Confusion about Seaside "Service Charge/Tipping"

KatRangoon

So, after reading a bunch of threads, I'm now confused about the MSC Service Charge policy. I _thought_ that the way MSC did their tipping was that you didn't tip and you were charged a Per Person Daily Service Charge that was evenly spread among the crew, even if they didn't serve you directly. But on several posts, I've read how 15% gratuity is being added to drink orders at the bars even if people have the free drink coupons/passes, As if the bartenders/waiters don't get the Service Charge tip.

I guess my question is, does the Service Charge for Seaside go to EVERYONE? or is it just for your Room Attendant? Or Room Attendant and Assigned Waiter in the MDR? I just want to make sure that if some people aren't getting tipped that I think deserve a tip, that they get one, and that I don't double tip unnecessarily.

I cannot answer your question about who's covered by the service charge and who isn't - it's a mystery!

However, I can tell you that the 15%gratuity on drinks in NOT charged when you use the coupons. You'll get a receipt that says 0.00 but has a space in which you can add a tip, if you wish. Same goes for the regular drink packages. The posts you're talking about refer to a new promotion, in which you get the drinks but have to pay the gratuity fee - this promotion is less expensive than the regular drink packages.

So, after reading a bunch of threads, I'm now confused about the MSC Service Charge policy. I _thought_ that the way MSC did their tipping was that you didn't tip and you were charged a Per Person Daily Service Charge that was evenly spread among the crew, even if they didn't serve you directly. But on several posts, I've read how 15% gratuity is being added to drink orders at the bars even if people have the free drink coupons/passes, As if the bartenders/waiters don't get the Service Charge tip.

I guess my question is, does the Service Charge for Seaside go to EVERYONE? or is it just for your Room Attendant? Or Room Attendant and Assigned Waiter in the MDR? I just want to make sure that if some people aren't getting tipped that I think deserve a tip, that they get one, and that I don't double tip unnecessarily.

It's divided among a lot of people.

This is what the MSC for Me app shows r.e. service charges.

Hmm, okay, so I guess bar staff gets their tips from the drinks they sell probably, but yeah... seems like a big mystery. I guess I'll just hope everyone gets what they deserve. It's not how I usually like to do it (I definitely believe in tipping based on actual service, not on a flat fee), but since I don't know how it's actually doled out, it'll have to do.

Two charges here that you need to deal with first the daily service charge which MSC claims is a fix amount charger each day per guest. The second is the 15% added fee charged against all drinks purchased and services requested. The second charge is based upon how much you spend, if you spend nothing for these added services you pay nothing.

Like most of the cruise lines these daily charges are vague and the official policies are not clear. They try to tell you that you must pay them but in fact they really cannot do that. From MSC policy:

"The Hotel Service charge serves to ensure we maintain the highest quality standards of service to our guests. The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified."

Sounds very clear it is a service charge you must pay it. but then the next line says:

"However, should you wish to remove any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager on board"

Based upon this section it is not a require amount and fixed, can be modified or changed.

The bottom line it is your choice what you do with this daily charge. No one can force you to do anything here . I really wish all the cruise lines would stop these games, at least MSC calls it what it is a service charge and not a gratuity.

So if I have a drinks package do I have to pay 15% on the drinks I order?

nope

Is some portion of the Classic/Deluxe drink package given to staff as a tip, or do bar staff not get anything for package drinkers that the drinkers don't add themselves on the receipt?

Is some portion of the Classic/Deluxe drink package given to staff as a tip, or do bar staff not get anything for package drinkers that the drinkers don't add themselves on the receipt?

Yes, some portion goes to staff. Who can say how much? If you purchase package prior to cruise you are not charged additional. If you purchase package onboard you pay a flat 15% surcharge on the package. Each drink still gets put through the system so whether you order 1 or 500, the bar staff is compensated to some degree no matter what.

With the new drinks on us promo package you pay 15% on each drink.