show at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. I hope the pictures are posted (like last time) although I'm not sure any of this season's designers have a "look" that I could identify.

The article you linked to describes last season's Project Runway (see below) -- the "Teams" season. It does not describe this season's competition. I think this is very strange, considering the top of the page clearly shows that designers' Spring 2014 collections are being shown.

Seems strange to think the writers posted the wrong description...

From the website:

There is no “I” in “TEAM” but there is in “FASHION!” Project Runway’s Season 11 returns with a twist that throws 16 eager designers into a panic when they discover they will be participating in the series’ first-ever TEAMS EDITION. This season, the controversial “team challenges” are taken to a whole new level when the designers must work together for every challenge while ensuring their own garments stand out on the runway to host and judge Heidi Klum, Marie Claire’s Fashion Director Nina Garcia and featured judge, award-winning fashion designer Zac Posen. The game-changing new element will push designers to work collaboratively but who will be a team player and who will throw their teammates under the bus? Tim Gunn, will, once again, serve as the mentor to the designers, as they sew their way to New York Fashion Week at Lincoln Center where Michael Kors will serve as the finale guest judge. - See more at: http://www.mbfashionweek.com/designers/project_runway#sthash.2zZJ7AzV.dpuf

The article you linked to describes last season's Project Runway (see below) -- the "Teams" season. It does not describe this season's competition. I think this is very strange, considering the top of the page clearly shows that designers' Spring 2014 collections are being shown.

Seems strange to think the writers posted the wrong description...

From the website:

There is no “I” in “TEAM” but there is in “FASHION!” Project Runway’s Season 11 returns with a twist that throws 16 eager designers into a panic when they discover they will be participating in the series’ first-ever TEAMS EDITION. This season, the controversial “team challenges” are taken to a whole new level when the designers must work together for every challenge while ensuring their own garments stand out on the runway to host and judge Heidi Klum, Marie Claire’s Fashion Director Nina Garcia and featured judge, award-winning fashion designer Zac Posen. The game-changing new element will push designers to work collaboratively but who will be a team player and who will throw their teammates under the bus? Tim Gunn, will, once again, serve as the mentor to the designers, as they sew their way to New York Fashion Week at Lincoln Center where Michael Kors will serve as the finale guest judge. - See more at: http://www.mbfashionweek.com/designers/project_runway#sthash.2zZJ7AzV.dpuf

I noticed that and figured that PR just have not updated the information. I'm guessing that StyleList asks for a write-up from each of the people showing at Fashion Week.

As I haven't seen women showing off their bodies at a gym since the disco 80s (when you could later wear the same Danskins to do the Hustle), this challenge felt surreal to me. In my part of the world at least, women want to show how serious they are about fitness and are more likely to wear regular gym shorts topped by an old, sleeveless sweatshirt over a sports bra or something similar.

Most the outfits seems more suited to speed ice skaters or something similar. They would get stares at the gym -- and not of admiration.

No problem with the winner/top looks. I might have sent home Alexandria over that other woman (whose name I don't remember which could explain the choice), but whatever.

This is the third time Heidi has gone for a program full of free publicity for one of her lines. Yawn.

As I haven't seen women showing off their bodies at a gym since the disco 80s (when you could later wear the same Danskins to do the Hustle), this challenge felt surreal to me. In my part of the world at least, women want to show how serious they are about fitness and are more likely to wear regular gym shorts topped by an old, sleeveless sweatshirt over a sports bra or something similar.

Most the outfits seems more suited to speed ice skaters or something similar. They would get stares at the gym -- and not of admiration.

No problem with the winner/top looks. I might have sent home Alexandria over that other woman (whose name I don't remember which could explain the choice), but whatever.

This is the third time Heidi has gone for a program full of free publicity for one of her lines. Yawn.

This was definitely my least favorite episode of this season. Maybe the gyms where Heidi hangs out are more into stylish than functional.

I did not like Alexandria's "poopy pants" or the pockets or the hole-y top but Heidi really liked it, so I guess that's why she stayed.

This was definitely my least favorite episode of this season. Maybe the gyms where Heidi hangs out are more into stylish than functional.

I did not like Alexandria's "poopy pants" or the pockets or the hole-y top but Heidi really liked it, so I guess that's why she stayed.

I liked the holey top but only because it made me think of the claw slash of a dino raptors. I have big thing for dinos.:D

I was disappointed with tonight's results. There were a couple of "safe" ones that I thought were awful.

I agree! Also I cant understand why Heidi keeps sticking up for Ken, he has no talent and he's not a nice person; his attitude will get him nowhere in the garment industry. She also seems to not like Kate who I think is one of the most talented of the bunch. I was sorry to see the loser go.

I also didn't like that they sent them back to the workroom. If they didn't understand the challenge they should be in the bottom period. In real life if you don't understand what your customer wants you lose the customer-no do-overs in real life!

Kate saved Ken! I didn't like it, but it was better than the nightgown he first sent out.

Kate makes things that are very wearable, perhaps that's what keeps her from winning more. If Heidi wants "poopy pants" to win, Kate's aesthetic will never top the mark for Heidi. I think her things are elegant and well made.

Kate saved Ken! I didn't like it, but it was better than the nightgown he first sent out.

Kate makes things that are very wearable, perhaps that's what keeps her from winning more. If Heidi wants "poopy pants" to win, Kate's aesthetic will never top the mark for Heidi. I think her things are elegant and well made.

I think she should be the winner. Yes her dress was a little too poofy at the waist-and not the first time Ive noticed this-but still that dress was adorable and fashion forward.

As a lifelong Southerner I found this whole challenge very condescending. First of all "modern Southern woman" says absolutely nothing. The South is very diverse in its women and their styles. No wonder designers didn't "understand the challenge." Jeez.

Second... plaid?!? One only sees plaid on the uniform skirts of private school girls and the golfing pants of men, and the latter are almost exclusively madras and gently poked fun at ("Bless his heart.")

I hate this attitude that the South is different/behind in fashion. We read the same magazines, watch the same shows. Whenever a locally-owned store is bought out by chains, the quality it carries go down and so does business. It happens time after time. When Lord & Taylor opened here, management purposely stocked with less stylish and cheaper clothes for the "Southern woman," and it closed. Why pay their prices when Target is just as fashionable?

It's no wonder everyone I know shops almost exclusively at locally-owned boutiques. That's where the cool clothes are. Because their owners know "we" want the same types of clothes they are wearing in NYC, LA, etc.

Enough with the ranting.

I thought the winning look was awesome. But would Belks customers buy it? Doubtful. It's a "one time" type of dress ( as in extremely memorable) but not right for most special occasions. Not to mention it's plaid. It would be good for cruising, I guess -- never the same crowd twice.

Frankly, Ken's original gown would be a much stronger seller -- it was forgiving in it's construction, so different body type size 8's could all wear it; the color was good; and you could accessorize it up or down. Plus easy and inexpensive to manufacture -- no fabric waste due to matching plaids.

I doubt Brandon's dress makes it to the Belks selling floor remotely as is. Dom's has a better chance.

As a lifelong Southerner I found this whole challenge very condescending. First of all "modern Southern woman" says absolutely nothing. The South is very diverse in its women and their styles. No wonder designers didn't "understand the challenge." Jeez.

Second... plaid?!? One only sees plaid on the uniform skirts of private school girls and the golfing pants of men, and the latter are almost exclusively madras and gently poked fun at ("Bless his heart.")

I hate this attitude that the South is different/behind in fashion. We read the same magazines, watch the same shows. Whenever a locally-owned store is bought out by chains, the quality it carries go down and so does business. It happens time after time. When Lord & Taylor opened here, management purposely stocked with less stylish and cheaper clothes for the "Southern woman," and it closed. Why pay their prices when Target is just as fashionable?

It's no wonder everyone I know shops almost exclusively at locally-owned boutiques. That's where the cool clothes are. Because their owners know "we" want the same types of clothes they are wearing in NYC, LA, etc.

Enough with the ranting.

I thought the winning look was awesome. But would Belks customers buy it? Doubtful. It's a "one time" type of dress ( as in extremely memorable) but not right for most special occasions. Not to mention it's plaid. It would be good for cruising, I guess -- never the same crowd twice.

Frankly, Ken's original gown would be a much stronger seller -- it was forgiving in it's construction, so different body type size 8's could all wear it; the color was good; and you could accessorize it up or down. Plus easy and inexpensive to manufacture -- no fabric waste due to matching plaids.

I doubt Brandon's dress makes it to the Belks selling floor remotely as is. Dom's has a better chance.

Agree with the southern woman comment!!!:rolleyes: I believe they are basing it on Kyra Sedgwick's fake accent from The Closer and other Hollywood condescension! Belk in my area is equal to JCPenney, so I don't know why they're acting like it's Neiman Marcus!

Kate does need to play up tiny waistlines more than she does. I wish I had one, but if I did I'd want to show it off!:D

Although I can't stand his attitude, I actually liked Ken's original dress (did not care much for #2). It wasn't really new or different enough for the judges, but it looked like it would be an easy dress to wear and I liked the way it flowed.

I thought it was funny that Ken went on about the others not knowing anything about a southern woman but then ending in the bottom three.

Looks like he is going to have another meltdown next week.

Although I can't stand his attitude, I actually liked Ken's original dress (did not care much for #2). It wasn't really new or different enough for the judges, but it looked like it would be an easy dress to wear and I liked the way it flowed.

I thought it was funny that Ken went on about the others not knowing anything about a southern woman but then ending in the bottom three.

Looks like he is going to have another meltdown next week.

It's the judges who don't know much about the Southern woman... or Belks, for that matter. hahaha

Yeah, this "Modern Southern Woman" challenge threw me, too. I concluded that if the winning look, the other top looks or even the "safe" looks were considered what the modern southern woman was wearing, then I am apparently not a modern southern woman at all! And yet I am a modern southern woman, inasmuch as I have been living in the south for more than 20 years, and I certainly live in a modern world.

But then, I think I figured it out -- I am not a "young" southern woman, and I think that was the key to this challenge. I think though the term "modern" was used in the challenge, the judges were really looking for "young." I believe most of the designers and the judges have a completely fictional idea of what the "southern" esthetic is -- I think they were thinking "cowboy", "country" or possibly "southwest", considering they were so wowed by the plaids. And I can tell you, much as I don't appreciate Ken's haughty attitude, I was right there with him, rolling my eyes, too, when everybody glommed onto the plaid thing as being somehow "southern," and worse yet "modern!" Well, at least this is my perspective from my home in suburban Atlanta -- maybe rural Mississippi is different...

I think the style the judges were looking for was definitely that of a very young customer -- such as the reader of Marie Claire might be -- a 20-something, maybe -- really even a teenager -- and of course, one with $$$.

But the problem is, I don't think those are the southerners who shop at Belk! I have found time and again that Belk is way too "madame" (as they called Jeremy's style) for me, and I will be 60 in April!

I have lived in New England, the midwest, California, and now Georgia. I do believe there is a southern esthetic, and I think Jeremy's outfit captured it. No, it was not trendy or young -- but it was strong, feminine, pretty, conservative, flattering, colorful, timeless, practical. This is what I think is the southern woman's esthetic.

I believe Southern women are too practical to buy trendy items that will be out in a season, too strong to be overly frilly and silly, too self confident to wear painted-on styles or show a lot of skin, and too feminine to be frumpy, ever! But again, this is, to me, the epitome of the mature modern southern woman, not the "girl' who is spending Daddy's money experimenting and trying to find her style. I guess it is the latter customer (from anywhere across the country) who will be buying that winning dress at Belk.

I liked Dom's second look but it doesn't look like a Belk dress to me. I guess you could wear it to a dinner at a country club or a garden party (if young southern women still go to them). It would be nice for a cruise, however.

It still irks me that the mature woman is usually forgotten, except for one episode, on PR. Does no one want to design for anybody over 25?

Since when does a modern Southern woman wear madras plaid? And I agree that this whole challenge was stupid and condescending. Ken's first dress looked like a negligee I had back in the '90 's. and his stare-down with Heidi was priceless. He does have a terrible attitude and he's mean to the other designers. Seriously, this show doesn't need two whackos, and Sandro should have been the only one.

I really can't see Belk's selling many of the winning dresses. I read somewhere that they take the winning designs, do a lot of changes to make it more appealing to the masses, and then put it on the hangers. They're hoping to get the two winners in the store by the end of March.

Don't you all love Tim Gunn?