5 days in Rome before cruise

Travel, me and family

We ( my husband, I and our 9 year old son) will be staying in Rome for 5 days before go on the cruise. Any idea of what can we do or see around Rome? I was thinking of going to Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for couple of days. Thank you

Two outstanding areas, the Amalfi coast is number one on out list. You can easily do either one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And there's certainly enough sites in Rome to keep one occupied. We learned to use their subway to get around, and our hotel was close to the Vatican museums. If you pre-purchase tour tickets, you can by pass some of the lines to places like a museum or the Colliseum. A good guide book or some on line research can give you some ideas about places you may like.

Two odd or unique things we discovered about Rome: it cost extra to eat at an inside table in some restaurants/pizzerias, and people smoke everywhere they can.

We have been to Amalfi Coast and love that place. Not sure about Cinque Terre. How is the transportation? We are going back and forth on renting a car or train ride.

Nothing else we just stay in Rome. But don’t know what to do there for 5 days.

You can get to Cinque Terra via train. Getting between the towns is usually accomplished via water taxi. As mentioned, Rome can easily occupy you for 3 or 4 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

what ports do your cruise stop at.we did the double-decker hop on -hop off bus.tickets are good for 24 hrs.we stayed near the colosseum.lots to see around there.lots to see even walking around.we stayed around Quattro fontaine and nationale st.

Rome is a wonderful place to visit so not sure why you'd arrive there and then go somewhere else?? I'd research what you can see do in Rome before thinking about other places.

I'd also think about where else your cruise stops so that folks are not suggesting ports you'll visit on your trip.

There is more than enough in Rome to see for 5 days. If you stay there to see the city, I recommend a book called Mission Rome for your kid. Our 6 year old loved it. It helps you turn site seeing into a spy game for your kid. Our son did not complain at all about spending so much time looking at old buildings and stuff like that.

I was in Rome last summer, we booked a tour to Capri from Rome, we took a bus to Naples and then the ferry to Capri and it was the most amazing place I have ever been.

51523883242e607973746633a0cd4268.jpg

b07f491820b194c08bba28184298f0b9.jpg

f9d645c4c7e888bf198bcaa7af157a8a.jpg

If you’re wanting to do the Vatican, make sure to do a skip the line guided tour. There are also double decker hop on hop off tours everywhere that enjoyed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for all the great information... We have been to Rome so many times so while we will be there for 5 days, wanted to see different towns. My 9 year old is a traveler 😊 he is been to European Cruise all ready. He is a no problem child. 😊 We can’t wait to go ... Here is our itinerary

1Sunday

Civitavecchia, Italy

DEPARTURE 5:00 PMDAY 2Monday

Palermo, Italy

ARRIVAL 9:00 AM

DEPARTURE 5:00 PMDAY 3Tuesday

Cagliari, Italy

DEPARTURE 6:00 PMDAY 4Wednesday

Palma De Mallorca, Spain

ARRIVAL 3:00 PM

Day 5

Thursday

Valencia, Spain

DEPARTURE 4:00 PMDAY 6Friday

Marseille, France

ARRIVAL 1:00 PM

DEPARTURE 8:00 PMDAY 7Saturday

Genoa, Italy

DEPARTURE 6:00 PMDAY 8Sunday

Civitavecchia, Italy

ARRIVAL 7:

http://www.palazzovalentini.it/domus-romane/index-en.html

If you have never been to Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini, we highly recommend it! It's an ancient Roman home that's been excavated. They use lighting and multimedia to describe Roman life and illustrate what the home would have looked like in its heyday. Very cool. You also get an up close, unique look at Trajan's column. I think it would be a great family activity. You need to book in advance. It is a guided tour with relatively small tour groups given at specific times. Some people who showed up while we were waiting for our tour were turned away because they were sold out.

We spent a month in Rome a couple of years ago and never ran out of things to do.

Another unique activity is to tour the necropolis and Peter's tomb underneath the Vatican. You have to contact the Vatican and request permission to do this. Do it as far in advance as possible. They will email you and tell you if your request is granted and give you instructions. A very limited number of people get to do this (compared to the huge numbers that visit St Peter's every day) and it was very interesting. They are strict about arriving on time and wearing proper clothes. One man on our tour was refused because he was wearing shorts.

Have fun!

We have been to Amalfi Coast and love that place. Not sure about Cinque Terre. How is the transportation? We are going back and forth on renting a car or train ride.

Nothing else we just stay in Rome. But don’t know what to do there for 5 days.

I’ve spent almost two months in Rome, on and off and still haven’t seen everything.

Get a good guidebook with walking tours, never know what you’ll see. Last time we saw a newly ordained (?) Cardinal in his home church.

The big things are the Colosseum, Vatican, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori, Capitoline Museums, Forum. Lots of other places- Baths, Catacombs, Circus Maximus, lots of churches, Jewish Ghetto, Gianiculo, Trastevere, Cat Sanctuary etc

Lots of food— gelato, supli, pizza by the slice, 1€ coffee, Artichokes Jewish style (I hate artichokes, these are amazing)

Day trips by train- Pompeii, Florence

If you rent a car, be careful of where and when you can drive.