Controlling Child’s Spend

Does anyone know if there is a way you can set a limit that a child can spend onboard each day? Just trying to avoid being bankrupted!

Yes, you can go to Guest Services and establish a limit. However, double check with them if the limit works at the arcade. There have been reports that they say they cannot limit arcade spending.

Not sure about nowadays, but here's a funny story for you. On our first cruise in 1995, our son was in 8th grade. We were cruise newbies plus there were no drink packages in those days. Little did we know that our son had made friends with the bartender in one of the bars and ordered coke every time he was in there. On the last night we all headed up to that bar and the bartender said, "Your usual, Master Wood?" That was our clue to check our on board expense account. Dear son had totaled up quite a bill for cokes that week. So I think you're pretty smart to figure it out ahead of your cruise. Happy cruising!

Yes, you can go to Guest Services and establish a limit. However, double check with them if the limit works at the arcade. There have been reports that they say they cannot limit arcade spending.

That’s what we had heard....nightmare [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How old is this "child"? If they aren't old enough to follow your rules on spending, then they are not old enough to be going "out and about" on their own. Tell them how much you are allowing them to spend, and when it's gone, it's gone....no more, no excuses. If a child can't follow the parent's rules, then that child needs to be with the parent's at all times.

How old is this "child"? If they aren't old enough to follow your rules on spending, then they are not old enough to be going "out and about" on their own. Tell them how much you are allowing them to spend, and when it's gone, it's gone....no more, no excuses. If a child can't follow the parent's rules, then that child needs to be with the parent's at all times.

I know some adults who don't follow rules on spending! :p

How do you control the spending at home?

He has certain limits imposed, when we go away he gets a certain amount each day, but once it’s gone it’s gone....bit harder to do with a card/band

He will be 11, so more of a fail safe option than anything else

He has certain limits imposed, when we go away he gets a certain amount each day, but once it’s gone it’s gone....bit harder to do with a card/band

Sounds like you have your answer, have a great cruise

Can’t you set it up so they have no ability to spend on their cards. I think I did that on my daughter’s card. That way they have to be with you if they want to buy something.

It’s our first ever cruise, so just trying to find out what can/cannot be done

It’s our first ever cruise, so just trying to find out what can/cannot be done

I wish I had more info for you but it appears this is one option. I get it that it can be hard with a card. Kids are kids and don’t always understand and/or make mistakes. That is why we don’t give 12 year olds credit cards. Lol.

You can check his spending on the in room account information on the TV daily. If he abuses his spending privileges/goes over, you can shut off the spending ability on his card.

Parenting advice too, the OP is getting a 2 for 1 value on this inquiry ;p

They always had a soda package, and the card was always locked out from spending. The Way I did it was they had to ask me to buy something, and usually I would just say no, so that solved it. Of course I let them spend on their own when they were 18, and used their own credit card.

I never gave them my credit card to go spend, so why would I give them access to my credit on the ship?

You can call it parenting advice if you want, but I call it fiscal management. 11 year olds don't need to spend money, unless they earned it themselves.

My gameplan for my kids spending: ages 14 & 11

Each have the refreshment package.

I have been told by many that I can buy arcade cards that I can put a preset amount on. They have both earned about $50 for this with extra chores.

If this is not an option I may give them cash.

I’m not giving them the optionto spend on their sail pass cards.

My gameplan for my kids spending: ages 14 & 11

Each have the refreshment package.

I have been told by many that I can buy arcade cards that I can put a preset amount on. They have both earned about $50 for this with extra chores.

If this is not an option I may give them cash.

I’m not giving them the optionto spend on their sail pass cards.

Ship is pretty much cashless

He will be 11, so more of a fail safe option than anything else

I don’t think it’s wrong for this person to allow her 11 year old some freedom to be on the ship and make their own purchases while keeping a budget, but still wanting to have a safeguard on the account. Banks do this to adults all the time by declining purchases that go beyond a spending limit.

It’s easy for a kid to overspend on accident, even if they’ve been given a limit and are responsible. It’s easy, even as an adult, to nickel and dime money and forget things you spent money on and not track it properly. It could be just as easy, or easier, for an 11 year old to not realize they misread the price, or to get talked into buying something additional, assuming the salesperson was offering it up for the same or similar price etc.

These opportunities are great ways to help kids learn to keep track of their spending and budget their money. It requires them to think and do math, to learn how to track their spending and to figure out what works best for them, without having an adult right next to them telling them the math and taking away their need to think for themselves. Having a spending limit doesn’t mean the kid isn’t old enough to be on their own, it’s actually a really responsible way for the parent to help teach their kids while making sure any mistakes they make don’t break the family bank unnecessarily.

On our first cruise our two kids shared a room (son was junior in college, daughter was freshman in high school). We gave them the freedom to spend as they wish. Neither were into arcade games and stuff like that so we did not worry. Besides, we had raised them to be responsible.

When we got the bill on the last day for our account we immediately noticed a consistent purchase for both of them:

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

We just had a good laugh and paid the bill. The vacation was planned for us to have one last trip together and for all to have a good time. If that meant they bought a lot of ice cream...oh well.