Major Itinerary Change, and not for the better

boomhower

Me and my wife booked a cruise several months ago for next March. It's on the Paradise out of Tampa going to Cozumel and Mahogany Bay. We booked the cruise for the Mahogany Bay port, they have a monkey excursion my wife wants to take. We recently cruised the Elation and the Paradise is getting the same treatment so were extremely exited. Well, they have changed Mahogany Bay to Cuba. We have zero desire to go to Cuba, I'm sure it's a wonderful place to visit but it is not somewhere we want to go. Seems Mahogany Bay is not a popular port of call as few cruises go there. There is a 6 day Miracle for around 30% more but it is an extra day. My wife was pretty disappointed the Miracle doesn't have a Guys. They offered a $25OBC to change to another cruise. That would be fine but a comparable one doesn't exist, the 30% more is the only other cruise that even goes there anywhere near the time frame. Not wanting a free ride but putting us in a comparable room on the Miracle at the fair we paid plus the additional port fee for the extra port doesn't seem to far out of line. Just frustrated.

That's a way better itinerary and you hit the jackpot to get that port at a regular caribbean price, but if you do not want to go, so be it.

I think it would be fair of Carnival to price protect your per diem rate; that way if you wanted to upgrade to the 6 day Miracle you just pay the extra day prorated and not just 30% more. I don't think they should eat the port charges or other

taxes though. I understand your frustration, try a different agent or resolutions department. Also reconsider Cuba it is a fascinating port stop.

That's a way better itinerary and you hit the jackpot to get that port at a regular caribbean price, but if you do not want to go, so be it.

I think it would be fair of Carnival to price protect your per diem rate; that way if you wanted to upgrade to the 6 day Miracle you just pay the extra day prorated and not just 30% more. I don't think they should eat the port charges or other

taxes though. I understand your frustration, try a different agent or resolutions department. Also reconsider Cuba it is a fascinating port stop.

I'm not upset at the higher cost of the cruise, it's to be expected with a 7 day vs a 5 day. I have no issue paying the going rate for the trip, my issue was the $100 charge for changing cruises when they were the reason the change was required.

I certainly understand the draw of Cuba and why folks are interested in going. It just isn't for us.

I'm not upset at the higher cost of the cruise, it's to be expected with a 7 day vs a 5 day. I have no issue paying the going rate for the trip, my issue was the $100 charge for changing cruises when they were the reason the change was required.

I certainly understand the draw of Cuba and why folks are interested in going. It just isn't for us.

Asking for the change fee to be waived is certainly reasonable in this case. I hope you get satisfaction from CCL.

For example, I don’t think any cruise line will be calling on Rotaan’s Coxen Hole for a while...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sure hope it gets fixed. We are due to dock at Coxen Hole on a RCCL ship next month.

She really wants the monkey excursion and from looking at the various ports and excursions this is by far the best port for it.

Roatán or not, the Miracle is the better ship. And when you finally sail on your cruise and get to day 5, you’ll be very grateful that it’s not debarkation day and, instead, you still have two more vacation days to go!

Just so that you’re prepared for anything, do keep in mind that Roatán is one of those ports of call that can easily be missed. The ship backs into a narrow area and if it’s a bit too windy or choppy, they will cancel the stop. When we sailed on the Dream, we were able to dock. About two hours later, the Valor arrived. We watched from Mahogany Beach as the ship waited and then tried to dock unsuccessfully, and finally left. It was an absolutely beautiful day, but the wind/sea conditions were not appropriate. From what I’ve read on these boards it can happen fairly often.

Just throwing that out there so that it doesn’t catch you by surprise if it does happen, specially after all the hassle you’ve gone through! But hope for the best. Have a great cruise!

So Carnival did right by you after a follow up call. I don’t begrudge Carnival not offering this outright as most people would be delighted by the change. Ships change itineraries all the time, usually for mechanical reasons (they sometimes let people switch with no fee) or for weather or subsequent port availability (they usually don’t unless the cruise is shortened). This is a rather unusual reason for a change so I’m not surprised they would handle it on a case by case basis.

Honduras is one place I would not travel to on a land based trip, but that is JMHO. It has the highest murder ratio in the Caribbean, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Roatan was one of the islands I want to go back to for a land vacation. Beautiful, very lush, the water is so clear it is just that: clear!!! Great people, food...Ahhhhh someday!