White Pass train or train/bus excursions

cruisingrookie

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being Kansas and 10 being a wooden bridge over a 500 foot chasm, I would rate it about a 5. I have never had issues. It's curvy with a few drop-offs, but the train is actually much scarier than the road when it comes to that.

When I think of scary roads we've driven, the road to Hana (once, never again) and the Amalfi Coast (many times) come to mind; not the road to/from the White Pass. That said, the day we came down the White Pass road at one point the fog was so thick that I couldn't believe the driver kept on driving! I had to keep telling myself that he must know the road like the back of his hand and he wouldn't drive us over the side. Thankfully we were out of the fog within minutes because I was holding my breath for most of that time!

As scary as it was, it hasn't swayed me to not do it again - we're taking our son and daughter-in-law this July.

I recommend the bus / train combo. My daughter has trouble with motion sickness at times, but had none on the bus or train. The combo gives you different views and we saw 2 bears on the bus portion of the trip and the driver was able to stop so we could get pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done this trip/excursion many times. I've encountered fog, icy roads, hair pin curves, my wife is prone to car sickness and she never got the least bit sick. I recommend you trip the bus up to Caribou crossing just past Carcross, have the chicken lunch and take the train back down to Skagway in the afternoon. Be sure to sit on the right side of the bus going up and the right side of the train coming down.

Having done the train RT and a van RT I would recommend the train bus combo as it gives you the best of both worlds. Did not find the bus trip particularly scary.

I have done the train 2x and the bus 2x. The combination is the best of both worlds.

I also agree that it is not a scary drive. No worries here.

I have also rented a car 2x.