For danube cruise, start in budapest or nuremberg????

etravel

HELLO...looking at a Viking or Avalon on the Danube and trying to decide which direction is best to cruise? REALLY wanted to do the Avalon 2 nights Prague and then depart from Nuremberg, but having trouble talking my husband into being away for that many days...So then decision would be if we do 1 pre-night, do it in Budapest or Nuremberg? I know a lot of people say it's really cool to sail into Budapest with the lights and such, but then am worrying if that's enough time to see the city and maybe doing the extra night there would give us another day in Budapest..Or Nuremberg would that area be fun to do the 1 pre-night? Sorry so lengthy, and thanks in advance for any advice!

That is a tough one. I like Prague, but it is a long time ago that I was there so my memory is a bit hazy, but I would nevertheless suggest spending more time in Budapest. I dare confuse you further, sorry, by asking if you might have the option of flying to or from Munich which is sometimes used as an alternative airport for a river cruise to or from Nuremberg. There is lots to see in Nuremberg and in the area, for sure.

Nuremberg to Prague or vice versa is a longish coach ride which might considerably reduce your time in Prague.

I am sure others will help you very soon with their suggestions. :)

notamermaid

Thanks, that's very helpful..that's what I am a bit worried about with Prague b/c it's such a distance and we could barely do 2 nights..but doing 1 extra in Budapest seems to be a pretty viable option....:)

I would do my extra night in Budapest post cruise. That way I could see things not included in the ship's tour(s) and not run the risk of repeat visits to sights. Also you can get advise from the program director.

HELLO...looking at a Viking or Avalon on the Danube and trying to decide which direction is best to cruise? REALLY wanted to do the Avalon 2 nights Prague and then depart from Nuremberg, but having trouble talking my husband into being away for that many days...So then decision would be if we do 1 pre-night, do it in Budapest or Nuremberg? I know a lot of people say it's really cool to sail into Budapest with the lights and such, but then am worrying if that's enough time to see the city and maybe doing the extra night there would give us another day in Budapest..Or Nuremberg would that area be fun to do the 1 pre-night? Sorry so lengthy, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Budapest is actually two cities, Buda and Pest on opposite sides of the Danube connected by a series of bridges. There is plenty to see and experience for several days of independent travel.

Tell your Husband to spend the extra time and money and enjoy the scenery, culture, food and people.

Vienna is also a “must” along the Danube for 2-3 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am doing the Avalon pretour 3 days in Prague to Nurenburg to Budapest beginning May 22. I want to make the most of it so I am doing an extra day in Budapest; then 2 days in Amsterdam, Paris, And Edinburgh each before flying home. While in Prague I have arranged a tour of Jablonec and the Czech bead factories. This is going to be awesome!

I believe there is an advantage to going downstream rather than upstream, as you may spend more hours in each port. Others have reported this at least, I am not an expert with river sailing speeds.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe there is an advantage to going downstream rather than upstream, as you may spend more hours in each port. Others have reported this at least, I am not an expert with river sailing speeds.

Probably a dumb question, but which way is downstream?!! (Just starting my research on this itinerary.)

On the Danube, into Budapest would be downstream. But Nuremberg itself is on the Danube-Main canal, and I'm not sure which direction it flows there; if I remember there was a point where the canal changes direction, because you go up locks and then come down, but I don't remember on which side Nuremberg lies.

Assuming the ship docks close to Nuremberg industrial harbour you essentially go "upstream" after that for around 26km, reach the European main water shed where you sail "level" for 17 km and then with the next lock go "downstream" again, i.e. down with the locks and then all the way down to Budapest.

notamermaid