Royal Caribbean compared to Carnival questions

Hi everyone, I have been on seven Carnival cruises and have the Glory booked in January 2019, but frankly the Serenade of the Seas is about the same price for two more days at sea and I am seriously considering cancelling my Glory booking, but I have a slight apprehension on the unknowns of a new cruise line.

Faster to the Fun: I have had it on my last three cruises and have developed a slight addiction to getting on the boat quickly. It appears that RC has nothing similar, so I would have to give that up. I also do not see an assigned check in time, is RC handling check in as it used to be on Carnival? Check in anytime after the port opens, obtain a zone number based on arrival and Crown status and wait to be called? I am considering a suite, but I assume that would be the only way to get priority boarding for a first time cruiser to RC.

Shows: Would I need to book a reservation to see the shows and is that ever a problem for anyone?

Anything else you can suggest that new cruisers to RC miss?

Thanks

RC may send you a suggested check-in time, but does not enforce those on cruises out of US ports.

No show reservations on Serenade.

RC does not have a poolside grill.

Serenade does not require you to pre book any shows. The times will be opposite your MDR sitting. If you do my time dining you will need to adjust your dinner for show times.

Boarding early on Rccl is just no biggy. You can't get into your cabin until 1:00 or 1:30 anyway. A suite might get you on 30 min sooner, maybe.

Hi there. I wrote a comparison a few years back. Here's a link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2191052

I'm not loyal to either line and there are things I like about both of them (and things I prefer on Royal over Carnival and things I prefer on Carnival over Royal). I am a FTTF fan also, and there is no comparable product with Royal Caribbean.

I have not yet cruised on one of the megaships (Oasis or more recent), but my understanding is that those are the only ships where you need to make reservations for entertainment.

Some other random thoughts:

On RC, we found ourselves missing the Punchliner comedy club. On Carnival, we went there most nights and really enjoyed it.

On RC, we missed Guy's Burger Joint and decent pizza. The pizza we tried on Adventure of the Seas was awful--like $2 "value brand" frozen pizza.

On RC, we missed being able to do our own laundry. We pack lightly and on Carnival I generally do a load or two of laundry on the ship. They don't have self serve laundry on RC.

Edited by Laurin612
Added stuff
  • Like 1

Hi there. I wrote a comparison a few years back. Here's a link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2191052

I'm not loyal to either line and there are things I like about both of them (and things I prefer on Royal over Carnival and things I prefer on Carnival over Royal). I am a FTTF fan also, and there is no comparable product with Royal Caribbean.

I have not yet cruised on one of the megaships (Oasis or more recent), but my understanding is that those are the only ships where you need to make reservations for entertainment.

Thanks for your review, that is concerning though, all the things I hoped would be better on another line, you seem to prefer on Carnival. The food on my last Carnival cruise was really bad. Just nothing great available. Sure, they had plenty of mediocre food, but years ago it had so much more of a wow factor. Late night eating is something I complained about to Carnival. I would like to see the buffets open late. The shows are ok on Carnival, I am just tired of watching the same ones.

What we have found that we prefer on cruising is the smaller ships. We do not care for the bells and whistles of the large ships and prefer less people on board. The Serenade looks middle of the road in that aspect, more people than an Fantasy and Spirit class on Carnival, but less than the Glory. Also smaller than the Glory though. I do have a premium balcony booked on the Glory and would probably have a regular balcony on Serenade as the larger balconies appear to be sold out.

Just got off 9 days on Navigator of the Seas, which is larger and has more amenities than Serenade. Have cruised Carnival Conquest, which is similar to Glory. After the last 9 days, I would absolutely stay with the Glory. Even on the larger Navigator, food was awful and limited, and entertainment was limited compared to recent cruises on Dream, Triumph, and my prior cruise on Conquest. Although I am Diamond on RCI, I would not recommend a cruise on anything less than a Quantum or Oasis class, as it seems all resources are going there.

Hi,

I am diamond on rccl and platinum on carnival. My most recent cruises have been on carnival and ncl. I am sailing on the freedom of the seas on the 28th of this month.

carnival and rccl are 2 entirely different beasts. we sail alot out of los angeles because the port is only 20 minutes away and that is why i have been on so many carnival cruises you can get a 3 day for 199, that being said, i consider carnival the doublewide of the ocean. it is a very different group of people than you will find on rccl. i don't mean to insult anyone (i cruise carnival alot) but it is my opinion.

i do love the punchliner comedy club on carnival ships. all cruise lines should have this every night like carnival does it is wonderful.

hkmom

i hope i didn't piss anyone off, didn't mean to

What we have found that we prefer on cruising is the smaller ships. We do not care for the bells and whistles of the large ships and prefer less people on board. The Serenade looks middle of the road in that aspect, more people than an Fantasy and Spirit class on Carnival, but less than the Glory. Also smaller than the Glory though. I do have a premium balcony booked on the Glory and would probably have a regular balcony on Serenade as the larger balconies appear to be sold out.

DW and I prefer smaller ships too, sailed both Serenade and sister ship Jewel. We loved the views with all the glass, you can see the ocean from many vantage points on the ship. We were pleased with the dining room service and room stewards and thought food quality (subjective) was above average. Our very first cruise was on Carnival and we will be on the Sunshine in Nov. Regardless if you sail RCI, hope you have smooth seas and a great time.

You should try RCI— I personally prefer it hands down. It’s probably true that it may be just my personal cruise style, but I’ve loved the lounge acts on RCI. I also love the food choices a lot more. This week I’ve called RCI for two different reasons and I received excellent customer service both Times. My past experience on carnival has been the opposite. Its true, it’s been a bit since I’ve been on RCI as Ive been doing Disney the last few years with my little one but Ive been eager to return. I’ve never had a bad experience and I hope this streak continues. People have said for years and years that quality has declined on every ship (carnival and Royal). But you’ll never know what you like best until you give it a try. 2 extra days would do it for me.

Hi,

carnival and rccl are 2 entirely different beasts. we sail alot out of los angeles because the port is only 20 minutes away and that is why i have been on so many carnival cruises you can get a 3 day for 199, that being said, i consider carnival the doublewide of the ocean. it is a very different group of people than you will find on rccl. i don't mean to insult anyone (i cruise carnival alot) but it is my opinion.

I don't know that I'd go quite THAT far, but I can see your point. ;)Carnival prides itself on being a great cruise value, and tends to attract "value minded" cruisers. Read into that whatever you will. :)

I've been on Carnival and Royal. One thing I loved best about Royal was the food. It seems that I only get to eat escargot on cruises. Royal had it available EVERY night while Carnival only had it on the fancy pants night or in the upcharge dining.

I'm planning on booking a cruise when my tax refund comes in and it will be on Royal and not Carnival (not that I would never go back to Carnival).

I have about equal time on both lines. I prefer royal ships but prefer what carnival offers in terms of service and what is included at no charge. I am liking forward to going on one of the big ships in less than weeks.

I think you will enjoy RCI it is definitely worth a try.

I'm going on my first RCI , but seems like everything I want in a cruise is on Carnival....We're going on RCI because bro and father prefer this line and feels it's more "upper class" so to speak....

Carnival's pros (from what I experienced compared to what I have read on here)

Legit pizza

Poolside burgers (Guy's) and Mexican grill (Blue Iguana)

Dr. Seuss themed events for the kids

Punchliner Club

Price

RCI's pros

- Ice rink (wife and daughter may like this)

- Rock climbing wall (no big deal for me)

- Silly surf station (not for us)

- Better food?

I like Carnival.....I've been on Princess.....in all honesty, I never been on a cruise I didn't like......trying to convince the fam to do Carnival next summer though....

I'm going on my first RCI , but seems like everything I want in a cruise is on Carnival....We're going on RCI because bro and father prefer this line and feels it's more "upper class" so to speak....

Legit pizza

Punchliner Club

Price

RCI's pros

- Better food?

I like Carnival.....I've been on Princess.....in all honesty, I never been on a cruise I didn't like......trying to convince the fam to do Carnival next summer though....

The pros and cons very much depend on which ships you are talking about. No ice rink on the smaller RCL ships as an example. And by the way, the flowrider isn’t that silly. It is an awesome time and I was addicted after one time on it. It is far from a gimmicky activity, but I digress.

Many carnival ships will have more than the older rcl ships but no carnival ship will be close in comparison to oasis class.

But the Oasis class is much more expensive

Again depends which ship. Harmony is more than oasis and allure. Deals can def be had on those two.

This just highlights that you can’t just say royal vs carnival. You have to compare the ships themselves imo.

Legit pizza

Punchliner Club

Price

RCI's pros

- Better food?

Better food is subjective. RC USED to have the edge with food, but my family and I were sorely disappointed in the food on our last cruise on RC. Hopefully that was an anomaly, but from what I have been reading it was just the start of a cost-based decline in quality.

The ice rink and Flow Rider are not on all RC ships. I'm not sure about the rock climbing wall.

In my opinion, RC does have a more upper class feel, but I think that is pretty much because of the clientele being more white collar and wealthier. Carnival has more of a "fun" vibe, but it also has a more "working class" feel, pretty much because the clientele tends to be more blue collar and value conscious. While there are things that can annoy me about that sometimes, my family has commented that they prefer the vibe on Carnival, even though my husband and I are college graduates and work in the legal field. Your mileage, as always, may vary. :)

• Like 1

We have been on 16 RC cruises, went on a RC and Celebrity cruise last year and it's been MANY years since we cruised Carnival. The food is just subjective. You're never going to get agreement on it. We don't have any problem with the food in the MDR on RC and in spite of the fact that we heard that Celebrity's food was better, we didn't think it was better and felt we had less choices. We've never had bad service on RC. We love the RC ships and prefer the newer, larger ships. We waited to find a good deal on Allure and found a deal too good to pass up for this summer. While I don't participate with the FlowRider, I love sitting in the stands and watching it. Quite amazing. You'll find a different crowd on a short cruise than on a longer cruise. If you go on a short RC cruise on an older ship, the itinerary should be your main focus or you will be disappointed. On a newer, larger ship, you will be WOW'd.

I booked it. I have both cruises booked right now under cancellable rates. I am going to think about it for a few days and continue research. I unfortunately pulled the trigger too late for the sale and cost myself about $200. Looks like RC also has price drops though if it does not sell out.

I have been on MANY CARNIVAL CRUISES and ONE RCC obviously for me Carnival Wins in most categories for me. Keep in mind I was not on one of the newer oasis class Royal ships. I was on the second newest class. ( Sorry can't remember their name)

STATEROOMS- Carnival Wins. Carnival has larger staterooms than any other line I have been on. (except DISNEY) . They also to me just seem to have cleaner lines, and appear newer even on older ships.

MDR- Subjective but to me Carnival Wins. Royal food seems to me bland and tasteless. The staples seemed to be Chicken Cordenbleu and apple pie. I can get that at a Cracker Barrel at home. And desserts are far better on Carnival. That melting cake can never be repeated. I will say I loved the Creme Brule on RCL.

BUFFET/POOL FOOD- Carnival again wins. The windjammer was not that great and offered the same food every day. Carnival buffet seems to rotate. Also RCL has no poolside grill etc. I really missed other free options on the lido such as Guys and Blue Iguana and Pizza Pirate on Carnival.

NOTE: I will say even though it was a fee I loved Johnny Rockets on RCL. (Better than Guys shhh)

SHOWS: This is where RCL wins. I never really LOVE the shows on Carnival.. kinda like a high school show choir; it was good but nothing spectacular. Royal shows are really top quality.

Lounges/Bars- Carnival wins here as well. Comedy shows are much better on carnival. As are just about every activity in any of Carnivals aft lounges.

LATE NIGHT FOOD- Carnival wins with Pizza Pirate. Coudln't find any late night food on Royal.

Ships- Royal wins. They are just a but more classy than most Carnival Ships. But that doesn't draw me back. I'll take everything I love about Carnival, and put up with the GAUDY decor.

just a few reasons why for me CARNIVAL WINS over Royal

I have been on MANY CARNIVAL CRUISES and ONE RCC obviously for me Carnival Wins in most categories for me. Keep in mind I was not on one of the newer oasis class Royal ships. I was on the second newest class. ( Sorry can't remember their name)

STATEROOMS- Carnival Wins. Carnival has larger staterooms than any other line I have been on. (except DISNEY) . They also to me just seem to have cleaner lines, and appear newer even on older ships.

MDR- Subjective but to me Carnival Wins. Royal food seems to me bland and tasteless. The staples seemed to be Chicken Cordenbleu and apple pie. I can get that at a Cracker Barrel at home. And desserts are far better on Carnival. That melting cake can never be repeated. I will say I loved the Creme Brule on RCL.

BUFFET/POOL FOOD- Carnival again wins. The windjammer was not that great and offered the same food every day. Carnival buffet seems to rotate. Also RCL has no poolside grill etc. I really missed other free options on the lido such as Guys and Blue Iguana and Pizza Pirate on Carnival.

NOTE: I will say even though it was a fee I loved Johnny Rockets on RCL. (Better than Guys shhh)

SHOWS: This is where RCL wins. I never really LOVE the shows on Carnival.. kinda like a high school show choir; it was good but nothing spectacular. Royal shows are really top quality.

Lounges/Bars- Carnival wins here as well. Comedy shows are much better on carnival. As are just about every activity in any of Carnivals aft lounges.

LATE NIGHT FOOD- Carnival wins with Pizza Pirate. Coudln't find any late night food on Royal.

Ships- Royal wins. They are just a but more classy than most Carnival Ships. But that doesn't draw me back. I'll take everything I love about Carnival, and put up with the GAUDY decor.

just a few reasons why for me CARNIVAL WINS over Royal

I’ve been on many carnival cruises but pretty much do Royal now. I do think most royal ships beat carnival ships by a landslide in shows. Many other things you mention are subjective but I do agree with you on several of them. One thing not in your comments is suites. When it comes to suites royal also beats carnival by a landslide in terms of variety and the perks.