Major Itinerary Change, and not for the better

boomhower

Me and my wife booked a cruise several months ago for next March. It's on the Paradise out of Tampa going to Cozumel and Mahogany Bay. We booked the cruise for the Mahogany Bay port, they have a monkey excursion my wife wants to take. We recently cruised the Elation and the Paradise is getting the same treatment so were extremely exited. Well, they have changed Mahogany Bay to Cuba. We have zero desire to go to Cuba, I'm sure it's a wonderful place to visit but it is not somewhere we want to go. Seems Mahogany Bay is not a popular port of call as few cruises go there. There is a 6 day Miracle for around 30% more but it is an extra day. My wife was pretty disappointed the Miracle doesn't have a Guys. They offered a $25OBC to change to another cruise. That would be fine but a comparable one doesn't exist, the 30% more is the only other cruise that even goes there anywhere near the time frame. Not wanting a free ride but putting us in a comparable room on the Miracle at the fair we paid plus the additional port fee for the extra port doesn't seem to far out of line. Just frustrated.

While I understand your frustration, I think most of us would consider a change to Cuba a plus. There are tons of cruises that go to Roatan - very few that go to Cuba. Roatan is actually a pretty popular port IMHO, especially now that they no longer dock in Coxen Hole and have the very nice cruise facility. IF someone doesn't want to pay for an excursion, the beach there is quite nice.

I would advise taking a breath, look at the shore excursion options for Cuba and if there is still no appeal, I would take the credit and move to a different cruise, paying the difference. No point in taking a vacation that you don't want. Most cruises that go there are 7 days as it is relatively far west and south...so that is why you pay more.

Oh -and Miracle is going to have a steakhouse which is well worth it. So for every thing that one may or may not have, there is something else to enjoy. The Miracle class is a favorite of many on these boards.

Me and my wife booked a cruise several months ago for next March. It's on the Paradise out of Tampa going to Cozumel and Mahogany Bay. We booked the cruise for the Mahogany Bay port, they have a monkey excursion my wife wants to take. We recently cruised the Elation and the Paradise is getting the same treatment so were extremely exited. Well, they have changed Mahogany Bay to Cuba. We have zero desire to go to Cuba, I'm sure it's a wonderful place to visit but it is not somewhere we want to go. Seems Mahogany Bay is not a popular port of call as few cruises go there. There is a 6 day Miracle for around 30% more but it is an extra day. My wife was pretty disappointed the Miracle doesn't have a Guys. They offered a $25OBC to change to another cruise. That would be fine but a comparable one doesn't exist, the 30% more is the only other cruise that even goes there anywhere near the time frame. Not wanting a free ride but putting us in a comparable room on the Miracle at the fair we paid plus the additional port fee for the extra port doesn't seem to far out of line. Just frustrated.

I can understand your frustration, these things happen. I doubt they will do your option, but you can always ask. You don't mention whether the home port is an issue or not, I would think east coast would offer a lot more options. A cruise to HMC is far superior to Mahogany Bay in my opinion (as is GT). Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can understand your frustration, these things happen. I doubt they will do your option, but you can always ask. You don't mention whether the home port is an issue or not, I would think east coast would offer a lot more options. A cruise to HMC is far superior to Mahogany Bay in my opinion (as is GT). Good luck.

If you are looking for a beach day, I agree that HMC and GT are far superior. I think the OP's frustration comes in that his wife wanted the monkeys - and Roatan is the best place for that (cause you can get the sloths too!). Roatan is a place to explore and have adventures ziplining or at the iguana sanctuary, or snorkel off West Bay. There is just tons to do there, so I do get the desire to visit - it's my kids favorite port.

If you are looking for a beach day, I agree that HMC and GT are far superior. I think the OP's frustration comes in that his wife wanted the monkeys - and Roatan is the best place for that (cause you can get the sloths too!). Roatan is a place to explore and have adventures ziplining or at the iguana sanctuary, or snorkel off West Bay. There is just tons to do there, so I do get the desire to visit - it's my kids favorite port.

Understand, but it appears not to be an option, which means, what other options are there.

Understand, but it appears not to be an option, which means, what other options are there.

Yep - gotta decide priorities. And remember the golden rule - if you have your heart set on a destination, don't book a cruise guaranteeing that it will get you there. If it is really Roatan they want, just fly there.

Our first and only cruise went to HMC and it was heaven on Earth. But as was mentioned we booked this cruise for the monkey's at MB. I don't expect them to give us a deal on the Miracle at all, it's just one of those crap happens deals. I would never book a cruise for the intent of HMC as it is so weather dependent. Home port is not a massive issue but a consideration. We can cruise from Jacksonville, Orlando or Tampa in a less than 9 hours. Ft. Lauderdale in 10 and Miami 12. It's the drive home that is main difference as we would hotel the night before on any of them.

Honduras is one place I would not travel to on a land based trip, but that is JMHO. It has the highest murder ratio in the Caribbean, but to each their own.

I would not do a land based vacation in mainland Hondouras for the reason stated; but my research and personal experience in Roatan indicates it is an entirely different animal. I feel much less safe in Jamaica.

Our first and only cruise went to HMC and it was heaven on Earth. But as was mentioned we booked this cruise for the monkey's at MB. I don't expect them to give us a deal on the Miracle at all, it's just one of those crap happens deals. I would never book a cruise for the intent of HMC as it is so weather dependent. Home port is not a massive issue but a consideration. We can cruise from Jacksonville, Orlando or Tampa in a less than 9 hours. Ft. Lauderdale in 10 and Miami 12. It's the drive home that is main difference as we would hotel the night before on any of them.

Then you really do need to decide your priorities because you do have so many options at your disposal. It will be a cost benefit analysis. If you really don't want Cuba, then I suggest you set your budget and shop again...knowing you are getting that OBC.

Oh - and FLL is only like 45 min from Miami, so I don't think it is the 2 hr difference you have sited...

Me and my wife booked a cruise several months ago for next March. It's on the Paradise out of Tampa going to Cozumel and Mahogany Bay. We booked the cruise for the Mahogany Bay port, they have a monkey excursion my wife wants to take. We recently cruised the Elation and the Paradise is getting the same treatment so were extremely exited. Well, they have changed Mahogany Bay to Cuba. We have zero desire to go to Cuba.....

The short answer is they made a change and have made offers to you take the offer or cancel. I understand this is not what you want to hear. I do not see you getting what you want from them as long as you are dealing with line customer service people.

If you could get to someone in higher management you could get what you want. But how much work are you willing or able to do to make this happen? If you start posting to social media, if you contact the press and get a news story started, if you can cause any possible PR image issues they will listen to you.

Truth be told if you could present the same information and reasons you stated here to upper management they would correct because it is good customer service.

If you become the squeaky wheel, you may be able to get what you want but only you know if it is worth it to you. Good luck safe and happy cruising.

Check out the Breeze out of Port Canaveral. We are sailing to MB on the Breeze in May 2019. Also Amber Cove, Dominican Republic has a Monkey Land Excursion that was great so maybe a cruise to this port could be an option.

If you are looking at the Carnival Monkey excursion in Mahogany Bay I would suggest you skip it. There is only one monkey and it was tethered, we interacted with it for less than a minute. Not worth the money. The Carnival Monkey Land Excursion in Dominican Republic was worth every penny. Lots of monkeys, roaming free within their large sanctuary. They jumped on our heads, climbed all over us, ate from bowls of food the staff gave us, it was a lot of fun.

Magic from Miami has a 7 day on March 3, Miracle also March 3 & 10; HAL Rotterdam from Tampa on Mar. 3. Freedom from Galveston 9 Mar; Dream from NOLA on Mar 10. Caribbean Princess from FLL 16 Mar. Check out http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose Roatan (Honduras) from the Ports of Call list. Any ship of the Carnival family of brands calling in roatan will go to Mahogany Bay rather then Coxen Hole. We were there with a Costa ship. EM

I would not do a land based vacation in mainland Hondouras for the reason stated; but my research and personal experience in Roatan indicates it is an entirely different animal. I feel much less safe in Jamaica.

Although it’s bee ahoy six years, we flew to Roatan and stayed there for a week. What an incredible vacation. We did swimming with the dolphins, we held monkeys, we ate a restaurant each morning where the residents were rescued parrots and they came and visited u st your table. Lots of us expats live on the island. We never felt unsafe and stayed at an incredible resort.

We also have stayed on Roatan 2 weeks in different years to Infinity Bay hotel right next to Tabayana Beach. We'd go back in a heartbeat!

We wouldn't stay on mainland Honduras, Guatamala or El Salvador because of the crime rates, but Roatan was fantastic. We walked West Bay Beach at night to find a different restaurant to eat in!

We also have stayed on Roatan 2 weeks in different years to Infinity Bay hotel right next to Tabayana Beach. We'd go back in a heartbeat!

That sounds heavenly! The snorkeling at Tabayana Beach is incredible. I could definitely spend a week there.

While I understand your frustration, I think most of us would consider a change to Cuba a plus. There are tons of cruises that go to Roatan - very few that go to Cuba. Roatan is actually a pretty popular port IMHO, especially now that they no longer dock in Coxen Hole and have the very nice cruise facility. IF someone doesn't want to pay for an excursion, the beach there is quite nice.

I would advise taking a breath, look at the shore excursion options for Cuba and if there is still no appeal, I would take the credit and move to a different cruise, paying the difference. No point in taking a vacation that you don't want. Most cruises that go there are 7 days as it is relatively far west and south...so that is why you pay more.

Oh -and Miracle is going to have a steakhouse which is well worth it. So for every thing that one may or may not have, there is something else to enjoy. The Miracle class is a favorite of many on these boards.

Speak for yourself. You have no idea whether "most" of us would consider going to Cuba a plus. I for one would cancel the cruise as there is no way I will ever visit a country that has a Communist regime in place. Since I don't speak for others I have no idea what others would think.

As for the steakhouse, it costs an extra $35 whereas Guy's in included in the price. Huge difference. As for the Miracle, I've sailed her and was not impressed (no Blue Iguana and no big screen either). I'll take the Conquest class of above any day of the week.

Roatan has the monkies, HMC and GT do not (unless you're counting other passengers ;)).

Check out the Breeze out of Port Canaveral. We are sailing to MB on the Breeze in May 2019. Also Amber Cove, Dominican Republic has a Monkey Land Excursion that was great so maybe a cruise to this port could be an option.

If you are looking at the Carnival Monkey excursion in Mahogany Bay I would suggest you skip it. There is only one monkey and it was tethered, we interacted with it for less than a minute. Not worth the money. The Carnival Monkey Land Excursion in Dominican Republic was worth every penny. Lots of monkeys, roaming free within their large sanctuary. They jumped on our heads, climbed all over us, ate from bowls of food the staff gave us, it was a lot of fun.

For monkies in Roatan, I would do the Victor Bodden tour. You have monkies and birds climbing/sitting on you, a tour of the island, and a few hours at the beach all in one tour that is rather inexpensive (about $30 per person). If you have 4 people you can take a private tour with Victor Bodden ($100 total or $25 per person) and you can go wherever you want on the island.

Speak for yourself. You have no idea whether "most" of us would consider going to Cuba a plus.

Pretty sure he didn't say everyone. You also can't deny it is the new hot itinerary right now and I would agree with him the majority would see it as a bonus.

I hate to say it but Cuba is a far, far, better port stop than Mahogany Bay! I’d grab it in a heartbeat!

Honduras is one place I would not travel to on a land based trip, but that is JMHO. It has the highest murder ratio in the Caribbean, but to each their own.

Absolutely true! It is a terrible and dangerous place to visit. I’ve been there twice on cruises, and definitely not impressed.

Tampa is close enough to the south Florida ports. You have tons of options from there. Have you checked?

I have family in the Tampa area who, more than once the day of the cruise, drove over to Ft Lauderdale to cruise an itinerary they wanted.

We really enjoy Roatan and like some of the others we have no desire to go to Cuba so I understand the OP's motivations.