"LIVE" - Ovation of the Seas (April 9-26, 2018), Bill & Marie's slow boat to China

As you can see by my previous post the port visit to Phu My port and Ho Chi Minh city has been cancelled due to the infamous "Port Loading". Oh well, so the have added a tender port Cam Ranh (Nha Trang) instead.

We also got word that immigration for Incheon Korea is "face to face" inspection. So they have grouped those interviews by lifeboat assignments. We are in C1 so our interview time is 11:50 am which is a little disappointing since we arrive in port at 9 am. Always a surprise. Currently chatting with a company that has a great tour but they are looking for 10-12 people, not 2-4.

As you can see by my previous post the port visit to Phu My port and Ho Chi Minh city has been cancelled due to the infamous "Port Loading". Oh well, so the have added a tender port Cam Ranh (Nha Trang) instead.

We also got word that immigration for Incheon Korea is "face to face" inspection. So they have grouped those interviews by lifeboat assignments. We are in C1 so our interview time is 11:50 am which is a little disappointing since we arrive in port at 9 am. Always a surprise. Currently chatting with a company that has a great tour but they are looking for 10-12 people, not 2-4.

I hope you are able to make the port switch and the face to face interviews work out. It would be a shame to miss seeing the areas you came so far to see. As I always say about travel, you have to be flexible, and I know you both are. Good luck. :)

We did the face to face as well in Incheon last year, it mostly just involved a long line of standing around and a 10 second face to face. We really liked Seoul, it was my wife’s favorite stop. The strange thing was returning to the ship around 8PM and all the outside lights on the ship were off which gives a surreal feeling. The local touristy folks dressed in traditional garb insisted to take my wife to our tour bus carried in the “royal” chair. She enjoyed that immensely.:eek:

That is surprising about the Phu May, as it seemed to be quite a large docking area with industrial dock after industrial dock on the river. Plus on our cruise it was an overnight at the dock, which was two days worth of tours.

JC

I hope you are able to make the port switch and the face to face interviews work out. It would be a shame to miss seeing the areas you came so far to see. As I always say about travel, you have to be flexible, and I know you both are. Good luck. :)
I have set up a tour for 10 of us with a company named Pham Tours. About 8-9 hours of traveling to rice paddies, a pagoda orphanage, an embroidery factory and about a half dozen other places plus good Vietnamese food.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tonight we once again had an enjoyable dinner at Coastal Kitchen. Martino is our waiter from Davao in the Philippines and had some great menu choices. Marie started with the pork belly and then the braised salmon finishing with her usual vanilla ice cream. I had smoked tomato soup, fillet mignon and a chocolate tart.

7b299ee0909b7eecdf68f47dfecb35c4.jpg

80dff42ee90154c64f0ecbdc70f7d9cb.jpg

a62e093f63592c32399bb9fdc0af903d.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Just booked this ship to Alaska next year...looking forward to hearing about your trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Booked Alaska too next year on this ship. When will you be traveling? My granddaughters & I are booked for Aug 23, 2019. Can't wait!!! ;)

So happy that you and Marie are on a back-to-back, Bill! Loving your photos and excursions btw :)

How are you enjoying Ovation so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, glad to have you along. We like the ship, nicely organized. A lot of walking due to the size but we can use the exercise.

What cabin type do you have on the 2nd cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for reminding me. We're in a Family Junior Suite this time, cabin 9212. I like this better than the Spa Junior Suite.

This morning at 9:30 we had the Meet and Mingle in the Music Hall. The ship did it up right with finger food, juice, coffee, champagne, mimosas. Also a considerable number of raffle guests gifts, 2 red wine, 2 white wine, 2 champagne, Rccl towels and backpacks. The Activities Director and the Group Activities Coordinator were there.

Too bad the majority of the 100 odd people who signed up didn't show. Maybe two dozen. People wonder why often Royal doesn't put a lot of effort in the M&M. That is a good reason. A positive for us was the better chance to win something, I won a backpack full of Royal goodies.

5d461cf71d1800b4ac433080ace4a49d.jpg

Sorry about the blurry shot

3413743fec4bc39f726f14eb535ce67e.jpg

433086113ef77ae51fa00dffb0332e0d.jpg

Seems like all I post are food lately.

We had a delicious lunch at the Solarium Bistro today. I like the relaxed atmosphere, nothing like Windjammer. Better food too, the chicken parmesan was the best. Al dente pasta too

589e0baa05ba2d3a0ce9b1f01dbe3871.jpg

bafc109686c8ab0ee76a3d15874e100c.jpg

12d1a1e5513f3c71a1c8fad17054e4bb.jpg

Too bad the majority of the 100 odd people who signed up didn't show. Maybe two dozen. People wonder why often Royal doesn't put a lot of effort in the M&M. That is a good reason. A positive for us was the better chance to win something, I won a backpack full of Royal goodies.

I think the issue is that people are excited about attending while sitting at home, but RCCL and other lines hold them so early. After a night out enjoying the ship you have to get up so early. Not to mention some people who arrive closer to the cruise departure and are dealing with time change. Why not make it a bit later in the AM? I would suggest that attendance would go up.

🤷🏻*

I think the issue is that people are excited about attending while sitting at home, but RCCL and other lines hold them so early. After a night out enjoying the ship you have to get up so early. Not to mention some people who arrive closer to the cruise departure and are dealing with time change. Why not make it a bit later in the AM? I would suggest that attendance would go up.

[emoji477]️ 🤷🏻*

I'm sure no matter what time they hold it people can find a reason for not showing.

Another lovely dinner in Coastal Kitchen. Marie had Maine lobster salad, pollock with coconut Jasmine rice and the usual vanilla ice cream. I tried the lobster salad, crusted ribeye and a mascarpone cheesecake. Also with our salads we shared a mushroom stuffed chicken leg.

9f4824c9cf24e06373b9096460e2dc8c.jpg

14a501327d8fcbdf62093b4046e46926.jpg

ad84336e8b9e74a8e2475caaa9c96ab0.jpg

38be31d6b50c381bacb01e49fad4805b.jpg