Strange e-mail from Holland America line?

Al54

I just received a very strange email, supposed to be sent by HAL beginning with " We Hate to See You" followed by an "id number". As I found it suspect, I deleted it immediately, without opening : does anybody else received such a mail?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just received a very strange email, supposed to be sent by HAL beginning with " We Hate to See You" followed by an "id number". As I found it suspect, I deleted it immediately, without opening : does anybody else received such a mail?

I would be suspect as well. but HAL's website has been so flukey lately , maybe it is sending

ghost e mails. ? ;p

Edited by sail7seas

I saw this happen in a Twitter message. A jazz singer wrote in French a message with the word “hate” that should be translated to hasten. Twitter auto-translated but kept the word hate intact. This singer inadvertently tweeted that she hates to play at a certain venue. She meant I hasten or am getting ready to play there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay, you've really piqued my interest - what on earth did you do on your last cruise that they now hate to see you? :evilsmile: LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The id number is your Mariner number. The email is related to an updated privacy policy and you need to update preferences for contact, probably initiated by the GDPR Directive which comes into effect next month.

P.S. This is a EU Directive so it will probably only be EU residents who receive this email.

PPS, GDPR is General Data Protection Resolution

Yes, I'm in EU, but the problem is that I Never cruised with HAL, so, I think I don't have any "mariner" number, and the first sentence is not very.....appealing! The only "Carnival group" cruiseline I cruised with is Cunard and I have a future cruise booked on Princess, but they are not supposed to merge their loyalty programs, so I still don't understand why HAL sent me this aggressive mail!

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Yes, I'm in EU, but the problem is that I Never cruised with HAL, so, I think I don't have any "mariner" number, and the first sentence is not very.....appealing! The only "Carnival group" cruiseline I cruised with is Cunard and I have a future cruise booked on Princess, but they are not supposed to merge their loyalty programs, so I still don't understand why HAL sent me this aggressive mail!

I don't feel that it is 'aggressive', however I agree the first line is a little unusual. I believe that it is implying that if you do not update your contact preferences they will not be send you any emails. Though, I must admit, I have never received an email from them until today!

Perhaps you signed up on the HAL website for emails?

Oh my! I got thank you for cruising HAL and a Welcome back<< I put a deposit down on a future cruise. What you received could have been SPAM.:o

Hey Sail7seas! notice my 4th star??!! Took so long to get there LOL I luv you sail........u r my fav on CC! *bigHugs*

Edited by shandryl

What you received could have been SPAM.:o

Why do you think it is Spam? I have already stated the reason for the email. It is to do with the new GDPR in Europe.

It is necessary for contacts to update their 'opt in' permissions so that the company can continue to send emails etc after the new directive comes into force on May 25th.

I have received these from various companies including Hilton Hotels, NH Hotels, HAL etc.

Why do you think it is Spam? I have already stated the reason for the email. It is to do with the new GDPR in Europe.

It is necessary for contacts to update their 'opt in' permissions so that the company can continue to send emails etc after the new directive comes into force on May 25th.

I have received these from various companies including Hilton Hotels, NH Hotels, HAL etc.

We had similar legislation enacted here a few years ago. I suspect the title of the email was intended to say something like " We Hate to See You LEAVE" along with the ID #. Either there was a typo made, or the field was too short to accommodate the "leave" part.

looking at my inbox, the following text is visible..........

Name - An Important Message from Holland America Line - We'd Hate to See You Go ID#xxx

The body of the message reads:

WE DON’T WANT YOU TO MISS OUT…We’ve recently updated our privacy policy and need your assistance to stay connected! To be informed of our news, offers, discounts and new cruises as they are introduced, please update your preferences using the link below. It’ll only take a couple of minutes and will mean you’ll never miss out on the latest from Holland America Line.

Seems ok to me.

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe because English is not my mother language, I misunderstood this (a wee "dramatized"!!!) sentence. Call me paranoïd, but I have always been told : "never open a mail asking you to give or change your personal data when you're not sure about the sender". As I never travelled with HAL, I really thought it was phishing. Sorry.

If you ever sailed with any of he t arnival Corporation Family of ships, you might have been assigned a Mariner Number. (Carnival cruise lines are P & O, , cunard, Princess, Costa Carnival, HAL and.) days on other lines are not reciprocally credited to any line and only apply to the one(s) on which you earned the days.[/i]

Edited by sail7seas

I had a Mariner number before I cruised on HAL based on my having cruised on Cunard. It's not a merger of the loyalty programs, it's shared marketing info.

You get (minor) benefits on your first cruise on a partner Carnival group line for having sailed on another Carnival Group line. They treat you similarly to someone returning for their second cruise on that line.

If you don't want to receive any marketing communications from Holland America you can ignore the email, I think.