Major Itinerary Change, and not for the better

boomhower

For monkies in Roatan, I would do the Victor Bodden tour. You have monkies and birds climbing/sitting on you, a tour of the island, and a few hours at the beach all in one tour that is rather inexpensive (about $30 per person). If you have 4 people you can take a private tour with Victor Bodden ($100 total or $25 per person) and you can go wherever you want on the island.

Having done both Victor and Island Marketing and Gumbalimba for monkeys, I can definitely say that Island marketing was the best. The place they took us had 2 separate enclosures of monkeys - some of which were quite young and easiest to deal with. The plus of that stop is they bring out Sid the sloth who is adorable. Everyone got to hold and love him, as well as the monkeys. Had more time here with the animals than even at Victor’s place

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pretty sure he didn't say everyone. You also can't deny it is the new hot itinerary right now and I would agree with him the majority would see it as a bonus.

I didn't claim he stated everyone. I claimed (and quoted) he said most for which there is absolutely no data to present such a claim.

Of course Cuba is a hot itinerary simply because as you said, it's new. It's a new destination so many folks would rather go to somewhere new (even Cuba) than to go to Cozumel for the 12th time. And I still disagree that most everyone here would see it as a bonus based on what I have read on several Cuba threads in the past.

Personally, I'm just tired of people who think they can speak for others. People need to speak for themselves only.

OP.....I have to assume that you're currently booked on the March 2 sailing since that was the only one I found that the Paradise was going to Cuba. If you're not locked into that week, the March 16 sailing of the Paradise is still doing the same itinerary you were originally booked on going to Roatan. Secondly, the Miracle on March 3 is a 7 day sailing, not a six day one, so for the extra 125 bucks you would be increasing your cruise length from 5 to 7 days.

I didn't claim he stated everyone. I claimed (and quoted) he said most for which there is absolutely no data to present such a claim.

Of course Cuba is a hot itinerary simply because as you said, it's new. It's a new destination so many folks would rather go to somewhere new (even Cuba) than to go to Cozumel for the 12th time. And I still disagree that most everyone here would see it as a bonus based on what I have read on several Cuba threads in the past.

Personally, I'm just tired of people who think they can speak for others. People need to speak for themselves only.

LOL....ok.

While I understand your frustration, I think most of us would consider a change to Cuba a plus. There are tons of cruises that go to Roatan - very few that go to Cuba. Roatan is actually a pretty popular port IMHO, especially now that they no longer dock in Coxen Hole and have the very nice cruise facility. IF someone doesn't want to pay for an excursion, the beach there is quite nice.

I would advise taking a breath, look at the shore excursion options for Cuba and if there is still no appeal, I would take the credit and move to a different cruise, paying the difference. No point in taking a vacation that you don't want. Most cruises that go there are 7 days as it is relatively far west and south...so that is why you pay more.

Oh -and Miracle is going to have a steakhouse which is well worth it. So for every thing that one may or may not have, there is something else to enjoy. The Miracle class is a favorite of many on these boards.

I don't think this is a true statement. I'd rather go to Mahogany Bay than Cuba any day.

Speak for yourself. You have no idea whether "most" of us would consider going to Cuba a plus. I for one would cancel the cruise as there is no way I will ever visit a country that has a Communist regime in place. Since I don't speak for others I have no idea what others would think.

As for the steakhouse, it costs an extra $35 whereas Guy's in included in the price. Huge difference. As for the Miracle, I've sailed her and was not impressed (no Blue Iguana and no big screen either). I'll take the Conquest class of above any day of the week.

I think you're right that it's hard to speak for everyone. Everyone has different interests. Heck, there are people that don't like cruising or the Carribean.

As much as I have no love loss for communism, that wouldn't affect my trip. It can be argued that there's very few tropical vacation spots where the government has taken the best care of its people. As long as I'm safe, and there's stuff to do, I'll leave the politics out of it.

Another thing about the Miracle is that although it does not have a Guys, it does have Alchemy Bar and Red Frog Pub. Also the Miracle has an incredible Serenity Deck with it's own bar and pool. Hope whatever you decide works out for you. Have a great cruise!

Speak for yourself. You have no idea whether "most" of us would consider going to Cuba a plus. I for one would cancel the cruise as there is no way I will ever visit a country that has a Communist regime in place. Since I don't speak for others I have no idea what others would think.

I agree that saying that “most people consider going to Cuba a plus” may be a generalization, but the fact that Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian have all added a second ship that will sail regularly to Cuba, and MSC will add a ship sailing weekly to Cuba from Miami this winter, more than doubling industrywide capacity over a short span of time, along with the considerably higher prices for these itineraries, indicate that a lot of people indeed consider it a plus.

You can count me as one of the passengers who do consider Cuba a big plus. We were not planning on taking a cruise this summer, but when the opportunity to sail to Cuba materialized, we went ahead and booked a cruise specifically to go there. We’ve done our research and are expecting it to be a fascinating vacation!

I understand and respect that some people won’t consider Cuba because of their government. But, personally, if I were to boycott every country with some governmental or civilian practices that I don’t agree with, I would severely limit my ability to travel anywhere in this world, even within our own country.

I think it’s mistake to choose any cruise for the ports. They get cancelled or changed due to weather, mechanical difficulties and a host of other reasons. We’ve missed MB once and others more than that. And it’s also possible for the weather to be bad and you still make the port.

Would really suck to change you plans to go see Roatan Monkeys and miss the port anyway or have it rained out.

If you don’t want to go to Cuba, don’t go to Cuba, others have mentioned many other good options.

Me and my wife booked a cruise several months ago for next March. It's on the Paradise out of Tampa going to Cozumel and Mahogany Bay. We booked the cruise for the Mahogany Bay port, they have a monkey excursion my wife wants to take. We recently cruised the Elation and the Paradise is getting the same treatment so were extremely exited. Well, they have changed Mahogany Bay to Cuba. We have zero desire to go to Cuba, I'm sure it's a wonderful place to visit but it is not somewhere we want to go. Seems Mahogany Bay is not a popular port of call as few cruises go there. There is a 6 day Miracle for around 30% more but it is an extra day. My wife was pretty disappointed the Miracle doesn't have a Guys. They offered a $25OBC to change to another cruise. That would be fine but a comparable one doesn't exist, the 30% more is the only other cruise that even goes there anywhere near the time frame. Not wanting a free ride but putting us in a comparable room on the Miracle at the fair we paid plus the additional port fee for the extra port doesn't seem to far out of line. Just frustrated.

Disappointed because there is no Guy's grease bomb burgers. Please

My question would be Will this be your only cruise? You can (try) and go to Roatan again. We had chosen the Dream for this itinerary and then found our we had to change our dates. Our son told us that we was graduating college. It was a no brainer.

We would be at the graduation Heck or high water. We did add on some time after it at the Grand Canyon visiting with him and then we flew to Ft Lauderdale and got on the Conquest for the Christmas sailing. We didn't get to those ports at that particular time, but now again we are booked on that cruise for this coming December.

Roatan is not like a one shot wonder or a Journey Cruise port that rarely is hit. If it were my choice, I would definitely hit Cuba. My thought is to hit it before it becomes just another canned experience and the cruise ships ruin it. If you don't like the excursions, don't get off. -But wait. -if that is the case (I'm thinking that I heard something about having to purchase Visas for Cuba), you might want to switch to another choice. Are you stuck with a particular date? Did you choose this one for drivability? We have to fly no matter what port we go to, so it makes no difference there. Keep looking before you pull the trigger. It looks like Carnival offered you a decent deal. Happy Sailing!

I agree that saying that “most people consider going to Cuba a plus” may be a generalization, but the fact that Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian have all added a second ship that will sail regularly to Cuba, and MSC will add a ship sailing weekly to Cuba from Miami this winter, more than doubling industrywide capacity over a short span of time, along with the considerably higher prices for these itineraries, indicate that a lot of people indeed consider it a plus.

You can count me as one of the passengers who do consider Cuba a big plus. We were not planning on taking a cruise this summer, but when the opportunity to sail to Cuba materialized, we went ahead and booked a cruise specifically to go there. We’ve done our research and are expecting it to be a fascinating vacation!

I understand and respect that some people won’t consider Cuba because of their government. But, personally, if I were to boycott every country with some governmental or civilian practices that I don’t agree with, I would severely limit my ability to travel anywhere in this world, even within our own country.

Totally agree with you. Just think of the awful governments in some of the countries we visit, but it would not stop me from my travels. You do have to use caution in ANY foreign country, but that won’t keep me from Cuba. My 19 year old granddaughter visited there just last summer during here college break. She stayed there for a whole week, and her pics were amazing! This is the same girl that just travel to Shanghai, China and Bali, Indonesia this Easter Break. Do you think she’d have these experiences if she boycotted every country with a communist government? Hell, no!

You don't need to like Communism to visit Cuba. One of the things I learned during my visit and seeing things first hand, is that Cuba has some very unique issues. However, the other thing I learned is that the People, are just like you. They want to live a happy life and prosper. Cuba is an historical location, filled with the past and present, and hope for the future. That hope comes from education, and the exchange of cultures. The more people that visit, the more pressure is put onto the government to change. There are many places you can hang out with a monkey for 20 minutes. But spending a day in Havana can only happen in Havana, and the monkeys won't appreciate you any different, but the Cuban People will appreciate your visit, much more.

As for the steakhouse, it costs an extra $35 whereas Guy's in included in the price. Huge difference. As for the Miracle, I've sailed her and was not impressed (no Blue Iguana and no big screen either). I'll take the Conquest class of above any day of the week.

Just saying, I ate a hamburger for lunch yesterday, and it was great. Guy's is just a hamburger joint.

I think it’s mistake to choose any cruise for the ports. They get cancelled or changed due to weather, mechanical difficulties and a host of other reasons....

For example, I don’t think any cruise line will be calling on Rotaan’s Coxen Hole for a while...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/11/601411818/watch-giant-cruise-ship-smashes-into-dock-in-honduras

Me and my wife booked a cruise several months ago for next March. It's on the Paradise out of Tampa going to Cozumel and Mahogany Bay. We booked the cruise for the Mahogany Bay port, they have a monkey excursion my wife wants to take. We recently cruised the Elation and the Paradise is getting the same treatment so were extremely exited. Well, they have changed Mahogany Bay to Cuba. We have zero desire to go to Cuba, I'm sure it's a wonderful place to visit but it is not somewhere we want to go. Seems Mahogany Bay is not a popular port of call as few cruises go there. There is a 6 day Miracle for around 30% more but it is an extra day. My wife was pretty disappointed the Miracle doesn't have a Guys. They offered a $25OBC to change to another cruise. That would be fine but a comparable one doesn't exist, the 30% more is the only other cruise that even goes there anywhere near the time frame. Not wanting a free ride but putting us in a comparable room on the Miracle at the fair we paid plus the additional port fee for the extra port doesn't seem to far out of line. Just frustrated.

I am silently correcting your grammar. Itineraries change. You could enjoy a very quiet day on the ship. Actually a lot of ships go to Mahogany Bay. You could sail from a different port or try another cruise line.

I had the fabulous opportunity to attend a workshop by travel guide/educator Rick Steves last week. His talk discussed the similarities between libraries and world travel and how difficult it is to still remain closed minded after participating in either: libraries or world travel. I can attest to learning that we are way more alike then different, and how important cultural exchanges are when I lived abroad. My own children were born in another country. I would absolutely prefer visiting Cuba over Mahogany Bay. As a matter of fact, Cuba is on my bucket list and will most likely be my next cruise. What a fabulous opportunity to learn from Cubans and for them to learn from me! I would not pass up such an opportunity!

Think of all the old cars and fine cigars, OP!

I'm kidding (kind of).. My wife and I took our parents on a cruise last year including a stop at Mahogany Bay. My mom was born and raised in Honduras (mainland) and this was her first time back on Honduran soil in 40+ years. Was a special moment to be part of. Holding a sloth was a bucket list thing for my wife and I, so I do understand your frustration. There are two ways to look at it--

1) Roll with the punches and enjoy Cuba. The monkeys will be there in a couple years, the ability to visit Cuba -- who knows with the politics involved.

2) Step back, reassess and perhaps choose different dates if that's realistic.

Whatever happens you'll be on a great vacation with the woman of your dreams. Enjoy!

For example, I don’t think any cruise line will be calling on Rotaan’s Coxen Hole for a while...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/11/601411818/watch-giant-cruise-ship-smashes-into-dock-in-honduras

In my Cruise Director voice....."Welcome to a beautiful day in Roatan, the Captain got us here as fast as possible!"

In my Cruise Director voice....."Welcome to a beautiful day in Roatan, the Captain got us here as fast as possible!"

DH and I are laughing hysterically!

You don't want to go to Cuba, then don't go to Cuba! Check out some of the ships from NOLA, and actually have a great time before and after your cruise.

We went to Roatan and our friends went to see monkeys. The monkey bit our friend and almost took his ear lobe off. So you go have fun with those little furry demons. That said, there is a monkey adventure in the DR, why not take the Elation this may, on a 7 day cruise? And play with other monkeys? Good luck. DH doesn't want to go to Cuba either.

DH and I are laughing hysterically!

You don't want to go to Cuba, then don't go to Cuba! Check out some of the ships from NOLA, and actually have a great time before and after your cruise.

We went to Roatan and our friends went to see monkeys. The monkey bit our friend and almost took his ear lobe off. So you go have fun with those little furry demons. That said, there is a monkey adventure in the DR, why not take the Elation this may, on a 7 day cruise? And play with other monkeys? Good luck. DH doesn't want to go to Cuba either.

Laughing at your description of the monkeys, because I feel the same way! Several in our party went to see them when we were in Roatan, but hubby and I said “no thanks”, and headed straight to Tabayana Beach! They are dirty, evil little creatures that can (and do) become quite mean!

Booking a cruise based on a cruise port is very chancey What happens if its too windy to dock there? what if the waves are too choppy and cant dock.

Extreme disappointments can ruin a cruise.

Well I'm back, didn't mean to abandon the thread but have been out of town for work. I finally have a resolution to the issue but it wasn't quick, easy or without more frustration. My wife gave in on the choice of ship and I gave in on the duration of the cruise. We both gave a little and we decided on the 7 day Miracle cruise. I went to bed and she called to have it changed. Next day she told me that Carnival refused to wave the $100 transfer fee. I was livid. She sent them an email to every higher up she could find and got a call back a couple days. They waived the fee and added $50OBC which I was more than fine with, just wanted my $100 back. Just really upset me that the only reason for the change was them completely changing the cruise not to mention the change was to a cruise that was about 30% more in cost. Nice to have the matter finally settled and she gets the port she wants. Going to Cuba is just not an option, it's our personal feelings. She really wants the monkey excursion and from looking at the various ports and excursions this is by far the best port for it. In the end we are looking forward to the cruise so it worked out.