Boarding in Vancouver

kitegirl

I was wondering the same thing. Then I remembered that wonderful invention known as the internet. Click the link and scroll down to your desired month.

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Draft-2018-Schedule-February-28-2018-1.pdf

Internet? Who woulda thunk that? Obviously not me for a moment. Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing. Then I remembered that wonderful invention known as the internet. Click the link and scroll down to your desired month.

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Draft-2018-Schedule-February-28-2018-1.pdf

Just in case someone browses this thread later on in the year - that link will be broken as soon as they issue the final schedule (or another draft is produced). It's always best to link to the page the schedule link is on, rather than the individual document in the uploads folder (which in a worst case scenario gets left behind on the server so stays live after a more-accurate doc replaces it on the page and thus supplies incorrect info). The permanent page (at least until the next time Port Vancouver decides to overhaul their website) is found here. There is also other useful info like directions, FAQs, facilities and services available at the pier, and so forth on their cruising pages.

We’ll be on the Coral from LA to Vancouver on 5/5-5/9 and boarding the Island on 5/9. Haven’t done that before in Vancouver. I assumed we’d just disembark the Coral with our luggage and walk around to the embarkation area to board the Island. Anyone have any hints or suggestions for doing this in Vancouver with any less hassle? (We are from Texas) I guess we go through customs exiting the Coral and again as we board the Island? Is there a way to stay in the “secured” (CBP cleared) area without exiting? Maybe the Coral staff can expedite us to the Island staff? (Wishful thinking?)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by RRFan

Oh goodie, we get the first 4-ship day. At least we have Global Entry and are flying into Vancouver the day before. Staying at the Marriott Pinnacle downtown so MAYBE I'll get up early and watch the ships come in.

Edited by InAlabama

We’ll be on the Coral from LA to Vancouver on 5/5-5/9 and boarding the Island on 5/9. Haven’t done that before in Vancouver. I assumed we’d just disembark the Coral with our luggage and walk around to the embarkation area to board the Island. Anyone have any hints or suggestions for doing this in Vancouver with any less hassle? (We are from Texas) I guess we go through customs exiting the Coral and again as we board the Island? Is there a way to stay in the “secured” (CBP cleared) area without exiting? Maybe the Coral staff can expedite us to the Island staff? (Wishful thinking?)

No way to stay 'secure' - even on a true B2B you have to leave the ship and do customs/immigration. The fact you're moving from Princess to Princess gives you no edge in the process according to any reports I've seen. Since there are immigration issues on both ends (entering Canada, then preclearance for entering the US) cruiseline staff have basically zero power to expedite anything - it's the minions of two different governments, who occasionally clash regarding processes & procedures, that have final say on how things get run.

Best thing to do is either choose the latest possible disembarkation group, so that you have minimal waiting to drop your bags with the longshoremen (officially start time is between 10 and 10:30am) or, to maximise sightseeing time, do Self-Disembark to be among the earliest off and store your bags for the day. Pan Pacific bell staff are the cheapest option - $5 per bag. The official pier storage, CDS, charge $7 or $8 depending on size.

Since this is not just a three-ship day, but the first of the season, reboarding will be a long and annoying process. If you've been to Vancouver before I'd consider not bothering with sightseeing at all - just do the late getting off thing, go drop bags as soon as they let you, then join the queue for cruise check-in ~10am. While this guarantees you will spend a couple of hours on site (boarding processes usually start around 11am, but since it's Princess you will not be allowed onto the ship until noon) these early-season 3-shippers are notorious for long, long queues that stay busy until well into the afternoon - so our usual preference of boarding late, even as late as 3pm, can mean you will still wait 2+ hours to board. Boarding any time in the peak noon-1pm timeframe could mean 3+ hours waiting around!

If you are first-timers though, there's just too much good stuff to see and do here not to risk it so get off early, store bags, go sightseeing and don't return until as close to the 90min predeparture cutoff as you are willing to tolerate - schedule currently calls for a 4:30pm departure for all three vessels on May 9th. To mitigate risk, start with far away stuff and finish up your last hour or two doing things an easy walk from the pier, like FlyOverCanada ride on the pier itself or walking Gastown or Coal Harbour - this way there's no chance of traffic problems making you too late!

After the first few weeks, late boarding means almost no queuing - unfortunately there's just no way to predict how many n00bs will be involved for shoreside operations in all roles so it could be anything from just a few extra wasted minutes to an absolute FUBAR situation on this first really-busy day; even if you push the limit and return at 2:59pm it might still take 2 hours to get back onboard.

No way to stay 'secure' - even on a true B2B you have to leave the ship and do customs/immigration. The fact you're moving from Princess to Princess gives you no edge in the process according to any reports I've seen. Since there are immigration issues on both ends (entering Canada, then preclearance for entering the US) cruiseline staff have basically zero power to expedite anything - it's the minions of two different governments, who occasionally clash regarding processes & procedures, that have final say on how things get run.

Best thing to do is either choose the latest possible disembarkation group, so that you have minimal waiting to drop your bags with the longshoremen (officially start time is between 10 and 10:30am) or, to maximise sightseeing time, do Self-Disembark to be among the earliest off and store your bags for the day. Pan Pacific bell staff are the cheapest option - $5 per bag. The official pier storage, CDS, charge $7 or $8 depending on size.

Since this is not just a three-ship day, but the first of the season, reboarding will be a long and annoying process. If you've been to Vancouver before I'd consider not bothering with sightseeing at all - just do the late getting off thing, go drop bags as soon as they let you, then join the queue for cruise check-in ~10am. While this guarantees you will spend a couple of hours on site (boarding processes usually start around 11am, but since it's Princess you will not be allowed onto the ship until noon) these early-season 3-shippers are notorious for long, long queues that stay busy until well into the afternoon - so our usual preference of boarding late, even as late as 3pm, can mean you will still wait 2+ hours to board. Boarding any time in the peak noon-1pm timeframe could mean 3+ hours waiting around!

If you are first-timers though, there's just too much good stuff to see and do here not to risk it so get off early, store bags, go sightseeing and don't return until as close to the 90min predeparture cutoff as you are willing to tolerate - schedule currently calls for a 4:30pm departure for all three vessels on May 9th. To mitigate risk, start with far away stuff and finish up your last hour or two doing things an easy walk from the pier, like FlyOverCanada ride on the pier itself or walking Gastown or Coal Harbour - this way there's no chance of traffic problems making you too late!

After the first few weeks, late boarding means almost no queuing - unfortunately there's just no way to predict how many n00bs will be involved for shoreside operations in all roles so it could be anything from just a few extra wasted minutes to an absolute FUBAR situation on this first really-busy day; even if you push the limit and return at 2:59pm it might still take 2 hours to get back onboard.

That's about what I figured. We've been to Vancouver many times and have done b2b's there many times. We've just never changed ships there. I was hoping there was some trick that could help expedite us. We'll probably do the late disembark and try to get back on as quickly as possible handling our own luggage. We're Elite so maybe that will help once we get through customs. Thanks for the information! I always appreciate other people's perspective and have learned so much just talking to fellow cruisers! Happy Sailing!!

Last year, we didn't use the parking lot downstairs. We went down a long hall on the street level. Still tons of walking. I think we still had the US immigration. Not sure if they have fixed the problem w/ all ship's passengers using the same line.

Last year, we didn't use the parking lot downstairs. We went down a long hall on the street level. Still tons of walking. I think we still had the US immigration. Not sure if they have fixed the problem w/ all ship's passengers using the same line.

You can do either way! Things changed a little after I stopped working there (the convention centre hall was only ever used on 4+ ship days as overflow and check in was last, after customs and security back then). From what I can gather from friends that still work there and from my own experience with recent sailings, you now check in first in the convention centre upstairs - you either get here from street level through the long hallway you talked about or you go down to the terminal through the parking lot (I STILL tend to do that, just out of habit - you have to drop bags there still, too, I believe). After check in you go downstairs (the stairs are not kid-friendly I might add!) and go through security and customs, then board. The process seems to be better now than when I worked there, but I agree it's a lot of walking up and down and does seem to be very disorganised once you add in the mobs of passengers both disembarking and embarking!! Still, if it means I get to go on a cruise I will take it!

I board the Ruby on April 27 (only ship in port)... flight arrives at 10:30 and headed straight to port via Skytrain. Do I need to bring my Global Entry card to use that line? I've never used it at a cruise port before. Are there any grocery stores nearby to pick up soda, etc..? Will I need CDN$ to tip the porter??

I board the Ruby on April 27 (only ship in port)... flight arrives at 10:30 and headed straight to port via Skytrain. Do I need to bring my Global Entry card to use that line? I've never used it at a cruise port before. Are there any grocery stores nearby to pick up soda, etc..? Will I need CDN$ to tip the porter??

Yes, physical card is needed to gain access to all expedited queues in Canada (GE and NEXUS). Unless you're mighty strong, or have left room in a rolling suitcase to fit your soda, I suggest heading to the pier first to drop luggage with the longshoremen than going for your soda. If price doesn't matter you'll find small stores around the mall & food court, but if you would rather buy by the caseload then you'll need to walk a wee bit - the nearest potential 'case of soda' store is the Rexall Pharmacy at the corner of Granville & Pender; supermarkets will likely offer a better price though - Nester's in Gastown is most convenient (and there's another big pharmacy, London Drugs, in the same building in case they don't have your preferred brand). Google Map with all three of these plus Waterfront station and the pier here.

..... From what I can gather from friends that still work there and from my own experience with recent sailings, you now check in first in the convention centre upstairs - you either get here from street level through the long hallway you talked about or you go down to the terminal through the parking lot (I STILL tend to do that, just out of habit - you have to drop bags there still, too, I believe). After check in you go downstairs (the stairs are not kid-friendly I might add!) and go through security and customs, then board. The process seems to be better now than when I worked there, but I agree it's a lot of walking up and down and does seem to be very disorganised once you add in the mobs of passengers both disembarking and embarking!! Still, if it means I get to go on a cruise I will take it!

I will be sailing the emerald from Vancouver. Are there escalators, elevators or moving stairways (like airports) to assist with the long walks to the various floors. Do not really want to request a wheelchair. Stairs can be a problem for me with depth perception as I am visually impaired in one eye as well as having arthritis.

Any answers would be helpful so that I know what to expect. Thank you

I will be sailing the emerald from Vancouver. Are there escalators, elevators or moving stairways (like airports) to assist with the long walks to the various floors. Do not really want to request a wheelchair. Stairs can be a problem for me with depth perception as I am visually impaired in one eye as well as having arthritis.

There are escalators and elevators but there is a lot of walking and you could be standing in lines for a long time. More than once we've been in line for over an hour. Of all the ports we sailed from, Vancouver is the one that can potentially be the hardest for someone with limited mobility. I'd really recommend going for a wheelchair.

I don't remember specifics but my Mom was visually impaired with a Seeing Eye dog and I took her several times to Vancouver to catch a ship and there was never an issue with her getting around. We had one issue where we were intransit there and there was confusion but not with her mobility. The dog doesn't do escalators so we avoided them if they existed.