Wifi Social plan and iMessages

safulton79

So quick question about the Internet Packages. Can they be shared? I know is says that you can't be logged in at the same time. So you do have the ability to log out and then someone else log on from another phone? I just want to be able to use it when checking on thing back home and then log out and let my son log on and he can keep up with facebook and all things kids do. Is that possible or does each phone number have to have it's own package?
You were right the first time, they can be shared as long as one person logs out first. :)

So quick question about the Internet Packages. Can they be shared? I know is says that you can't be logged in at the same time. So you do have the ability to log out and then someone else log on from another phone? I just want to be able to use it when checking on thing back home and then log out and let my son log on and he can keep up with facebook and all things kids do. Is that possible or does each phone number have to have it's own package?

Yes. Person A logs out, person B logs in. Not a problem. Phone, laptop, tablet, doesn't matter which device is used as log as it is wifi capable.

My son is running in the Boston Marathon while we are cruising. I was told while on the Sunshine I could buy the $5/day plan to receive automated iMessages on my iPhone from the Marathon as he gets to certain points of the race. I can always call his girlfriend from our cabin at a cost but was hoping this would work. Hoping someone out there can give me some info.

My son is running in the Boston Marathon while we are cruising. I was told while on the Sunshine I could buy the $5/day plan to receive automated iMessages on my iPhone from the Marathon as he gets to certain points of the race. I can always call his girlfriend from our cabin at a cost but was hoping this would work. Hoping someone out there can give me some info.
Ideally, you can use iMessages using the Social plan, but reports vary on how reliable it works on that plan. Carnival technically doesn't support iMessages under Social. Also, keep in mind that the Social plan has to be bought for the entire cruise, it can't be purchased on a 24-hour basis like the other two. You could try it and if it doesn't work well, speak to Guest Services. Some have said they've been given refunds for unreliable wifi usage. You could use an alternative messaging app, like fb messenger or whatsapp, both of which are supported on the Social plan. Or you could upgrade to the Value plan where iMessages should work reliably.

Ideally, you can use iMessages using the Social plan, but reports vary on how reliable it works on that plan. Carnival technically doesn't support iMessages under Social. Also, keep in mind that the Social plan has to be bought for the entire cruise, it can't be purchased on a 24-hour basis like the other two. You could try it and if it doesn't work well, speak to Guest Services. Some have said they've been given refunds for unreliable wifi usage. You could use an alternative messaging app, like fb messenger or whatsapp, both of which are supported on the Social plan. Or you could upgrade to the Value plan where iMessages should work reliably.

Thanks. I understand about fb messenger but I really need the texts because those are automatically sent from the Marathon to show his progress in the race. So I’m trying to figure out the best option. I have free texting on the islands with my own provider. Unfortunately the Marathon is on a sea day....

Not sure what the package was called but we had the middle package on Vista in January and we could use iMessage and all social media apps with no issue. Also could surf the web and my wife made several phone calls a day while at sea through Wifi calling. She talked for 30 minutes at a time with very little issue with calls dropping. A few times there was a little delay but it would last a few seconds. My wife has a Iphone 7 and I setup wifi calling prior to leaving. Never was charged a penny because she was strictly on wifi with cellular turned off

Thanks. I understand about fb messenger but I really need the texts because those are automatically sent from the Marathon to show his progress in the race. So I’m trying to figure out the best option. I have free texting on the islands with my own provider. Unfortunately the Marathon is on a sea day....

If you only need for the one day I would consider purchasing one of the higher plans at the day rate. I think the middle plan for one day is cheaper than the base plan for the whole week.

Best wishes to your son for the Marathon!

So if I understand you correctly, the marathon organizers send out automated text messages updating people on the progress of the participants, is that correct? I thought you meant someone you knew would be there and send you messages.

So in that case, I doubt those messages will be sent as iMessages. They'll be sent as regular text messages, I'm assuming. For it to get to you as an iMessage, it would have to be sent as an iMessage from someone using an Apple device. If these marathon text alerts are a service anyone can sign up for, then my guess is they'll be normal texts. Sorry if that's confusing. Normal text messages work over a cellular network, not over wifi, so you can't get a normal text on one of the ship's internet plans. iMessages are different, that's why they can work over wifi. Ships do have an on-board cellular network, called Cellular at Sea, but that can be very expensive to connect to. You can talk to your cellular provider and ask them if they have a cruise plan that allows you to receive texts while connected to Cellular at Sea. Or you can wait until you get to port if you have free service there.

If you "need" the texts then you purchase the Value plan where iMessages is supported. With the Social plan, it may work or may not work. If it is an actual need, spend the extra money to support that need.

Not sure what the package was called but we had the middle package on Vista in January and we could use iMessage and all social media apps with no issue. Also could surf the web and my wife made several phone calls a day while at sea through Wifi calling. She talked for 30 minutes at a time with very little issue with calls dropping. A few times there was a little delay but it would last a few seconds. My wife has a Iphone 7 and I setup wifi calling prior to leaving. Never was charged a penny because she was strictly on wifi with cellular turned off

The middle package is the Value package. The cheapest is the Social package.

If you "need" the texts then you purchase the Value plan where iMessages is supported. With the Social plan, it may work or may not work. If it is an actual need, spend the extra money to support that need.

Yes I “need” the texts to be sure my son is safe. My point in asking this question was based on that. The year of the 2013 bombing my daughter was standing right between the two bombs that went off. I’m happy to pay for supporting that “need”. I just didn’t know which would be the best choice and came here for help with that. It’s not about the cost. It is that I don’t plan to be online or use social media for any other reason.

If you only need for the one day I would consider purchasing one of the higher plans at the day rate. I think the middle plan for one day is cheaper than the base plan for the whole week.

Best wishes to your son for the Marathon!

Thanks for your kind wishes! I will check out the middle plan for Marathon Monday. 😄

So if I understand you correctly, the marathon organizers send out automated text messages updating people on the progress of the participants, is that correct? I thought you meant someone you knew would be there and send you messages.

So in that case, I doubt those messages will be sent as iMessages. They'll be sent as regular text messages, I'm assuming. For it to get to you as an iMessage, it would have to be sent as an iMessage from someone using an Apple device. If these marathon text alerts are a service anyone can sign up for, then my guess is they'll be normal texts. Sorry if that's confusing. Normal text messages work over a cellular network, not over wifi, so you can't get a normal text on one of the ship's internet plans. iMessages are different, that's why they can work over wifi. Ships do have an on-board cellular network, called Cellular at Sea, but that can be very expensive to connect to. You can talk to your cellular provider and ask them if they have a cruise plan that allows you to receive texts while connected to Cellular at Sea. Or you can wait until you get to port if you have free service there.

Thanks for your kind wishes! I will check out the middle plan for Marathon Monday. 😄

Based on Organized Chaos post, you should probably double check how the auto-messages will be delivered. If they are also updated on a FB page you should be good. Maybe do some tests with your phone in airplane mode at home but connected to wi-fi and see if there are ways to get texts.

While I hope (and expect) that nothing tragic will happen, I don't think that your concern is unreasonable at all. Best wishes with finding a solution so you can cheer on your son from the sea:)

I did some digging and found this on the Boston Athletic Associations's website:

The B.A.A. will broadcast every five kilometer split to its website and family and friends can track your progress by logging in and entering your name or bib number. The "face" of the Boston Marathon website will change on race day and the process on how to enter the search will be clear. The AT&T Athlete Alert program allows messages to be automatically delivered to any US mobile phone, a pager, or any email address.

Alerts will be broadcast when your runner crosses the starting line, reaches the 10K, half marathon and 30K marks, and from the finish line. Runners or their family and friends can register in three ways:

• Via text message or SMS, (after registering, you'll receive a text message confirming how to complete registration).
  • Visiting the AT&T Athlete Alert Sign-Up page at the race website, www.baa.org, and sign up there.
  • Registering in person. Representatives will be available in the Bib Number Pick-up area at the John Hancock Sports & Fitness Expo

So aside from text messages, one option is to receive updates via email. You would need at least the Carnival Value plan to be able to check emails.

As far as text messages, it doesn't look like they'll be sent as iMessages, but as SMS (regular text messages that are typically transferred over a cellular network). One option you can try only works if you have a "Wifi Calling" capable phone. With iPhones, that's usually iPhone 6 or newer with most cell carriers. You would turn on Wifi Calling on your phone and connect to the ship's internet plan. I'm not sure if the Social plan would work for this, but from what I've read, it will with the Value & Premium plans. This allows you to receive regular texts messages through your carrier's network, but it happens over Wifi. For iPhone, to turn on Wifi Calling, go to Settings...Phone...Wifi Calling, and turn it on. If it's the first time, you'll have to go through some instructions and probably enter an address (for 911 purposes). If it asks for an address, since you'll be out to sea, you can just use your home address.

When you get on board the ship, if not right away then when you leave port, be sure to turn on Airplane Mode on your phone. Then you can turn Wifi back on. This will keep your phone from connecting to Cellular at Sea when they activate it, which can incur big charges to your cell bill. Home some of this helps. :)

We were on the Breeze Mar 25. I had the social media plan and was able to use iMessage with no problems. My hubby had just the hub chat plan we paid for NO internet for him other than the $5.00 to chat for the week.... he got iMessages too...... very weird but we did not complain :)