Only ever cruised Princess...about to try Carnival! Some questions

jeaniust

Ugh! One treat that we had on that cruise that we hadn't experience on Princess. Too bad.

That went away about 5-7 years ago. One of the cutbacks that all the mass market lines get complaints about here on CC!

3. What decks should I book? I know on princess I look for the decks NOT below or above pools, clubs etc. I'm clueless on Carnival...

When we have sailed on different ships with Carnival, we usually try for the Empress deck. It usually has rooms above and below it. I am not sure about the deck plans on your ship. Just look at the Empress or the Upper deck and see what is above and below. I usually try to stay away from the decks where I have common areas above or below us.

We were on the Elation, also a Fantasy Class ship, 13 years ago and had been upgraded to some type of suite with balcony. This was our second cruise and it was awful. Luckily our next cruise was on a Princess ship and we got the cruising bug. Any comments about that horrible cruise would not be relevant to today.

We have since cruised on the Magic and Breeze, their newest ships and had a much better experience but not enough to stray away from Princess. The only attraction is that we can drive to Galveston instead of flying to CA, WA or FL.

My general comments are that short 4 or 5 day cruises on their ships particularly over a long weekend or holiday tend to be booze cruises with a lot of heavy drinking. The pax are younger in their 20's and 30's and have new families or are single. So expect a lot of kids and 20 something singles out to party. We were on the Magic the first week of December when all the kids are suppose to be in school but not 260 of them! We were on the Magic the first week of May with only weeks left in school but 600 of them decided to spend a week on a ship instead!

The food in the buffet was good and as good as what the Royal class provides and the buffet layout was probably copied when Princess built the Royal class ships. The food in the MDR was not as good as Princess.

Carnival now cleans cabins once per day and ask pax if they want it morning or evening. I have heard that you can ask for twice per day but have not tried as yet. We are pretty easy on the cabin.

Carnival does not use table clothes in the MDR except on elegant night. Not particularly an issue with us but not as nice as Princess.

The last two cruises I have been looking at my fellow pax with what I have been led to believe a walmart shopper looks like and amazingly there seems to be a resemblance. Biased opinion for sure since I do not go to walmart or sam's club but do find it funny.

Hi! I'm in charge of planning a ladies get away for myself and some friends. I'm in my late 30's and have cruised 3 times prior all with Princess and I love Princess. However I needed a 3 or 4 day out of Long Beach in Aug/Sept and unfortunately Princess is still in Alaska during this time so Carnival it is. My girlfriends have never cruised before so they are very excited and happy to try Carnival. So here are my questions and would appreciate ANY input:

1. Looks like Carnival Inspiration/imagination doesn't have balcony rooms? How are their interior/oceanview room sizes compare to Princess Grand class balcony?

You will be sorry going on the Inspiration and on Carnival for that matter. There will be kids running amuck, drunks, and heavy partying, chair hogs. That's correct, there are no balconies except for suites in the forward section. There's really no privacy in those cabins.

2. What should I expect that's different on these Carnival ships from Princess Grand class ships? Public space, entertainment, dining, and vibe in general...

Drunks, partying, kids running unsupervised, char hogs, younger crowd getting away for a weekend.

3. What decks should I book? I know on princess I look for the decks NOT below or above pools, clubs etc. I'm clueless on Carnival...

I think I have many more questions and I apologize if there's a previous post on this already but if someone can point me to the right direction I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival is WalMart of the Seas!

I wouldn’t spend one hard-earned dime on either of those ships. There decor is almost visually upsetting. Carnival offers a substandard product because there are so few west coast options. The Vista Class Panorama should be quite popular when it arrives, but I believe it will offer 7- night itineraries.

Save your money and use it to book a nice spa resort!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have only sailed on Princess once, but have sailed on Carnival six times. Our next cruise will be on Princess as well. At ages, 79 and 75, we have enjoyed each cruise we have taken.

We have never found the party atmosphere others mention unless you call people having a good time, "partying." Once in a while we have seen someone who might have had a drink or two too many, but not drunks as some have said. They say the shorter length the cruise, the more common the party animals.

We never minded the children and family dynamics which were more common on Carnival. On our Coral Princess Panama Canal trip last year, I did note that when seated in the back of the theater, gray hair and baldness showed the demographics of the ship. LOL

We have always had a balcony cabin so I can't speak to the ships without balconies. Overall, it boils down to what you make of your cruise. I do hope you enjoy it. I have written reviews for almost all of our cruises if you care to check out the links in my signature. Sorry I can't speak to the one you are taking.

We sailed on the Conquest in 2012 We had a great time We did not experience any real partiers or kids out of control. We always enjoy the piano bar on carnival.We don't eat in the buffet, so I can't speak to that.

Has anyone sailed on the Carnival Conquest? There's a nice 8-nighter itinerary to the Southern Caribbean I'm considering for early February 2019.

We sailed on the Conquest in 2012 We had a great time We did not experience any real partiers or kids out of control. We always enjoy the piano bar on carnival.We don't eat in the buffet, so I can't speak to that.

Thank you. We tried Royal Caribbean for the first time this past January. Got a great last minute deal and hoping for the same with Carnival next year. :)

I've sailed Royal, NCL, and Carnival...next year will do Princess for the 1st time. Late 30s and chose a Carnival twice in one year because I had such a blast! I think it's all in your personality - if you expect to have a good time, you will. If you read all the "Walmart" comments (I did, too, before I left Royal and NCL and tried Carnival...and got slightly worried before dismissing my worries and all naysayers and deciding to go and have a great vacation) you might look around and agree with them. I found exceptional service (we actually extended our second Carnival cruise to a B2B at the end of the first week just because of the level of service and fun - we even gave up our standard balcony room for an inside cabin, as it was all they had available last-minute, and we still had a blast) I'm sure you and your friends will have a great time! Just like I know I'm going to love Princess next year!

I've sailed Royal, NCL, and Carnival...next year will do Princess for the 1st time. Late 30s and chose a Carnival twice in one year because I had such a blast! I think it's all in your personality - if you expect to have a good time, you will. If you read all the "Walmart" comments (I did, too, before I left Royal and NCL and tried Carnival...and got slightly worried before dismissing my worries and all naysayers and deciding to go and have a great vacation) you might look around and agree with them. I found exceptional service (we actually extended our second Carnival cruise to a B2B at the end of the first week just because of the level of service and fun - we even gave up our standard balcony room for an inside cabin, as it was all they had available last-minute, and we still had a blast) I'm sure you and your friends will have a great time! Just like I know I'm going to love Princess next year!

The two particular ships, Imagination and Inspiration, are incorrectly named - they should be called the Insipid!

The two particular ships, Imagination and Inspiration, are incorrectly named - they should be called the Insipid!

^ Or you can listen to a poster/troll whose name basically means "the male collective OLD failed company that tried to reverse engineer dinosaurs for a theme park and also thought that was a good, safe idea"...

I love the Sea Princess, took my 1st longer cruise on her, 21 days. It was when I fell in love with the Plaza Deck!

I've cruised on Carnival, once, and think it is perfect for what you are doing, and because the other gals are first timers, perfect.

Princess is my primary cruise line, I'm older, sail for itinerary so it is good. Carnival or Royal Caribbean will be great for what you want. I was surprised by the cabin size on Carnival compared to Princess, bigger and the food wasn't bad by any means. I didn't care for all the hoopla in the dining room almost every evening but most enjoyed it and made for a lively atmosphere. I'm not sure if the dining room is still like a show time or not. Carnival isn't a bad choice.

^ Or you can listen to a poster/troll whose name basically means "the male collective OLD failed company that tried to reverse engineer dinosaurs for a theme park and also thought that was a good, safe idea"...

Perhaps it is past time for your meds??

Has anyone sailed on the Carnival Conquest? There's a nice 8-nighter itinerary to the Southern Caribbean I'm considering for early February 2019.

I've sailed on at least two of her sister ships. The Conquest Class is one of my favorites. I would not hesitate to sail Conquest on a Southern Itinerary.

Hi! I'm in charge of planning a ladies get away for myself and some friends. I'm in my late 30's and have cruised 3 times prior all with Princess and I love Princess. However I needed a 3 or 4 day out of Long Beach in Aug/Sept and unfortunately Princess is still in Alaska during this time so Carnival it is. My girlfriends have never cruised before so they are very excited and happy to try Carnival. So here are my questions and would appreciate ANY input:

1. Looks like Carnival Inspiration/imagination doesn't have balcony rooms? How are their interior/oceanview room sizes compare to Princess Grand class balcony?

2. What should I expect that's different on these Carnival ships from Princess Grand class ships? Public space, entertainment, dining, and vibe in general...

I think I have many more questions and I apologize if there's a previous post on this already but if someone can point me to the right direction I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!!

I did what your suggesting on the List Inspiration doing a 4 day cruise, also my first & only cruise on carnival. I enjoyed it & there are plenty of places for dancing. I enjoyed one place where you could sample different food each evening.

I’m spoiled with the Princess buffet layout with everything in one area rather on Carnival having different stations spread around the buffet area. A plus for Princess is having someone bring you drinks in the buffet rather than having go find the beverage station.

Even with these observations I enjoyed the cruise. I’m spoiled with the OBC that I get on Princess with Veterans/Stock Credit which can be as much as $500 combined.

Tom😎