Specialty dining - sold out cruise

Hi all,

I am doing my last minute second guessing and looking for some input on the specialty dining package.

I am sailing on Anthem with my husband and teenaged children. I originally bought a dining package, then cancelled it because the idea of fighting with all of the people boarding in order to make reservations on embarkation day for the rest of the cruise seemed a bit stressful. I decided to just book the meals I really wanted for the times I wanted, and suck up the extra cost.

Now that the sail off day is getting closer, I am noticing that there is still plenty of availability in the specialty restaurants, so I am second guessing my choice. I could probably save a decent amount of money with a specialty dining package.

Has anyone had a lot of difficulty booking specialty restaurants at the time of their choice on a sold out cruise?

I would probably switch to a package. Book the times as soon as you get onboard. You shouldn't have a problem if you are a little flexible. I also wouldn't buy a package for the full cruise, especially with teens. Some nights they may want to just go to WJ and on port days, you may be too tired for a full specialty dinner, or you may have eaten in port.

All ships sail full - availability of dining venues still varies. In terms of cost, you are unlikely to do better on board than booking in the planner now.

It’s been posted on the cc boards that if you purchase precruise you won’t be charged an 18% gratuity.

When you get on board just go to one of the specialty restaurants to make your reservations for the week. There was no line for that, but we do arrive at the ship early (11:00am).

We book a package on every cruise we sail on Allure and will do so for Harmony too. We have never had a problem reserving the restaurants we want and we do them right after we board the ship.

On Allure there was a podium set up near the Park Cafe where someone was taking reservations for the specialty restaurants. We told her what we wanted and when and she made all the arrangements for us.

If there isn't someone to do so, you can go to one of the restaurants and make reservations for all places. It really isn't complicated and takes only a few minutes.