Chargers

bowen9475

The presence of a ground does not indicate surge protection.

I didn't say it did.

I said that the absence of a ground indicates no surge protection.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Look on the bottom of the power strip (reverse side of the outlets). If it has a surge protector, the strip will either be embossed with that information or have a sticker indicating that it is surge protected.

The example from a month or so ago doesn't say "surge protected" but rather had some more technically arcane specifications that CC's resident ship's engineer explained was specifications for surge protection.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

The example from a month or so ago doesn't say "surge protected" but rather had some more technically arcane specifications that CC's resident ship's engineer explained was specifications for surge protection.

If you're talking about the one I remember, the ad on Amazon specifically said no surge protection. Looking at the specs tho it mentioned either Joules or clamping voltage, both terms used to spec a surge protector.

Of course, as always, I could be wrong...

This has a surge protector. No go.

Like others have pointed out, that's not a surge protector. I have known so many people buy a power strip from Walmart or the dollar store for next to nothing and think they have a surge protector only to have their computer or tv fried. Those are power strips, not surge protectors.

????? What example from a month or so ago? Everything posted here is from today. Every hardware store I've been to, such as Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, True Value, etc. that has power strips are clearly marked as "surge protected" if they are, with no technically arcane verbiage. If you order one on line from someplace like Amazon, I suppose it's possible to get a product that's labeled with some sort of vague labeling.

I hate know-it-alls, especially when they're WRONG. That's a Belkin model F9P609-03, which is a POWER STRIP, and NOT a surge protector.
Pssst. It's actually model F9P609-05R-DP. But you were close. I won't tell anyone. ;)

And to be fair, if there's any doubt, it's up to the cruise line staff, not the cruiser. That's why the more we do to make absolutely sure we can proove that our device is permitted the less likely our trip will hit a snag.
It's up to the cruise line to make a decision if it's allowed on board once the cruiser gets it there, yes. What I mean is, it's up to the cruiser to make an informed decision about the device they're taking before they get that far. Be certain long before they ever have a chance to take it away from you. If you have to, as many people do, take documentation to prove it. There's been plenty of times when ill-informed employees have been proven wrong and changed their minds. That's why I recommend people carry things like this in their carry-on instead of checked bags. That way if someone questions it at the terminal, you can argue your case instead of discovering it's been confiscated after your luggage arrives in your cabin.

If you're talking about the one I remember, the ad on Amazon specifically said no surge protection. Looking at the specs tho it mentioned either Joules or clamping voltage, both terms used to spec a surge protector.

Of course, as always, I could be wrong...

That's the one. And the best reason to never trust the description from an online retailer. Always refer to the manufacturer's website.

If you have to, as many people do, take documentation to prove it.
Excellent advice.

This is the perfect cruise device. We have two of these, one never leaves the overnight bag. I keep it in my carry-on while boarding the ship for the camera, Apple watch, iPod, Kindle, etc.

Keep in mind that some of the outlets are not flush, they can be recessed, so that cube may not work.

The European plug is extended from the body of the adaptor so it looks to me like it should work ok.

710NzVWMnKL._SL1200_.jpg

This is the perfect cruise device. We have two of these, one never leaves the overnight bag. I keep it in my carry-on while boarding the ship for the camera, Apple watch, iPod, Kindle, etc.

This has surge protection. Scroll down to the Product Description section and look under "MultiProtect Safety System."

I got this one from Amazon and just used it on the Fascination in March 2018. Worked great and it is NOT a surge protector. I kept the cardboard sleev on it and put it back on it when I packed up at the end of the cruise. I will be using it again in May 2018 on the Miracle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HHF1HG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this one from Amazon and just used it on the Fascination in March 2018. Worked great and it is NOT a surge protector. I kept the cardboard sleev on it and put it back on it when I packed up at the end of the cruise. I will be using it again in May 2018 on the Miracle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HHF1HG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could you repost this link? It is not working. Thank you.

I use this one. Amazon, about $20.

51WO48UkAtL._SX522_-M.jpg

I keep it in the original box - it is clearly labeled from the manufacturer as having NO SURGE PROTECTOR right on the top.

I like it most because of the angles of the plugs. Makes it much easier with cell phone plugs as they are so darn big. Three fit in easily with no issues.

It is NTONPOWER brand. Works great and no issues getting on the ship! I did keep it in my carry-on in case anyone had any questions I could answer and not have to chase it down in the naughty room if they had tried to take it. They never even blinked.

That's what we use. We also use a power strip, and a couple of extension cords for the fan and cpap. Never any issues.

I'm just curious if you all have decided to not bring this on a cruise in the future as it has been shown to have surge protection?